SiriusXM Quality

99F250Smitty

Reaction score
So, like most vehicles, my new '17 came with 6 months of Sirius Radio. The quality of the sound is horrible. The radio and CD's sound decent, haven't messed with the Sync much. But is it normal for the Sirius to sound so awful? Sounds like its a radio down the hallway, muffled, no base, just not good.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
If you care about sound quality, you will not be happy with Sirius/XM. Not sure why, but it sounds horrible, even compared to FM.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Have had several vehicles with S/XM and they all sound terrible. It sounds like the frequency range has the top and bottom cut off, like it was geared for "talk radio" more than anything. I can play a song on S/XM and switch to the same song on FM or CD and suddenly the song has bass, some kick and the upper range brightens. Been this way in every single vehicle I've listed to satellite radio in.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound distorted, scratchy or anything like that. It just sounds like 1/3 of the frequencies are missing. For those of us that are big into audio systems and such...we will notice.

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^. Also, believe it or not, some stations will have a better sound than others. There's a lot of talk about this on DIYMA. Some guys are canceling their vehicle subscriptions and only using the internet version. Then streaming through their phone. Streaming sounds a tad better.

Worth a try for those with unlimited data and good cell reception.

99F250Smitty

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound distorted, scratchy or anything like that. It just sounds like 1/3 of the frequencies are missing. For those of us that are big into audio systems and such...we will notice.

Yeah, like an old AM talk radio station. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks it doesn't sound good. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. Thanks!

04cr450

Reaction score
Have had several vehicles with S/XM and they all sound terrible. It sounds like the frequency range has the top and bottom cut off, like it was geared for "talk radio" more than anything. I can play a song on S/XM and switch to the same song on FM or CD and suddenly the song has bass, some kick and the upper range brightens. Been this way in every single vehicle I've listed to satellite radio in.

Maybe I just got lucky with my trucks oem setup:shrug:

morepower02

Reaction score

This. It seems to have got even worse between my 13 and 17. Definitely missing parts of the range.

Zmann

Reaction score
I almost only listen to Sirius/XM

but when i switch to CD , memory card or FM i do hear a 15-20% sound quality increase

there were sacrifices made in the sat internet from the get go and I feel if they would have stepped it up then they would be doing much better now

I have my system tuned to enhance the sat short comings and it does help a lot

but still leaves a lot to be desired

Jomax

Reaction score
Sirius sucked in my truck. I never extended the subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
thing is S/XM works places AM/FM wont
I don't stream from my phone but even at the lakes cell coverage is spotty

and i get tired of my stored music plus not everyone likes my stuff

so they have that Niche going for them

Jomax

Reaction score
thing is S/XM works places AM/FM wont
I don't stream from my phone but even at the lakes cell coverage is spotty

and i get tired of my stored music plus not everyone likes my stuff

so they have that Niche going for them

You do have a point for that rare occasion.

I usually don't give people a choice if they're in my truck lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
We boat and camp a lot
so despite the substandard sound quality it works for us

but they are also a rip off it's 30 bucks a month for two units
and I despise playing games but if you call in and threaten to cancel
and dance the dance folks are getting it a lot cheaper

i think thats lame it's a lot like Direct TV

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
in my truck, with a very extensive stereo , the sirius/xm falls way short in the sound quality department. oh well, it's coming form a satellite . i usually only listen to the jason ellis show on it anyway .

Diezel_Dawg

Reaction score
Going from a 99 Super Duty with stock speakers to this 17, I'm not complaining, probably because it is such a huge upgrade for me hahaha.both have Sirius

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

NEVRNF

Reaction score
Just can't beat CD if you care about SQ.

I agree. When I want to crank it it's CD time. If I am traveling with the wife it is satellite as I hate searching for FM and I cant crank it with her so I do what is easy. Does not sound horrible in the 11 but in the Ex I can tell a huge difference.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
maybe it has something to do with location also? idk

i have 5 vehicles w xm 1 had it from factory, 1 has a in dash unit with xm and the other 3 have the little receivers and they all sound pretty good?

Latest posts

Members online