Steering Linkage Upgrades

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to doing some maintaince on my truck. Turns out I need a new drag link. I'am not putting the OEM junk back in, not an option. Ive been looking at upgrading with the guys at Bullet Proof Steering Systems.

Heres a link: http://bulletproofsteering.com/fordpricingoptions.html

Is anybody familar with them? Is there any other options for our trucks?

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
http://www.pmfsuspension.com/HD-Single-Piece-Draglink_p_28.html

For a daily driver, a tie rod end would be a more durable setup. With our HD draglink you can replace just the pitman arm end for future services instead of having to replace the entire rod. We also have an optional lower tie rod end available if you want to replace and upgrade the entire bar.

Looks good, are there any advantage in switching over to ballistic joints? I am looking for the entire drag link and tie rod assembly.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Balistic joints are the only way to go. I had to replace all of the joints on my lift and went with theirs. Rebuildable is a nice plus.

NotStock

Reaction score
On a street truck, I wouldnt run anything but an upgraded tie rod. If it was an offroad truck or an application where you needed ultimate strength, that would be a different story.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
On a street truck, I wouldnt run anything but an upgraded tie rod. If it was an offroad truck or an application where you needed ultimate strength, that would be a different story.

To be honest, I've never had any luck with moog ends. I am leaning towards ballistic joints, I want the best. Any pics of your tie rod and drag link asemblys with ballistic joints? I have a dual steering stabillizer that runs parallel to the tie rod, would I be able to reuse this with your setup?

NotStock

Reaction score
We have both versions. The picture on our website shows the one with the ballistic joint. The lower/passenger side must use a tie rod end due to the unique design with the incorporation of center draglink.

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
I notice it says that the steering geometry changes with the ballistic joint offroad version, is there any negatives to this as far as how the truck drives etc? i need a replacment aswell both joints on my factory drag link are shot.

NotStock

Reaction score
It depends on the track bar configuration, lift amount, and type of front control arms. It can cause bumpsteer though.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I think Im going to pull the trigger and go with Bullet Proof Steering Systems. The main reason is all joints get converted to their stage 2 Teflon®/Carbon-Fiber matrix heim joints (not off the shelf one size fits all type and no more tie rod ends), the option to move the tie rod assy above the steering arms thus reducing the angle of the drag link and keeping the tie rod outta the weeds is genius. Made in the USA and made specific to my truck. The price is good too. If anyone has any more input feel free to chime in. I will take some pics of the install.

NotStock

Reaction score
Not going to work well for a daily driven application. Especially with the road conditions in Canada. You need grease and the ability to flush the joints with fresh grease to get all of the crap out of there.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Not going to work well for a daily driven application. Especially with the road conditions in Canada. You need grease and the ability to flush the joints with fresh grease to get all of the crap out of there.

Agreed, "off the shelf" heim joints will not last up here. Bulletproof heims are another story, clearance within the joint are far tighter, the materials and research he put into them are simply built to last.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Well after countless phone calls and many nights of research I finally took the chance and switched out my OEM linkage for Bulletproof Steering. As something as important as steering, I didnt want to screw this up.. By simply looking at the Bulletproof heim joints you can tell this isnt your ordinary joint. It takes a lot of force to get them to flex, the movement is smooth like a bearing and very tight. I opted for the "Race Proof Rods". The rods themselves are heavy, 1.5", 3/8" wall tubing, no way I am bending these. The results did not disapoint, my steering has never felt better. Positive feeling, real road feedback instead of the constant movement one way or the other. Another huge benefit is the fact that theres no need to run steering stabilizers with these heims being so tight, the pressure it takes to turn the wheel now is far less with out them. Ive put about 1000km on this system since install and haven't run into any issues so far. My track bar will be upgraded next with Bulletproof. Working the steering wheel back and forth from a stand still exposed some free play with my track bar, before the switch this play wasn't even noticable, kinda goes to show how much freeplay and flex was in the old (only 60000km) OEM system. So far so good, very happy I did this mod guys, one of the best things Ive done to this truck.

