Wiring help

wajackson79

Reaction score
I recently installed a new radio in my 06 f350. I am now trying to add a reverse camera. I know I can pull signal for reverse from the black/pink stripe wire at the back of the truck but I also want to wire constant power when the ignition is on. I’d like to switch the camera on and off at will when towing.

Anyone know which wire that might be on the back of the 7 pin plug?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
If you look somewhere on that 7 blade there will be a basic diagram that will show you ground and 12v. Sometimes it’s right on the front sometimes under the lid.

Diesel625

Reaction score
Are you trying to use it as a reverse camera, but also be able to turn it on whenever you’d like?

wajackson79

Reaction score
Are you trying to use it as a reverse camera, but also be able to turn it on whenever you’d like?

Yes. My head unit has the control to turn the camera on with the reverse signal and manually if I press an icon.

I’ve done some reading and think there is a wire that has constant power when the ignition is on to charge from the 7 pin. I just don’t know which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Don't forget, most headunits nowadays require an emergency brake on signal. I had a switch rigged up under my dash for that.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Amazon sells microswitches. You wire them into the parking brake wire and I believe a ground. Then screen works while driving.

wajackson79

Reaction score
I’ve wired my camera but I don’t have power on the Aux pier wire at the 7 pin connector. I get a good reading on the reverse wire.

Is there a separate fuse for the trailer power? My manual isn’t clear.

wajackson79

Reaction score
I’ve wired my camera but I don’t have power on the Aux pier wire at the 7 pin connector. I get a good reading on the reverse wire.

Is there a separate fuse for the trailer power? My manual isn’t clear.

Disregard previous post. I figured out fuse 107 powers the trailer and that fuse looked great but testing continuity showed it was bad.

Latest posts

Members online