Looking at Carli 2.5 commuter or backcountry, few questions for carli guys.

sstrobl

Reaction score
so tax time has finally rolled around for me and it opens up some better options as far as a lift or level. im young and i dont make a ton of money but i want to get a good kit that drives good on the street. what i would really like to do is the 2.5 commuter or backcountry and run 37s on my stock 08-10 20" lariat rims. i have a few questions tho,

for a guy doing 98% street driving is the ride going to benefit alot from the resi back country vs the $500 cheaper commuter non resi?

same question for the addapacks vs the full leafs, im leaning towards full leafs because ive read its night and day better then stock but is it alot better on the street then the $700 cheaper addapack that comes with the kit?

if i had to pick one of the two which would be better for daily driver ride?

and for the wheel and tire combo, carli recomends 17-18" rim with 5-5.5" BS and 35" tires but ive seen quite a few guys running 37s on this kit. would i be able to keep the stock wheels (no idea on backspacing) and run 37s, or if i sold my rims and bought 18s with the correct BS whats needed to clear 37s. im ok with minor trimming but i dont want it to rub after!

also to guys running 37s, how much mileage loss did you have jumping to 37s? im running 33s and getting like 14.5 now so if its a fuel killer going that big i may just go 35s

ive looked thru the leveled thread and done some research but i wanted to ask these specific questions to guys running these kits on their 6.7s. thats why i posted here and not the suspension section. hopefully i dont get killed with the search button response

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Skip the resi's, they are for cooling the shock and you'll never heat them up on the street.

Save your money on the shocks and do the full leaf pack.

I prefer 35's myself but can't comment on how 37's fit on a 2.5" kit.

sootie

Reaction score
Backcountry with the full leafs will be the best ride possible on the street

WHY NOT

Reaction score
the 37's on stock wheels will rub the radius arms pretty good at full lock. 35s on stock wheels may rub just a hair, usually not even enough to feel

jwalk09

Reaction score
I have the 2.5" Carli coils with bilsteins only in the front. Just threw a 4" block in the rear instead of the leaf pack. Honestly it rides fine. I'm sure the leaf pack would ride better but wasn't worth it to me and still isn't. I'd get the fox 2.0 all around though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
I have the 2.5" Carli coils with bilsteins only in the front. Just threw a 4" block in the rear instead of the leaf pack. Honestly it rides fine. I'm sure the leaf pack would ride better but wasn't worth it to me and still isn't. I'd get the fox 2.0 all around though

I'm assuming you haven't ridden in in truck with remote resis and full pack if you say that...

Notneb

Reaction score
Get the commuter but go with full rear leafs, remote resiviours are more for off road heat management. Also they are more expensive to service where fox 2.0's will run you $200 bucks to get fully serviced.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Exactly, a nice shock will ride nice resi's or not, the big improvement will be good dual rate coils and the progressive leaf pack.

jwalk09

Reaction score
I'm assuming you haven't ridden in in truck with remote resis and full pack if you say that...

No I haven't. But the setup I have now is not making me want to improve the ride even more. But like I said I'm sure it does ride better and it should.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Skip the resi's, they are for cooling the shock and you'll never heat them up on the street.

Save your money on the shocks and do the full leaf pack.

I prefer 35's myself but can't comment on how 37's fit on a 2.5" kit.

This would be true if you were dealing with a Factory tuned shock from fox.

Carli has tuned the backcountry shock (2.0 resi) to be a good on/Offroad contender for the average guy without breaking the bank.

The tuning in the commuter vs backcountry is totally different. The commuter does not compete with the back country as far as Offroad capability.

The commuter is 100% designed at the average guy that might take the truck down the lease road every once in a while but the truck is mainly used for street driving.
The backcountry shock was designed around the user that wants to run a 20"+ wheel and use the truck both on and Offroad without breaking the bank.

The resi in this case of comparison is a null argument. The tuning is completely different in the two shocks.

If money permits, yes go full leaf as that will make a huge difference on and Offroad. But realistically for the average guy, on an 11+ with the already soft spring pack, the add-a-pack will be sufficient and you can spend the extra money on the shock upgrade which will make you happier when you do decide to jump off road.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I've ran 37s with a 2.5in CARLI coilover setup. Mileage went to 12.-13 With Emissions.

Rims had 5.5in back spacing and zero offset. I also had CARLI radius arms so I didn't rub there, only rubbed the fender liners in which I trimmed. And had the tire hit the fender corner in a extreme off camber off-road situation. Very hard to duplicate.

I personally would go to a 35 only. Better MPG. And zero rubbing

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I've ran 37s with a 2.5in CARLI coilover setup. Mileage went to 12.-13 With Emissions.

Rims had 5.5in back spacing and zero offset. I also had CARLI radius arms so I didn't rub there, only rubbed the fender liners in which I trimmed. And had the tire hit the fender corner in a extreme off camber off-road situation. Very hard to duplicate.

I like a 35 as well. I went to a 325/60/20 or 35.6x13/20 and even that affected my mileage more than I thought with my previous 35's....

sstrobl

Reaction score
after looking thru the carli page on another forum the 35s look so small cuz most of them are running 37s but alot are the 4.5 also. im thinking for practicality ill prolly go with the 35s but i really like the look of 37s alot more. if its a matter of wheels to make them fit i could possibly sell my stockers and get some method 18s. idk im still in the air. i saw toyo makes the mt in a 315/70/r18 which is a 36/13 so i may go that route and be in the middle of the two

Profuzz

Reaction score
3bf69610c9e5b48186935af4af079632.jpg
2.5 level kit w/ 315/70×18 mt (sorry my 06 )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

sstrobl

Reaction score

what gears do you have in your truck?

sstrobl

Reaction score
3.55s

me too, i was about 13.5 till the truck shed some belly fat now its about 14.5. im thinking if i went 37s id be back to low 13s or worse. but id be ok with that if i could have to look of the bigger tires.

Latest posts