towing upgrades

TyCorr

Reaction score
Which part Jake? I dont.think.there arent people who can tow.with 4, 5, 800 hp but rather alot of people.who."tow" dont have any business with a truck.that puts 450+ to the wheels. Hell, the one owner drives a 13 dmax and he runs that ***ker onto the.shoulder everytime we are on the tollway and tue line in front of us stops quickly which is.every two minutes. Hes got the trailer.gain on 2 and the engine.brake off. Its horrible to.watch. And thats 375ish hp. Its not just the power but the lack of idiotproofing on the brakes. That may be what keeps.the oems.from going higher on hp ratings. The rest of the truck.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It's 14' CA and NV which is about the only places we would go.

I should also mention I have DP tuner with 4 tunes. The truck tows great on "1" which is the stock tune and "2" the tow tune. Both do well, obviously 2 has a bit more power, and controls the trans a bit differently. Still on stock intercooler which will be upgrading in about a month.

Before you piss away money swapping intercoolers on stock injectors...

Try changing tuners. Bet you would drop 100* or more with just better tuning.

Milford

Reaction score
The trailer is about 13'10" so it's just a few inches under legal limit. It tows great. Just have to really watch for branches and be selective what gas station you pull in to. Towed over the Techachapies a few times as well as other areas. Never been in a position where I even started to feel uncomfortable, even when off road on hills or sand dunes.

In some states 13'10" is over height. 13'6" is max limit unless permitted, at least for commercial vehicles.

Milford

Reaction score
Sorry I should have read the next few post. I just use to do a lot of OD loads driving over the road. 14'4" tall and 12' wide so I know the regs in most states. That would be a SH###Y fine to get!!!

I didn't think they would make the trailers that tall if its not legal in all the states, or is it because of the lift on the truck and the nose end of the trailer being that tall?

alradco

Reaction score
Its not a big deal for the most part. We're legal so that's a priority. I tow safe, speed limit, we're never in a hurry. The truck stops and tows great. We got surprised a bit on our last trip when we pulled into a huge In n Out. Turned out it wasnt going to be an easy OUT. Anyway, I got out of the truck to walk the exit route, talked to a few people as I walked by them and everyone was more than happy to help out.. The most common thing we get when people see us coming is....they stop and stare...

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
start here.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27648&highlight=boost+leak+detector

do not take the air filter off, and install in its place, unless you have the ccv re-route.

with out the re-route, you install it directly to the rubber pipe that attaches to the turbo itself. the one that reminds you of a funnel.

lower the line pressure of the air compressor, to approximately 25 psi, plug in, and listen. when you find the obvious leaks, then take some soapy water and spray EVERY joint, both sides, top and bottom, and look for bubbles. if all the boots and connections check out, dont forget to check the intake plenum to head. thats also a connection.

if you make a additional adapter, you can install that same thing into the exhaust. there is alot of fking around, as it should be installed directly to the outlet of the turbo. pressurize, and listen.

just because you dont see soot, does NOT mean you dont have a exhaust leak. on a 7.3, especially a stock one thats tuned, even the retarded small leaks can hurt. boost or exhaust.

afterwords, check the icp, and the icp dc, to make sure the hpop is not getting weak. you should be able to maintain 3k psi, at less that 50%. this is, of course, allowing that your current tuning calls for that.

i ran a superchip 1705, on the race tune, towed a GCW of 30k+ of round bales into and out of fields, and up and down the roads, hills and all, and didnt break 1300*. period. if your hot with a superchip, i would bet its a mechanical issue, not a tuning issue.

that said, custom tunes will improve the behavior of that truck DRASTICALLY.

also, if your wastegate actuator is failing, everything else could be checking out as fine, but if your actuator is opening to soon, nothing else will matter, nothing else will fix it.

also, just cuz im curious, what is your fuel pressure set at??

some of these you already covered, but i kinda stopped reading when the bickering started, and skipped ahead, hoping the diagnosing could start fresh, minus the bickering that kinda took over.

so refresh things. what have you tried already, what worked? where are things currently? what have you checked, what have to left to check? what questions do you still need help with?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
start here.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27648&highlight=boost+leak+detector

do not take the air filter off, and install in its place, unless you have the ccv re-route.

with out the re-route, you install it directly to the rubber pipe that attaches to the turbo itself. the one that reminds you of a funnel.

lower the line pressure of the air compressor, to approximately 25 psi, plug in, and listen. when you find the obvious leaks, then take some soapy water and spray EVERY joint, both sides, top and bottom, and look for bubbles. if all the boots and connections check out, dont forget to check the intake plenum to head. thats also a connection.

if you make a additional adapter, you can install that same thing into the exhaust. there is alot of fking around, as it should be installed directly to the outlet of the turbo. pressurize, and listen.

just because you dont see soot, does NOT mean you dont have a exhaust leak. on a 7.3, especially a stock one thats tuned, even the retarded small leaks can hurt. boost or exhaust.

afterwords, check the icp, and the icp dc, to make sure the hpop is not getting weak. you should be able to maintain 3k psi, at less that 50%. this is, of course, allowing that your current tuning calls for that.

i ran a superchip 1705, on the race tune, towed a GCW of 30k+ of round bales into and out of fields, and up and down the roads, hills and all, and didnt break 1300*. period. if your hot with a superchip, i would bet its a mechanical issue, not a tuning issue.

that said, custom tunes will improve the behavior of that truck DRASTICALLY.

also, if your wastegate actuator is failing, everything else could be checking out as fine, but if your actuator is opening to soon, nothing else will matter, nothing else will fix it.

also, just cuz im curious, what is your fuel pressure set at??

some of these you already covered, but i kinda stopped reading when the bickering started, and skipped ahead, hoping the diagnosing could start fresh, minus the bickering that kinda took over.

so refresh things. what have you tried already, what worked? where are things currently? what have you checked, what have to left to check? what questions do you still need help with?

spot on^^^^

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online