2004 F350 Shut Off

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Changed IPR and still would not start. Wires all look good. Got a scangauge2 and ficm sync was one and IPR jumped right up to 84.7. I'm thinking that there might be leak in the oil system again. After just doing everything.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Messed with it some more and this time fuel light came on and I shook the truck and barely could hear fuel in it. Have been building up to 65 psi for fuel pressure.
New code popped up p2617.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
P2614 and p2617 will set from extended cranking. Im gonna saay you got a leak. Youre gonna have to air test it, and find out where.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
So for ****s and giggles this morning I put more diesel in it and it took right off. Had great oil pressure and fuel pressure and sounded strong. Got it up to 165 degrees oil temp turned it off and now I can't get Above 150 psi for oil pressure. Tonight and this weekend I am going to pressure test it to see if I can locate the leak. When we were pulling out the stand pipes the company who worked on it last just have cranked the passenger side down because it took way too much force to take it out. I'm thinking there's a possibility of the branch tube being messed up either cracked or something twisted too much. Will keep updated and thanks for all the advice.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Put air to it and I closed the IPR and I feel forceful air coming out the passenger side valve cover. Thinking stand pipe issue?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
For some reason my kindle wont let me play half the you tube videos i click on, and yours happens to be one. Lol. Anyway, best way to pinpoint is with a stethoscope. Make sure the airflow changes slightly or you hear an electrical type click when you change the ipr, that tells you the ipr is working or not. If it is a large leak, it should be fairly easy to find with a stethoscope, just take the metal tip out, and find where the air is coming from. A small inspection mirror and a flashlight will also make things easier.

Good luck.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
So when I activate the IPR the rate of air doesn't change. I'll have to pick up a stethoscope and small mirror. Do you do this from up top or from below?

046.ohBills

Reaction score
So I dropped my truck off at the dealership because there's no diesel mechanics near me that I know of and last Thursday and everyday since it's been starting right up. Stopped by today and it was running when I got there and they are taking it for a test drive. Is it possible of an electrical issue? Something that shorts and then doesn't and then does kind of thing?

bismic

Reaction score
Leaks in the high pressure oil system aren't often intermittent unless it is oil temperature related (ie leaks hot and not cold).

I still believe you have something electrical going on.

One of your posts about the air sound not changing when you activate the IPR valve might indicate something if you are still occasionally seeing actual low ICP values.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
the air doesnt change when activating the ipr so your thinking the ipr or hpop? i did put a new ipr in it and didnt help the issue. i also have a scangauge 2 and the ipr cycle goes straight to 84.7 during cranking

bismic

Reaction score
The 84.7 is just a command due to lower pressure than desired. Don't really know where the valve is actually. I am wondering about the wiring to the IPR. You should hear a change in air flow when it is commanded shut.

Last edited:

046.ohBills

Reaction score
well after the test drive the truck would not start up again.
today they are starting on taking the cab off. they will find the problem this afternoon, tomorrow morning.
Just ordered the daystar Kevlar body bushing to swap out the 14 yr old body bushings on the truck as well.
Will let everyone know what we find out as we figure it out. Mechanic who works there owns a 6.0 as well so he seems decent with the engine.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
20171122_113545.jpg
20171122_113554.jpg
20171122_113541.jpg

Well finally they did something to my truck finally and found the leak. Gasket on the j tube that goes to the oil cover. they really have been taking there time so they say "im going to get a good deal". we will see hopefully will have it this afternoon

bismic

Reaction score
Glad you found the issue, and thanks for posting it.

Question - where did you tie into for the air pressure test? I am still wondering why you couldn't hear a difference when commanding the IPR shut.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
I was using the ICP port right behind the ipr. Only thing i can think of is that gasket was literally just letting all the air by even when the ipr was closed. Could have even been degrading the gasket more with air :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.