Back in a 6.0!! Wanna mod on the cheap

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So sounds like my Fan Clutch crapped out... Which really sucks because according to the service records one was put on like 12k miles ago. It's engaged all the time, unplugged the sensor to see if it was a grounding issue but no luck. Might see if the local dealer is willing to work with me at all due since I have to go by there anyway, but other wise this might be my trigger to finally getting some of the work done I've been wanting to do.

So more questions...
1. Should I do the 7.3 mechanical fan conversation? Any negatives to doing this?
2. While I'm in there should I put a new pump on? 125K miles currently.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I found a snow plow clutch for pretty cheap new. Or i would have gone the 7.3 route. As for the water pumps i guess it depends on if your doing it or a mechanic. If a mechanic i would do it. If it a diy task just depends on if you want to save a few bucks and risk a failure or not. Id probably chance it. I hate putting the belts on these trucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Oh a six oh I watch: egt, boost, trans temps, coolant temp, oil temperature, ficm output power, icp volts

New to the 6.0 world, picking my new to me 05 F350 Lariat up later today. Just curious on a bone stock truck, do you still recommend monitoring all of the above? For now my plan was to use my tablet or an old phone running Torque Pro to monitor ECT and EOT at a minimum, and eventually move up to the Insight Pro CTS2. This truck will be DD and a tow pig but won't be doing much towing until the effing white bullchit outside goes away.

sootie

Reaction score
New to the 6.0 world, picking my new to me 05 F350 Lariat up later today. Just curious on a bone stock truck, do you still recommend monitoring all of the above? For now my plan was to use my tablet or an old phone running Torque Pro to monitor ECT and EOT at a minimum, and eventually move up to the Insight Pro CTS2. This truck will be DD and a tow pig but won't be doing much towing until the effing white bullchit outside goes away.

Up to you. I always do as it gives me a heads up when somethings not right. Its a six oh after all lol

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I would the torque program allows you to monitor alot of things for a tiny amount of money invested.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Up to you. I always do as it gives me a heads up when somethings not right. Its a six oh after all lol
I grabbed my old phone and set it to monitor all the above (less EGT of course) using Torque Pro. Glad I did... looks like I'll be needing an oil cooler replacement sooner rather than later. I saw delta's as high as 40° cruising at 65 on flat ground, and my coolant temps were low so I suspect the t-stat has failed (don't think it ever went above 180°).
Not to steal the thread here but I've done some searching on the forum and haven't found a conclusive answer quite yet. On a cold start the truck will fire up, but it coughs and lopes a little for 20-30 seconds similar to a 7.3 with a bad glow plug. FICM voltage was 40v right after it started (Torque didn't sync until I was already cranking) but climbed up to 47-48v as the truck warmed up. Is this typical? No codes for injectors or glow plugs, is the low FICM voltage when cold the likely cause of the loping idle? When I did pull codes I got a P0404 and P1408, FYI.

sootie

Reaction score
I grabbed my old phone and set it to monitor all the above (less EGT of course) using Torque Pro. Glad I did... looks like I'll be needing an oil cooler replacement sooner rather than later. I saw delta's as high as 40° cruising at 65 on flat ground, and my coolant temps were low so I suspect the t-stat has failed (don't think it ever went above 180°).
Not to steal the thread here but I've done some searching on the forum and haven't found a conclusive answer quite yet. On a cold start the truck will fire up, but it coughs and lopes a little for 20-30 seconds similar to a 7.3 with a bad glow plug. FICM voltage was 40v right after it started (Torque didn't sync until I was already cranking) but climbed up to 47-48v as the truck warmed up. Is this typical? No codes for injectors or glow plugs, is the low FICM voltage when cold the likely cause of the loping idle? When I did pull codes I got a P0404 and P1408, FYI.
Time for a ficm, no question. Should never drop below 47v with good batteries. Replace it and see if the lope changes. If there is still a lope, watch fuel pressure and icp volts and let us know what they're doing.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Time for a ficm, no question. Should never drop below 47v with good batteries. Replace it and see if the lope changes. If there is still a lope, watch fuel pressure and icp volts and let us know what they're doing.
Will do, thanks. Any reason to avoid the Dorman replacement board vs buying a rebuilt FICM?

sootie

Reaction score
Will do, thanks. Any reason to avoid the Dorman replacement board vs buying a rebuilt FICM?
If you enjoy subpar performance and quality, plus replacing them on a regular basis-use Dorman. I would get a rebuilt unit or an upgraded unit from one of the site vendors.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I used the dorman power board on a previous truck. No issues. Made advanced auto match a online price. Got the board for iirc 127 bucks and a lifetime warranty. Had the truck for a year after no issues on the power supply board. The symptoms your talking about sound like worn injectors. The ficm could also be a culprit. I would change the tstat. Coolant should be at least 180 to 190. If you oil spread is bad get ypu coolant temps up where they should be before drastic action. Now if your pil temps are 230+ on flat ground id agree on the oil cooler issue but id first get the easy stuff in check

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I will also add on my current 6.0 truck i have a oil cooler issue and have not had luck like some other people with backflushing the oil cooler but it may be a option for you to try vs jumping right to that

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
No worries on piggybacking off these thread... keep it going.

My follow up question... What Max Oil Temps are acceptable.

Hit 230 last year on long big runs, just wondering how high is to high. Delta's still meet the 15* but hover around 10 with no trailer. Wondering when to consider a cooler and consider backing out of it a bit when hooked up.

sootie

Reaction score
No worries on piggybacking off these thread... keep it going.

My follow up question... What Max Oil Temps are acceptable.

Hit 230 last year on long big runs, just wondering how high is to high. Delta's still meet the 15* but hover around 10 with no trailer. Wondering when to consider a cooler and consider backing out of it a bit when hooked up.

235 is too hot. the standpipe starts to melt.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I used the dorman power board on a previous truck. No issues. Made advanced auto match a online price. Got the board for iirc 127 bucks and a lifetime warranty. Had the truck for a year after no issues on the power supply board. The symptoms your talking about sound like worn injectors. The ficm could also be a culprit. I would change the tstat. Coolant should be at least 180 to 190. If you oil spread is bad get ypu coolant temps up where they should be before drastic action. Now if your pil temps are 230+ on flat ground id agree on the oil cooler issue but id first get the easy stuff in check

Truck only has 107,600 miles so hopefully it's not injectors. I didn't have any injector codes and nothing came back with a buzz test.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Truck only has 107,600 miles so hopefully it's not injectors. I didn't have any injector codes and nothing came back with a buzz test.
If the truck clears up when warm then yes its tottaly possible to have injectors issues. Often called stictation. Does it mean the injector has failed? No. Will it bring up a code not all the time. Can you have a injector issue with out codes popping up? Yes. I wouldnt fret over it a bunch. Some folks run additives to help clear up the issue. Again ive tried them and its improved the situation for a while but it never resolved it. I wouldnt go and toss in a bunch of injectors for a stictation issue right off either.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
If the truck clears up when warm then yes its tottaly possible to have injectors issues. Often called stictation. Does it mean the injector has failed? No. Will it bring up a code not all the time. Can you have a injector issue with out codes popping up? Yes. I wouldnt fret over it a bunch. Some folks run additives to help clear up the issue. Again ive tried them and its improved the situation for a while but it never resolved it. I wouldnt go and toss in a bunch of injectors for a stictation issue right off either.

It's going to get an EGR and oil cooler replacement, EGR valve clean/replace, coolant filter, thermostat, rebuilt FICM for sure. I'll start there and see if things clear up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online