Wind noise

C2tuck

Reaction score
Noticed when it’s real windy out and driving down highway @ 85-90mph or if a semi passed me on a two lane road, I’ll get a pretty loud whistling noise from what seems to be the top of the windshield. It’s factory installed. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Noticed when it’s real windy out and driving down highway @ 85-90mph or if a semi passed me on a two lane road, I’ll get a pretty loud whistling noise from what seems to be the top of the windshield. It’s factory installed. Anyone else experience this?

Yeah we see it quote a bit. Typically in fairly heavy cross or head winds, as you said. Out here most people have glass coverage which will cover it if you are out of 3/36.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Towerguy

Reaction score
When you say a semi passes you, do you mean going in the opposite direction so that you are driving into the turbulent air coming off his trailer? I'm thinking it might actually be the door frames. Our doors have the window frame wrap around the front of the A-pillar. A stiff headwind can get under and I believe it lifts the frame off the gasket. I was working in North Dakota one winter, had to drive from Fargo to Grand Forks straight into a bad headwind. At 75 mph or more it was so loud in my truck that I couldn't hold a phone call. My truck is not overly noisy either, no weird noises or anything, stock exhaust, moderate A/T tires. Normally I can knock out the miles in comfort with the cruise set at 80. But headwinds, it get can get noisy and I don't suspect the windshield. I'm thinking it's the door frames, at least on mine. That isn't to say you don't have an air leak around your windshield though, just something to consider.

sootie

Reaction score
get out the masking tape and start playing with it...

C2tuck

Reaction score
Yes, like passing them on a two lane head on...catching all the wind from it. It’s only done it a couple times. Once was driving to the next town over from mine in really strong winds. It did it the whole way there. Not once coming back. Not sure where it’s coming from.

So masking tape and then what?? New windshield? Door seals? Or live with it?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Start masking **** off. I would start with the windshield. Do one edge, be it top, bottom, or sides, at a time. If you think its drivers front door, youll need a helper, as once you tape them, you cant get it open... Once the noise goes away, you found your issue.

C2tuck

Reaction score
Guess I’ll wait for the next windy day to experiment.