Heres a couple installed pics.. The bars are dirty, it hasnt quit raining here for a couple weeks but the bars are powdercoated in a silver finish. I need to retorque, drill and install my cotter keys this weekend but for the most part install is done!

photo_zps04373bb6.jpg

photo_zpsfdd60981.jpg

NotStock

Reaction score
The need for a steering stabilizer has nothing to do with how easy it is to turn your steering wheel. A steering dampener is to absorb the shock load of harsh impacts from potholes and road imperfections. I would highly suggest a dual shock stabilizer or stabilizer of some sort. It will increase the life span of those heims aswell. What brand/size of heim does he use?

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
The need for a steering stabilizer has nothing to do with how easy it is to turn your steering wheel. A steering dampener is to absorb the shock load of harsh impacts from potholes and road imperfections. I would highly suggest a dual shock stabilizer or stabilizer of some sort. It will increase the life span of those heims aswell. What brand/size of heim does he use?

I think you misunderstood, his heims are so tight the need for stabilizers are eliminated thus making it easier to turn the wheel. I can turn the wheel from full lock to lock from a stand still, goodluck doing that with your dual stabilizers. I undertand what stabilizers do, they also hide problems as I just proved. They're also hard on the power steering system, the pump is constantly working against the pressure the stabilizers are applying to the linkage. The fact that this kit removed them is bonus in my world. Like Ive stated, I've put 1000Km on this kit, mainly highway and no issues, not a hint of death wobble. I will update this thread as time go's on especially if any problems arise.

NotStock

Reaction score
All heims will be tight when they are new. As they wear, the teflon lining wears and the housings enlarge from impacts. The fact that they are tight now should not be used as a reason not to run a stabilizer.

Im sorry but with all due respect, I disagree. A stabilizer shock takes no force to compress at low speed. It gets stiff under high speed compression thus dampening sudden impacts to the steering components. No part of them is hard on the power steering system. Again, Im not trying to argue with you although I do disagree.

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
No worries at all, I appreciate your input. I don't claim to know it all so it's all good. I come from the heavy truck industry, I am a 3rd generation suspension, steering and frame guy. The joints and steering systems I see daily are different then this light stuff but all work with the same principles. There's no steering stabilizers in the modern heavy truck industry, I credit this to the way the systems are engineered. Our steering systems were never designed or engineered to handle a 37+" tire with big offset, sure throwing an extra stabilizers on helps but it's just covering up the real problem. Which is an under built system.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
The reason you can turn you steering wheel from lock to lock at a standstill is the strength of your pump. Mine can do it effortlessly at times, but others won't budge. It isn't because of my dual stabilizers. Most hiem joints are solid as hell when new, but they will wear and need adjustments.
Doesn't necessarily mean an under built system, just one not designed correctly. You can use the beefiest chit out there but have bump steer.
Not trying to start an argument but just agreeing with Trevor.

ford rules

Reaction score
No worries at all, I appreciate your input. I don't claim to know it all so it's all good. I come from the heavy truck industry, I am a 3rd generation suspension, steering and frame guy. The joints and steering systems I see daily are different then this light stuff but all work with the same principles. There's no steering stabilizers in the modern heavy truck industry, I credit this to the way the systems are engineered. Our steering systems were never designed or engineered to handle a 37+" tire with big offset, sure throwing an extra stabilizers on helps but it's just covering up the real problem. Which is an under built system.

Most heavy trucks use hydraulic assist basically acting as a steering stabilizers... I give those heims a year before they are loose and start rattling and need replaced. May also want to check your laws but here in Michigan heims aren't even legal, and if those tubes aren't threaded and just have bungs welded in they are probably also illegal.
Heims on my crossover steering setup on my ranger are sloppy and have hardly any miles on them and I kept them clean and lubed.
Also I can't tell from the pics but I recommend running safety washers incase a heim comes apart running down the road.
The setup looks great though hope they hold up for you!!

Last edited:

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
My pump is fine and also no bumpsteer on my rig. Removing the stabilizers greatly reduced the effort to turn the wheels when the truck isn't moving, that's a fact, I mean I just proved it with my truck. There's a lot resistance in a stabilizer, that's a fact. Like I said, I can sit there and turn my wheel lock to lock now, like butter. No way i could do that before. Comparing all heim joints as the same is simple minded, if anyone is serious about this mod, call Randy at Bulletproof and ask him about his Heim joints and how much time and effort went into designing them. I am not gunna argue about a kit that has 1000km on it, let me test it before you bash the quality of his ends. This is a solid mod so far, the truck steers beautifully.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.