Touchscreen

greyford1979

Reaction score
Finally upgraded to a touchscreen. 7 inch Pioneer. Gonna be nice being able to connect to it with bluetooth lol. Although now that I'm looking at the pic, I should've color matched the install kit trim.
40862213335_df4f915f53_c.jpg
IMG_20180428_114936822 by greyford79, on Flickr

dsberman94

Reaction score
I assume you trimmed the dash? How do you like that unit? I’ve been looking at the same basic one except I’m looking at the single din flip up unit in case I need to put it back to a cheaper unit.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I assume you trimmed the dash? How do you like that unit? I’ve been looking at the same basic one except I’m looking at the single din flip up unit in case I need to put it back to a cheaper unit.

Yeah I did trim the dash. Havn't had too much time with it yet but so far I really like it. Blue tooth connection is instant. That's about as far as I have made it feature wise, but it's real easy to use and navigate through. Still gotta fine tune the audio settings, but so far it sounds great. I have always preferred Pioneers sound wise.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I have a Kenwood single din and it ran me like 350 about 6 years ago and it’s starting to crap out. Bluetooth doesn’t reconnect after a few times and it won’t play sound sometimes so I have to pull the whole thing out. I think I’m going to buy it tomorrow and hope I like it.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Finally upgraded to a touchscreen. 7 inch Pioneer. Gonna be nice being able to connect to it with bluetooth lol. Although now that I'm looking at the pic, I should've color matched the install kit trim.
40862213335_df4f915f53_c.jpg
IMG_20180428_114936822 by greyford79, on Flickr
What model is that? Does it have screen mirroring? I'm wanting one that does to run torque pro on the dash.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Looks good. I've been thinking about doing this for awhile.

How much trimming was involved? Which interior trim kit is that?

greyford1979

Reaction score
What model is that? Does it have screen mirroring? I'm wanting one that does to run torque pro on the dash.

It's just one of the lower models, 300EX. So doesn't have all the bells and whistles. I'm just using it for music and the bluetooth. Not sure about some of the higher models.

Looks good. I've been thinking about doing this for awhile.

How much trimming was involved? Which interior trim kit is that?

Had to trim both sides, and upper and lower part of the opening. The dash kit is Metra 95-5817.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Kinda enjoying this. Lots of different possibilities to mirror your phone into it. I have to get one of the micro switches so I don’t have to mess with the e-brake to get it to play Videos. Other than that it’s pretty sweet. I flipped the dash kit around the so the pocket is up top now instead of underneath it so it was a little lower and didn’t stick up above the dash. And it has lots of options for amp outputs. USB and AUX inputs on the back so the front looks very clean when it’s closed. And it keeps playing closed which is nice too. It also has Apple car play and android auto through the USB cord so I have no need for an aux cord. The double Bluetooth connection is sweet too.
04c2670b1dcb44117c0640bcb9750103.jpg
4a94293513ba65e6cb8f4dada841bbbf.jpg

03_PSD

Reaction score
Looks good guys. I have a Pioneer AVH-X490BS that's been sitting in the garage for a while and I need to get it installed.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
What type of wiring is necessary on the back of these? Are you just plugging in the antenna and the factory plug or is there more involved? I don't have any aftermarket speakers, subs, or amps. All factory.

03_PSD

Reaction score
Its pretty easy, but you do have to get a wire harness adapter to go from aftermarket radio to factory wire harness.

like this..... https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-177...r=8-1&keywords=2004+f250+radio+wiring+harness

also you would need a dash install kit for either a single din or double din radio.

Double din.... https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-581...rd_wg=apUiX&psc=1&refRID=XCW7GXERD92V1RXCSXYX

Single din... https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Kit...rd_wg=lnkrl&psc=1&refRID=Q5YB4MVZDF5P37X42HX4

Very easy though!

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
You buy an adaptor to go from the factory radio plug and you match the colors on the harness that comes with the unit and use the red crimp butt connectors to splice it together. Add some tape and Plug the sides in to their other end. The radio at least in my truck doesn’t require an adaptor to work. It just uses the factory plug style to plug in. The particular one I have has the usb plug in the back and comes with an extension cord which I run straight down and bring it out the bottom of the dash above the trans hump and hang it on the dash hook. It’s super easy. You also need the correct dash kit. I usually go to best buy for the kits because they usually have everything in stock and can explain it to you if you have any questions. YouTube is even easier. Factory radio removal will require a special tool which you can probably make out of some mechanics wire or buy them as they’re super cheap.

79jasper

Reaction score
I would throw those crimp connectors right in the trashcan.
Solder instead.
If you so insist on crimping, get the ones with the heat shrink on them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I roll with the crimp, solder, shrink connector all in one. Never had a single issue with those.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Tractor supply didn’t have the all in ones. I also tape each wire individual then tape them all together to make a sort of loomed harness. I soldered the last harness together and taped each wire but I’ve moved 4 times since then and have no clue where my solder gun went.

Also these units that can play dvd want you to run a wire over to your e-brake switch. Instead of doing that you can buy a micro switch for $7 or so that way you don’t have to mess with the e-brake to play videos. Higher models with Nav built in have an internal override where you hold your finger near the bottom left corner of the screen for around 10 seconds. Then you’ll be able to edit nav directions or watch videos without messing with the e-brake and technically you can watch videos while driving also.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Oh trust me I know. It's a pain sometimes to break out the flux, gun, and solder. I like that we have a big box of them and all you have to do is grab crimpers and a butane lighter and it's a solid connection that will last years and be reliable. Heck that is how I made my entire wiring harness when I did my Cummins swap. Still going strong 10 years later with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online