Bumpsteer assistance

Aaron S

Reaction score
Yes sir...can get them around here for $70.

So no signs of any slop or wear and your thinking it might be a problem?

The trac bar is close to two inches longer than any other truck using the same bar at 2.5 inches of lift. Look at the exposed threads in my pics vs the truck in Laysons pics.

It will probably take one of two things to get me to start changing things on my truck again to solve this potential problem: drive an identical truck suspension wise or talk to Dave Hoppert.

For the sake of my knowledge answer this question for me DFW. When driving your truck, do rough road conditions ever cause your steering wheel to steer/ move around in your hands?

DFW64

Reaction score

The trac bar is close to two inches longer than any other truck using the same bar at 2.5 inches of lift. Look at the exposed threads in my pics vs the truck in Laysons pics.

It will probably take one of two things to get me to start changing things on my truck again to solve this potential problem: drive an identical truck suspension wise or talk to Dave Hoppert.

For the sake of my knowledge answer this question for me DFW. When driving your truck, do rough road conditions ever cause your steering wheel to steer/ move around in your hands?

First, call Dave.

This all depends on your definition of "rough". Are we talking about messed up concrete or gravel/offroad conditions?

On messed up concrete, no the steering wheel does not move around. I'm assuming you are referring to unwanted feedback?

For gravel/offroad conditions, I can't say because I haven't tested the suspension with the new tires. My old Nittos were junk and vibrated badly on gravel and dirt roads.

Sometimes, at speeds under 10, I can experience some slight feedback when going over rough concrete. Its minimal and sporadic and most likely due to the worn out stock drag link.

Can you feel anything in the floorboard when it happens? Does the steering wheel kick or jerk in a certain direction.

DFW64

Reaction score

I did notice that the trac bar length looked irregular, but then again your using a 2005 mount correct, so I don't know if they should match up in length.

You can unbolt the trac bar from the ball joint and check for play. A little bit of play can cause problems.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
My 05 does what you described Aaron, the wheel will walk in my hands if say only one tire hits a frost heave. Or if only one tire hits a pot hole. The truck will go where i point it, but when it hits bumps it does all kinds of crazy chit.

I talked for a while with Cary OBSWIZ today and ended up ordering caster adjustment shims and a adjustable track bar because we believe thats the culprit of my issues.

My truck has a leveling kit from the PO and i think it wasnt aligned properly. Hopefully this will get the Caster correct and recenter the axle properly.

DFW64

Reaction score
My 05 does what you described Aaron, the wheel will walk in my hands if say only one tire hits a frost heave. Or if only one tire hits a pot hole. The truck will go where i point it, but when it hits bumps it does all kinds of crazy chit.

I talked for a while with Cary OBSWIZ today and ended up ordering caster adjustment shims and a adjustable track bar because we believe thats the culprit of my issues.

My truck has a leveling kit from the PO and i think it wasnt aligned properly. Hopefully this will get the Caster correct and recenter the axle properly.

Can't use caster shims with OUO Ala's.

zj96sc

Reaction score
In general you will fight bump steer issues any time the drag link and track bar are different lengths and/or different angles. Both swing in an arc from the pitman or frame joint - the second those arcs are unequal (either through radius or angle) axle position will change relative to pitman position - ie bumpsteer.

Usually a drop track bar bracket will help, but it needs to usually be matched with a drop pitman. Long story short do what you can to get the pivot points for both as close to each other as possible.

Also make sure your caster is within spec and that you've got a healthy steering dampener. Once the fundamental geometry is correct those two should help the manners and keep those heavier tires in check.

You can also try playing with your front tire pressure a few psi in either direction if you're getting poor performance on washboards/rutted dirt.

Good luck
paul

Layson

Reaction score

That is your problem if you track rod is 2" longer.... I am thinking you need the 05 track rod bracket....

SAK

Reaction score
I should have been more specific, they are redundant are they not?

Marty took mine out when I was there...

In a way yes, but you have to have the cams in there or the ball joint would have nothing to hold it in place.

You have to keep the ALA's the same length on both sides when you are adjusting them, if you do not you will be trying to twist the axle(which will wear the 4 big bushings on the axle). After you get you caster set you may need to make some adjustments from one side to another, so this is where you would use different degree of cams to get it to where you want. I.E. more caster on the passenger side to help with the truck pulling to the left.

DFW64

Reaction score
In a way yes, but you have to have the cams in there or the ball joint would have nothing to hold it in place.

You have to keep the ALA's the same length on both sides when you are adjusting them, if you do not you will be trying to twist the axle(which will wear the 4 big bushings on the axle). After you get you caster set you may need to make some adjustments from one side to another, so this is where you would use different degree of cams to get it to where you want. I.E. more caster on the passenger side to help with the truck pulling to the left.

Gotcha...think I was referring to those cams you get with the Icon leveling kit.

Aaron S

Reaction score
That is your problem if you track rod is 2" longer.... I am thinking you need the 05 track rod bracket....

This is what I originally had on the truck. The track rod bracket off of the same truck that I got the axles out of. At least as far as I could tell it is factory, I still have the thing. It has a ford symbol stamped in it somewhere. Unless there were different trac rod brackets for the 05-07 trucks.

The only other posibilities I see as far as it being a geometry issue is if the balljoint area on the axle I have is bent in some way, but ive never been able to see anything that would indicate this.

The reason the trac rod bracket is longer is because I made the bracket to require a longer rod length. All based on a recomendation. In trying to visualize the geometry of the front end in my head im starting to think it was a mistake to make it requiring a longer rod length. That may be causing this issue.

Last edited:

Aaron S

Reaction score
First, call Dave.

This all depends on your definition of "rough". Are we talking about messed up concrete or gravel/offroad conditions?

On messed up concrete, no the steering wheel does not move around. I'm assuming you are referring to unwanted feedback?

For gravel/offroad conditions, I can't say because I haven't tested the suspension with the new tires. My old Nittos were junk and vibrated badly on gravel and dirt roads.

Sometimes, at speeds under 10, I can experience some slight feedback when going over rough concrete. Its minimal and sporadic and most likely due to the worn out stock drag link.

Can you feel anything in the floorboard when it happens? Does the steering wheel kick or jerk in a certain direction.

Im refering to rough asphalt and concrete highways. I dont notice anything in the floorboards of the truck or any loose feeling at all. I tried to explain the feedback in the wheel in another post. Essentially the right side compresses and the steering wheel turns left, the left side compresses and the steering wheel turns right.

Layson

Reaction score
This is what I originally had on the truck. The track rod bracket off of the same truck that I got the axles out of. At least as far as I could tell it is factory, I still have the thing. It has a ford symbol stamped in it somewhere. Unless there were different trac rod brackets for the 05-07 trucks.

The only other posibilities I see as far as it being a geometry issue is if the balljoint area on the axle I have is bent in some way, but ive never been able to see anything that would indicate this.

The reason the trac rod bracket is longer is because I made the bracket to require a longer rod length. All based on a recomendation. In trying to visualize the geometry of the front end in my head im starting to think it was a mistake to make it requiring a longer rod length. That may be causing this issue.

So the one you have on your truck now is the stock one that came with the 2002 truck. You have the 2005 stock track rod bracket sitting around somewhere.

Aaron S

Reaction score
So the one you have on your truck now is the stock one that came with the 2002 truck. You have the 2005 stock track rod bracket sitting around somewhere.

The trac rod bracket that is on the truck now started out as a skyjacker two inch drop bracket that was highly modified by myself and a friend. Im pretty sure it was skyjacker atleast.

My modified bracket was originaly intended for the 05 to 07 trucks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online