Gear head 8k tow tune

Hottrod81

Reaction score
I am looking to get tunes for my 6.0. It's studded and bulletproofed. It's a dually with 4.10s and a stock turbo. I need a good tow tune and would like to go gear head but my 5th wheel is 16k. Is anybody towing this much with his 8k (13k studded tow tune? I do have to pull grades to get to the desert. Is it just a matter of monitoring egts?

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Gear head has an unlimited tow tune as well for towing heavy. Stock fueling parameters. I run that when I go heavy

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hottrod81

Reaction score
How do you like the unlimited tow? Does he do anything besides the trans tuning to get the load moving?

1fastTRX

Reaction score
I prefer the shifting characteristics on his unlimited tow vs IDP's tow tune. IDP adds a little power though. Unlimited Tow is just shifting and whatever mods you have done. No mods done to fueling for stock injector trucks.

Hottrod81

Reaction score
I was thinking about idp tow tune also but it seems people either love them or hate them. I do like the aspect of a bit more power but I am sure the power is backed off at higher rpms to keep the head pressures down?

1fastTRX

Reaction score
I like the power of IDP's tow tune and prefer it to GH. Shifting is decent, but for my liking I prefer a little more lockup and it's tough getting lockup at certain speeds. More of a personal preference than anything and not a flaw. Shift points and lockup just felt better from GH.

Hottrod81

Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. I may just go with ******** and give it a shot. My dad has his 8k tow tune in his truck but doesn't tow more than 9k. I think I would be pissed if I couldn't get it to lock up. On the IDP, did you have to watch the egts on grades?

1fastTRX

Reaction score
I have tons of airflow so EGT's aren't an issue in my case. WOT throttle on a tow tune is about 1050 (MAYBE 1100) degrees. If I lug it I will see 1200 right before it downshifts and then temps drop. I usually don't use my 8k tune for anything except towing a trailer with quads. Cylinder pressures worry me so I usually play it safe... Tune wise at least. I have no issue putting my foot to the floor when I tow if I feel like doing it.

Hottrod81

Reaction score
That is what is nice probably nice about ******** is that I could put it to the floor without worrying about egts.

mstng5point0

Reaction score
I have tons of airflow so EGT's aren't an issue in my case. WOT throttle on a tow tune is about 1050 (MAYBE 1100) degrees. If I lug it I will see 1200 right before it downshifts and then temps drop. I usually don't use my 8k tune for anything except towing a trailer with quads. Cylinder pressures worry me so I usually play it safe... Tune wise at least. I have no issue putting my foot to the floor when I tow if I feel like doing it.

I'm running a Kc stage 2. Did the ported intake make a big difference in EGTs?

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Overall it lowered the egt's by 50-75 maybe 100 degrees, but they rise much slower. Then adding the CSF intercooler just made things work together that much better and slowed egt rise even more with a slight drop at peak as well.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive got a 15k fifth wheel, ive ran both idp and tsd tow tunes. Both pulled good. I think i liked the idp better, as i daily their xtreme street, and i dunno, am kind used to their driveability. Egts get a bit on the hot side pulling long, steep grades, but i have od locked out with the tow haul switch, and that drops them down really quick. Its mainly when it starts to lug and get under the turbo that it starts heating up.

Hottrod81

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with tyrant tunes. I have been trying to find info on them like hp ratings but can't seem to find anything

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I was not a fan of how tyrant tunes ran on my truck personally. They were Smokey, and butt dump felt like they were way low on power. My trans also did not like the way the,shifts were being commanded or something. But.... Every truck is different, lots of guys love gear head tunes, others can't stand them as their truck just doesn't run right. Best thing is to try out all different ones and see what your truck likes best.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Tax does write some good tunes as well. They were fairly good on my truck with the stock trans, since putting in a twisted stage 3, I can't pull enough line pressure with the sct to not feel like I'm gonna snap u joints every shift.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online