Differences in tuners

gnxtc2

Reaction score
First off, I'm clueless of the different type of tuners out there. So I'm starting this thread so the pros/cons of each could be in one location.

Which have deeletes, still retain exhaust brake feature, tow programs, etc, etc.

To the vendors, please don't reply with "call us and we'll discuss your needs"...please don't take offense to that. You can post the pros/cons.

- H&S
- SCT
- nGauge
- Minimaxx

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

Notneb

Reaction score
If you're talking about your '16, SCT and $partan nGauge/nDash are your only options in the actual tuning device.

Someone else can chime in about GH/AS tunes, but here's my pro's/con's for P!P and $partan:

P!P
Pro's: City driving *smooth shifts*
TPMS adjustability
Price *half that of nGauge*
Con's: Not as fast/firm of a shift when "getting on it"
Pedal travel before downshift *takes an agressive pedal input, still some lag*

$partan
Pro's: Amazing shifting
Customer support is the best
SOTF capability
Twice the "tune's" as other tuners *Enhanced and Race modes*

Con's: Price *most expensive tuner*
TPMS not adjustable * constant low tires reminder*

Can't think of anything else right now!

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Thanks....

So with the '16 the only choices are SCT and $partan. What is the difference between the nDash and nGauge? With the $partan, do you loose the exhaust brake feature?

With the tuners mentioned, does one plug into the OBD port and reflash the ECM or is there something that sits on the dash?

Please forgive me as I'm coming over from the 7.3 platform where we use chips and dials to change tunes.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Teslawhiskey

Reaction score
Subscribed.

Thanks for this thread, swapping out the 6.0 for a '16 soon and I've been wondering this myself.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks....

So with the '16 the only choices are SCT and $partan. What is the difference between the nDash and nGauge? With the $partan, do you loose the exhaust brake feature?

With the tuners mentioned, does one plug into the OBD port and reflash the ECM or is there something that sits on the dash?

Please forgive me as I'm coming over from the 7.3 platform where we use chips and dials to change tunes.

Billy T.
[email protected]

The spar tan can either plug in and stay as a gauge monitor on the dash or you can unhook it and remove . The sct x4 you just flash and remove. The sct livewire can stay on the dash as a monitor as well. There's really a lot of options , gimme a call and I can explain it in depth and give you some ideas what you're looking at price wise.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
What they said. Bigrpowr has posted that AS/G-noggin retains the brake on their tow tune, IIRC. The 300 has also indicated that they are working on making it functional. I'm sure that has moved up in importance since they have begun releasing shift on the fly. From reading on here, I have a feeling that it won't be released until it works and works right.
Everyone hates the SCT for monitoring. I only use mine for EGT, but I've never used anything else, so I'll have to defer to everyone else to inform you on why it sucks b@lls. Lol.
Either can be unplugged once flashed.
I'm running IDP because they were the best at the time, but have since stopped supporting that which you seek and neither the 300 nor G-noggin was available.
I think you'll be happy with either the 300 or G-noggin.

Notneb

Reaction score
To answer the questions more directly:

So with the '16 the only choices are SCT and $partan. What is the difference between the nDash and nGauge? nGauge is very limited in what it can monitor, you CAN do it, but honestly I just used it to plug up, flash a tune, and disconnect. Now when the Shift On The Fly modules come in, I'm not sure how that will work, but we'll have word on that soon. nDash is more for monitoring, HOWEVER it's not yet ready for '15/'16 year's yet.

With the $partan, do you loose the exhaust brake feature? You don't lose it, but it only works on Tow/Haul mode. Alberta $speed/Gearh**d puts it on their tow tune *on 24/7* With P!P, the story is the same, with tow/haul mode on it works. Keep in mind you can also contact these Tuner's direct and they can modify their "canned" tunes for you. The customer support is fantastic for both, but $partan is much MUCH more active on these forums. You need to get on Facebook/Email to chat with P!P, but usually within 10min they've responded.

With the tuners mentioned, does one plug into the OBD port and reflash the ECM or is there something that sits on the dash? Both nGauge and SCTx4 plug right into the OBD and you can flash and forget. The nDash is more geared towards monitoring, pretty much like the Mini Maxx operated. nDash is NOT out for '16's yet though.

JRLott

Reaction score
With the $partan, do you loose the exhaust brake feature? You don't lose it, but it only works on Tow/Haul mode. Alberta $speed/Gearh**d puts it on their tow tune *on 24/7* With P!P, the story is the same, with tow/haul mode on it works. Keep in mind you can also contact these Tuner's direct and they can modify their "canned" tunes for you. The customer support is fantastic for both, but $partan is much MUCH more active on these forums. You need to get on Facebook/Email to chat with P!P, but usually within 10min they've responded.

Did not know this about the 300. Thanks for correcting me.

JRLott

Reaction score
Please tell me you aren't that simple minded and dense too make the correlation between the movie that made the Battle of Thermopylae, Xerxes I, and King Leonidas of fv(&ing SPARTA household names.

*******...nothing but *******...300...shows up just fine.

Alternatively, it is the whole number between 299 and 301.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Ya I am that simple minded. I don't watch movies like that. But I get it now.

Household name lol get a life man, no need to be a dick.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
Was just fvckin with you. Don't take my bsing serious. I didn't watch it until it had been out for...ever. That was just because someone had it on a hard drive and I'd heard so many people talking about it that I wasted 2 hours of my life watching it. So, you've returned the dickishness in kind by assuming I don't have a life because I've seen a movie that's been out 7 or 8 years.

TexAg56

Reaction score
I have SCT with Ghead tunes. I am happy with them, although I have never drove or rode in another 6.7 with different tunes to compare them too. I remember the day I deeleted and tuned. I drove the truck for 10-15 mins to get it warm than did a boosted 4x4 launch. I was trippin! Lol. These trucks really pop off the line. Now I seem like I am used to it and it still feels great but the first launch was fkn awesome lol. Ghead also has updated my tunes several times and have never charged me. I would recommend them to anyone who doesnt want to fork out the extra cash and go the sparrtan route. Although Id love to have the sparrrtan tunes cause I only hear great things about them

Jomax

Reaction score
I have Alberta, and absolutely love them, shifting is spot on, smoke output is nearly ZERO other then a SLIGHT haze if you take off from a Stop hard.

My biggest thing is smoke output and I think Alberta has it down perfectly.

I have never driven in a ******* tuned truck, but hopefully will one day when notnewb is in phx. Need to get a ride in it to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
I'll text you later, I'm free the next two weeks so we need to go see Mike and his dyno. Also snag some t-shirts while we're there...

14ccd

Reaction score
I also have the SCT X4 with g tunes and while the power is awesome, the trans tuning is terrible. I drive it manual mode under 50 mph just so I can shift it when it should shift. Once its in 6th and on the highway its all good.

14ccd

Reaction score
Mine is a 14 and I got the tunes less than a month ago. I stopped calling because I wasn't getting anywhere

Latest posts

Members online