Gear change

Reaction score
What's the typical cost for changing the front and rear differential? A local diesel company quoted me like $1,200 for parts and $1,200 for labor. Does that sound right and how hard is it?

sootie

Reaction score
What's the typical cost for changing the front and rear differential? A local diesel company quoted me like $1,200 for parts and $1,200 for labor. Does that sound right and how hard is it?
That sounds right. Not hard to do the work with the right tools and you understand lash and preload.

Reaction score
So I looked up some info on picking the correct new gear ration and it looks like I should take my new tire size and times it by my my current gear ratio then divide it by my original tire size which will give me the new gear ratio I should aim for.
(35" x 3.73) / 32" = 4.08
So if I go with 4.11 gears is it noticeable or should I go with 4.30 gears? I want to help it get off the line faster but not lose too much on the mpgs on the interstate. Anyone go wih 4.30 gears from 3.73's and have any advice?

FastFord

Reaction score
I'd leave the 3.73 gears and use the torque from the engine. Not a gas job where u need RPM.

Reaction score
One of the issues I'm having with the streetmax x is while in 6th it sometimes it starts to surge and I have to downshift or just completely lock it out of 6th unless I'm doing 70+. I'm running gear head sotf tuning I got from Powerstroke eng. I asked for revisions like 10 times and they used to say they'd get them. Now I just get no reply at all. I figured I'd change the gearing to get the rpms back up so it didn't feel like it was lugging in 6th at 55-60.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
With the cost of the ford gearsets yes that parts price is pretty decent. Labor is a little high. Not by much though. Do they include the 500 mile drain fill and inspection in that price. We do 450 an axle for labor, fluids, and cleaning supplies. That also includes the 500 mile drain and fill. That price changes if it a a removable 3rd or 14 bolt. We charge 30 dollars more for synthetic fluid per axle. And there is a sunk axle fee. If you go mud riding and sink you rig and bring it us too fix we charge 100 bucks to power wash the vehicle and power wash the axle out when we pull it apart.

Is your truck a DRW?

I have 3.31 gears in mine and I have zero issues towing on stock tires. I do not have the streetmax though. I do run GH tuning also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
With the cost of the ford gearsets yes that parts price is pretty decent. Labor is a little high. Not by much though. Do they include the 500 mile drain fill and inspection in that price. We do 450 an axle for labor, fluids, and cleaning supplies. That also includes the 500 mile drain and fill. That price changes if it a a removable 3rd or 14 bolt. We charge 30 dollars more for synthetic fluid per axle. And there is a sunk axle fee. If you go mud riding and sink you rig and bring it us too fix we charge 100 bucks to power wash the vehicle and power wash the axle out when we pull it apart.

Is your truck a DRW?

I have 3.31 gears in mine and I have zero issues towing on stock tires. I do not have the streetmax though. I do run GH tuning also.

where you located? lol

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Not a vendor I don't want to cross a line. I live in Louisiana.

Reaction score
It's a SRW and they didn't mention the 500 mile drain and fill.
They seem to be honest but I've only used him a couple times. First time was to do my ****** and the second was to program my injectors.
When I was there for the injectors they tried to tell me my truck had a weird idle and said it could be from the rocker arms rotating some over time and causing wear on the cam and one way to tell was to cut my oil filter open and check for metal. He did but found no metal at all so he said the truck must idle like that normally. Said he'd had another 6.7 a couple weeks earlier and had a similar idle and did have metal in the filter. He recommended they get ready for a new short block. Not sure about all that but my filter was clean.
I may just get new sotf tunes from Tyrantt. Anyone try theirs with the streetmax x? This turbo surge happens almost every time I drive. It gets bogged down and starts to flutter and shake a little until I let off or downshift. It did get a little better since I installed my new 2015 injectors 2 weeks ago.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Unless you have a gas truck which im pretty positive you don't the 3.73 gears only come from the factory in the gas and DRW trucks. Us SRW diesel guys only get the option of 3.31 or 3.55 gears. Most of the time these trucks have tow packages with 3.55 gears, but I have seen some weird stuff. Usually I'd recommend 3.73 unless you do lots and lots of towing beyond 15k pounds. Or you run a tire bigger than a 37x13.50. I know it doesn't seem like a big jump. However in your case because of the surging I say 4.10 might be better. What tire do you run currently?

If it were me i would try different tunning its way cheaper and easier to do as well.

sootie

Reaction score
i normally would've recommended getting morgan to write you a trans file to stop that. He did for my truck and it is fine. 35s on 3:55 gears. It tears me up to type this-still in shock about his passing....

andrewtac

Reaction score
I have stock 18s and gear (355); 2016 streetmax x and dual fuel. I had that issue with the Midwest tune prior to going dual fuel. I have tried two tunes since dual fuel(for an entirely different reason) and I get the same flutter regardless. If i am not above 70 mph and I get on a steep hill it will flutter and surge a little. This has been the same for all tunes. I assumed it was just part of the deal and either let off the pedal or downshift. The two dual fuel tunes I tired had trans tunes that kept it in gear longer (higher rpm) and this didn’t happen; but it was only due to being in a lower gear. 99% of the time I drive like an old man; so I went with the trans tune that shifted early if I was light on the throttle; it also doesn’t downshift as quick. Trade off for me; I have one bridge I cross on my way to work, if I am less than 70 I down shift. The other option is to spin it higher all the time; not for me. I only mention all this as I’d hate to see you chase your tail, spend several grand with the same outcome. If you want to start with another tune; proven diesel is the tune I ended up with. He made numerous tweaks to get me where I wanted; though I never bothered with this issue as it has been a constant on all tunes.

sootie

Reaction score
like i said, its all in the tuning. Have your tuner use stock shift strategies from a 2015+ truck and then modify for tire size, bump line pressure etc.

andrewtac

Reaction score
like i said, its all in the tuning. Have your tuner use stock shift strategies from a 2015+ truck and then modify for tire size, bump line pressure etc.

Would this end up resulting in higher shift points and quicker downshifts during normal driving? I believe all of the tunes I used had 2015+ trans strategy and based on the tire size I had. I’ll ask about the current one.

sootie

Reaction score
Would this end up resulting in higher shift points and quicker downshifts during normal driving? I believe all of the tunes I used had 2015+ trans strategy and based on the tire size I had. I’ll ask about the current one.

yes it would

Reaction score
Does Proven diesel have sotf tuning for the sctx4? I am running 35 x 13.5 R20 toyo mt's.
Can the surging cause premature damage to the bearings and is this surge common for the streetmax x?

andrewtac

Reaction score
Not sure on the sct4; worth a call or email; great guys.

Reply from him today when I asked about it. “ That particular turbo is what we call a "square" turbo meaning that the compressor wheel is the same size as the turbine wheel and CAN make it more difficult to get rid of surge cause of the aggressive comp wheel design it's crabbing so much air on the front end and the turbine side can't overcome it and "stalls" the turbo almost.“

He is going to try some things without changing the tranny tune and also not loose any spool characteristics (I had him reduce smoke and minimize spool). I assume any stalling would be hard on the turbo.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Does Proven diesel have sotf tuning for the sctx4? I am running 35 x 13.5 R20 toyo mt's.
Can the surging cause premature damage to the bearings and is this surge common for the streetmax x?
Im running the Streetmax R on my '15.I run PPEI tunes.NEVER Surges

Latest posts

Members online