To tune or not....

caladash

Reaction score
Thinking of picking up a 2004 ex. Being a 7.3 guy I am concerned about owning a 6.0. Puking, head gaskets and such. First on the list is an egr delete with the appropriate tune. I have heard that putting a small performance tune on it aids in the reliability and longetivity of the truck and is safer than just stock. Is this true or a no go? Also this vehicle will be for my wife and not for me!! It will not be "touched" like my truck has. Any other things that should be done if I pick this up?

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
i run dougs street tune on my 03 ex with egr and stock headbolts. just drive it easy, only have 1k on it though, barely drive it.

Atsah

Reaction score
IMO, chipping a 6.0 will not make it more reliable.. Along with your EGR delete, I would make sure it has the upgraded FPR kit installed.. Replace the oil/filter and fuel filters, I would also flush the coolant..

caladash

Reaction score
Is the fpr kit an aftermarket item or factory upgrade? Seems like alot to do to make it run better!!

caladash

Reaction score
Gotcha!! Is the egr delete a weekend job or longer? Can a egr delete tune just be a stock tune or does it have to have some type of performance? If a performance tune isn't necessarily more reliable I don't see a need for it.

Atsah

Reaction score
Low fuel pressure, water, and running out of fuel will kill 6.0 injectors in short order.. a good quality oil and Motorcraft filters changes are also essential.. Fuel filters should be replaced every 10-12K IMO.. There are two, the primary is on the frame rail under the drivers seat and the other is under the hood..

Atsah

Reaction score
I don't know if the 04 will set a CEL if you do a delete, I don't think it will. You shouldn't need a tuner at all unless the CEL comes on, the tuner will enable you to shut the light off..

Atsah

Reaction score
84500. Tried to get an oasis but the system is apparently down till the 10th.

Ya, a report would be a good idea to look at.. If it looks good, I would replace all the filters and fluids, leave it stock and tell your wife to drive it hard.. 6.0's don't like sitting around, running it hard is how they like it..

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
I tuned mine within hours of buying my Ex a few weeks ago.

Sent from Holderdown Performance mobile command center (iPhone)

Latest posts

Members online