7.3 Turbo talk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Hoping to make this thread into a place that the little guy can learn about turbos.
Would love for the sponsors and techs to chime in with their experiences.
Basically this is not for the dedicated racers or pullers, but more for the daily driver and weekend warrior.

What works, what does not work, what is too much, how much is too little? If im going with xx injector what turbo would match that fairly well etc...

Thanks guys!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I will start off by saying ive got 250/200s and all the little stuff to go around them. The turbo i have currently is an hx55 (66mm inducer/ 80mm exhaust...19cm exhaust housing).

It seems as though it spools well but maybe is holding me back on the top end, maybe that is just something you have to live with but i want to know what other options are out there that would make my truck happier!

smokedout250

Reaction score
Great thread! I like the h2e its a well known setup.... but not all of us want that setup im not running huge injectors but plan to go up to at least 238/100... im opting for the s366 and a t4 mount from I rate diesel... I simply could have gone d66 and been done... but I feel that a differnt style turbo is safer and will handle my driving better I don't race but I have my moments were I push the truck and then turn around and drive it daily

Im really looking forward to learn more about turbos they a kind if a mystery to me...

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Great thread! I like the h2e its a well known setup.... but not all of us want that setup im not running huge injectors but plan to go up to at least 238/100... im opting for the s366 and a t4 mount from I rate diesel... I simply could have gone d66 and been done... but I feel that a differnt style turbo is safer and will handle my driving better I don't race but I have my moments were I push the truck and then turn around and drive it daily

Im really looking forward to learn more about turbos they a kind if a mystery to me...

Im with you on that one! I had a D66 awhile back and sort of wish i had kept it just to see what i could push it to these days with tuning how it is, but it would of hated life with my current set up im sure.

The s366 seems like a good setup for a daily driver/tow rig and a small set of hybrids. What would the next bump up from that be i wonder?

4duggan

Reaction score
I would like to know what the safe for the turbo limit would be injector wise with a GTP38R ? I was instructed by Martys Diesel to wait and get the H2E but my impatient a$$ got the 38r. I like it but I only have Swamps 175/146inj. Want to step it up now that I have the BTS and fuel system minus the dual pumps or walbro. I dont have the 1.15 housing yet but it to is being searched for.
Without tuning back a whole lot , I am leaning towards Swamps 200/30. I am looking for a solid 400/450 rear wheel. Its my work truck and I need it daily and me and my truck are gettin old. Its a 2000 w/135k and I am 48.

Thanks Soldiers

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I would like to know what the safe for the turbo limit would be injector wise with a GTP38R ? I was instructed by Martys Diesel to wait and get the H2E but my impatient a$$ got the 38r. I like it but I only have Swamps 175/146inj. Want to step it up now that I have the BTS and fuel system minus the dual pumps or walbro. I dont have the 1.15 housing yet but it to is being searched for.
Without tuning back a whole lot , I am leaning towards Swamps 200/30. I am looking for a solid 400/450 rear wheel. Its my work truck and I need it daily and me and my truck are gettin old. Its a 2000 w/135k and I am 48.

Thanks Soldiers

If you wastegate it you could run damn near anything! But i think most guys find a small hybrid to suit it best. Just watch your back pressure and youll be fine, back pressure kills things it seems

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Thank you Siir, I need to educate myself on how to monitor back pressure.
well id put a manual gauge on it. The
how big of difference is there in the H2E and the gtp38r ? how many cfm?

im not sure on CFM but much more room to grow on the h2e. Depends on what your future goals are, up to 500hp and the 38r seems to be great.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Turbo talk?

LOL...

Its all about goals.

Drop in's work to about 400-450... Beyond that, your better off going with a mount kit for a standard rotation turbo.

If I had money again I would start testing all kinds of T4 and T4i turbos like I did on the drop in's... but money and me parted ways.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
We have been putting over 600hp to stock FORGED rods without issues for several years now.

My personal favorite charger is the 76/74 S300. I ran it as a daily driver in my L'99 pushed by 300/200's. It ran low 8's in the 1/8th and got 16.5 mpg. It is a great charger for a hot street truck that sees the track occasionally.

For the guy wanting 600+ the S400 in the 74/88 or 80/88 has been a very reliable producer for us. We have several customers and one employee who drive these setups daily and love them.

If you are looking for a drop in charger, the 38r is a great choice, but for the money I agree that the H2E setup is the best bang for your buck. If the standard H2E is on the verge of being too small a modded unit (66/71) will be enough for the majority of street trucks.The other great thing about the H2E is the ability to get rebuild kits fairly cheaply. This makes upgrading to a larger turbo easier since you can pretty much always sell it to help pay for the upgrade.

Latest posts

Members online