Stock sub enclosure cubic feet - Science Project!

white59rt

Reaction score
I geeked out terribly today since I could not find the answer to my question anywhere. I got out the measuring cup and found the stock enclosure (at least 08-12) to hold EXACTLY 9 liters of water.

9 Liters of water comes out to be .317832 cu ft or we could say 1/3 of a cu ft.

So there you have it, my useful useless contribution for the day LOL

Todd

79A5E169-0876-44FB-B28C-50CF366B4565_zpsshi9fxer.jpg

BK39

Reaction score
What about the space around the outer edge there? Looks like it is higher than your water level.

white59rt

Reaction score
Unless you used a spacer you could not take advantage of that space. The sub mounts to the surface where the water is filled to.

BK39

Reaction score
Unless you used a spacer you could not take advantage of that space. The sub mounts to the surface where the water is filled to.

See attached. This is what I was referring to. Sh!t, stupid thing didn't show up. Never mind.

Attachments

• Just for fun.jpg
    Just for fun.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 124

white59rt

Reaction score
I think I see what you are talking about the box was at a slight angle and you may have been able to add 1 cup of water if that, pic looks worse than it was, it was VERY close to full.

Zmann

Reaction score
he is talking about the area above the speaker mounting surface
the surface the measuring cup is sitting

that looks like more than a cup ?

you would have to flip the enclosure and get creative to measure the volume or is that just optical ??

white59rt

Reaction score
I see now. I bet that would add another liter or so .... Maybe .4 cu ft ..... No way to measure that.

Zmann

Reaction score
you flip it / fill it with water using a hose
then tip it without spilling and measure what you pour out vs what you pour in

easy peasy

or just call it .4 LOL

white59rt

Reaction score
Yes the area is hollow underneath. I used some batting that laid pretty flat and kinda cut it to fit. It came out to about 1.5 liters of displacement. So we are looking at approximately 10.5 liters or .3709 cu ft. It may be closer to .400 as I doubt I filled all the nooks and crannies.

I feel like I am as geeked out over a speaker box as I can get at this point. I am curious as to the exact number but .3709-.400 is the range I believe.

Good catch gents! And thanks for wasting another hour of my day LOL!!!!!

*EDIT* I correct my math.

Todd

Last edited:

Extended Power

Reaction score
So are you compensating for the volume of the sub then, or not?

If you place the sub into that box, water will be displaced...hence, smaller box/volume.
The manufacture should have specs on the volume displaced by the driver itself.

white59rt

Reaction score
Just the box volume with no subwoofer. Each sub is a tad different but I wanted to see what the actual volume of the box was. It turns out I bought a sub that requires .5 cu ft of air space so we will see how it goes, its not ideal. Some polyfill may help but I really should have gone with an alpine type R, its airspace requirements fit this box PERFECTLY. And to my understand most manufacturers nowadays give you the box requirements, they already take into account the displacement of the driver, is that info off?

BK39

Reaction score
Food for thought. It's been forever, but someone on here at one point was making a spacer, that shimmed the speaker out a hair(I can't remember if it was 3/8" or 1/2" or something like that). That would gain you a little more air space.

white59rt

Reaction score
Food for thought. It's been forever, but someone on here at one point was making a spacer, that shimmed the speaker out a hair(I can't remember if it was 3/8" or 1/2" or something like that). That would gain you a little more air space.

Yes thats the whole reason I started doing this project is I read Jdgleason's post. He had a vendor forum at one time but its no longer active, however the posts are viewable.

The spacer was made by fleece performance. I messaged jdgleason and never got a reply, not sure if he still even gets on here.

I will use MDF spacer ring if I need to for clearance purposes, otherwise I am just gonna roll with it and see how it sounds.

Todd

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
Yes thats the whole reason I started doing this project is I read Jdgleason's post. He had a vendor forum at one time but its no longer active, however the posts are viewable.

The spacer was made by fleece performance. I messaged jdgleason and never got a reply, not sure if he still even gets on here.

I will use MDF spacer ring if I need to for clearance purposes, otherwise I am just gonna roll with it and see how it sounds.

Todd

just curious how this turned out? any update?

Latest posts

Members online