towing upgrades

Needinajeep

Reaction score
My Rig below is having trouble pulling my 39' foot 13k keystone raptor toy hauler. My pyrometer is on the driver side right before the up pipe. On really small hills I'm having to back off the throttle due to EGT creeping up into high 1300 range. I don't seem to see more than about 15 psi of boost by Edge CTS.

Can't afford a 38r so I will also be ordering a hydra, WW2 from diesel site or riffraff billet wheel, turbo master wastegate, non-ebpv pedastal and outlet from diesel-orings, dorman up pipes (to eliminate any possibility of leaks - lower EGT). I'm considering a 1.0 exhaust housing but worried it will have an affect on the bottom end with a WW2.

and Max a/c control (b/c its cheap and live in hot as hell texas).

Also I need a new air filter so I'll try riffraff 6637 w pre-filter

My rig - 1999.5 CC LB dually 7.3 with 4" mrbp Stainless Turbo-Back Magnaflow Exhaust, 6.0L Trans. Cooler, Foil MOD, CCV Mod, AMSOIL DIY Intake, ATS Ported Turbo Housing, Edge CTS Insight, HPX, Mag-Hytec Trans & Diff Cover, BTS V/B. A fass fuel system and regulated return w bowl delete is waiting to be put in.

by the way 6637 at riffraff are only 28.99

INFRNL

Reaction score
I think the hydra will make a huge difference in your egts.

If you still have issues after that, then I would look into water-meth as mentioned

TyCorr

Reaction score
Intercooler or water/meth(which runs out fairly quick). The intercooler is.cheaper over the long run. You have to have boost leaks or your turbo is shot. You should make more.than 15psi.

Your plan seems decent for eliminating the boost leaks which may be the.cause of your egts. I anticipate you wanting more reduction than your planned mods will provide, hence the suggestion for wm inj or an ic.

Milford

Reaction score
Good tuning goes a long way.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Get a good tow tune on a chip instead of an Edge CTS and you will notice a difference, probably a very big difference. Your trans should be happier with the Hydra also. Just do the chip first and see what kind of difference that makes.

TyCorr

Reaction score
See, I disagree simply because there seems to be some mechanical issues present. Throwing different tuning at worn components seems borderline nutzo to me. Fix the truck.then optimize it.

Just my two cents.

Milford

Reaction score
I meant more along the lines of spending the money for upgraded parts when the problem may be something as simple as the current tuning and an exhaust leak that may just need to have a bolt tightened. Maybe his turbo is going out maybe its his EBPV being stuck closed partially. I would dig into it before spending money on new up-pipes and an exhaust housing.

I know I can run 1400* on my pyro with no leaks and a good turbo. Worn out Injectors and HPOP is my case. Really really worn out injectors.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My 265k mile stockers with the old solid upipes never reached high. Not even close. Ive towed 20k in my race tune with the 38r and it stayed at around 1200. With 175/80s and 38r, stock hpop, and rr the.thing would get up to 1350 towing heavy.

I would think a stocker hitting 1400 is exhibiting some mechanical.issues. Perhaps you're right about your hpop and injectors although Im not sure how those two would cause high egt. In my mind, they would limit fueling and.decrease egt. Buuut I could.be.waaay off there :D

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dang, Milford, especially in a light truck like that! Mines a cc/sb 6"lift and 37s when I had 2's. Now its.rocking 35s and should perform better as its lighter.

bad12jr

Reaction score
A weak hpop/ weeping injector would have poor atomization and will cause high egt's. 2100 ICP will make these things smoke god awful and get hot when it wants 3000.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Needinajeep

Reaction score
MY BAD I have an evolution CS NOT CTS

I had a 6.0 for a long time before this current 7.3. So I'm still trying to figure the 7.3 out.

First off - Is the boost I see on the evolution CS accurate? if so I will re-run the truck today to check max boost psi

The truck has 99,xxx miles on it. It was very well taken care, garaged kept, and maintained the previous owner (a heavy diesel mechanic). The truck is very consistent and doesn't exhibit any other problems. Other than occasionally tough to starts when cold. It always started but couple times it took longer than usual. However the truck hardly gets driven in the winter and sometime sits a few days to weeks between starts.

I agree 15 psi seems low. I don't see any soot on up-pipes but I do have an oil leak either under the pedestal or in the general viscidity. The truck behavior has been the same since I bought it, meaning it hasn't suddenly started acting weird.

I do have a slight oil leak at the dipstick and higher up on the passenger side of the turbo pedestal or below it. Having a hard time seeing where. I can see very well on the drivers side and don't see any oil leaks there.

I have considered water/meth injection but want to be sure everything is working correctly first

How do you guys recommend I start checking this out? 1. I'm ordering a hydra this monday. I know it needs a good tune, the super chip I have is way lame. It just happen to be in the truck when I bought it.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
15 psi is a bit low for stock tuning, should see 17-20. Its not hugely low but a bit.

Milford

Reaction score
Dang, Milford, especially in a light truck like that! Mines a cc/sb 6"lift and 37s when I had 2's. Now its.rocking 35s and should perform better as its lighter.

That's what I figure also but I am not worried about it right now. It sits for the most part and I am not going to throw money at the injectors until I do a build. It does not miss but sometimes you can hear an injector firing like its a little dry or just worn out.

As for the ICP, at WOT in my hot tune you can see oh around 1800-2000 depending on RPM and my ICP Duty cycle % is in the high 50s to low 60s which is crazy high. I will get an SRP 1.1 sooner or later to fix that. I can still turn around 28-30 PSI of boost but probably have leaks.

Sorry about the highjack on the thread.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Get. Custom tunes. That should help your issue. Had a guy I work with bought a bully dog chip. Tuning was so bad that the numbers were pretty much what you have. Gearhead reburned it and now it is perfect running. Now no ICP or DC % issues

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

INFRNL

Reaction score
If you do end up needing an hpop just get a t500 unless you plan on some really big injectors. A good healthy stock pump is plenty for at least a 250/200 injector.

I have an srp1.1 and I see no gains over my stock unit.

Needinajeep

Reaction score
Ok tonight I had a couple runs on the freeway and frontage with video

first one is from an almost dead stop to WOT down the frontage road on flat ground, NO trailer, or incline. Right after I stopped filming I hit low 1300 egt's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfW3o_2JNdg

second is rolling down the road at 40-50 then WOT and again I dipped into 1300 egg's. Traffic was a little heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8kUwWoZDpg

The best I could do was 14 psi at 100 % load and dipped into 1300 EGT each

I definitely have soot escaping from the up pipes, I finally could plainly see it after climbing under truck w a flashlight.

I did take drivers side IC tube couple weeks back because of replacing a hydro-boost line to power steering pump developed a leak from rubbing on top of the shock bolt. I will reseat it in the morning to be sure there is no leaks. I haven't taken apart or disconnected any other hoses on IC, turbo, or intakes.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you do end up needing an hpop just get a t500 unless you plan on some really big injectors. A good healthy stock pump is plenty for at least a 250/200 injector.

I have an srp1.1 and I see no gains over my stock unit.

I disagree with your asessment on oil pumps. Especially with a 200% nozzle. My stocker took a.dump and it was running stock injectors. I put a International hpop on it. It ran muuch better. Fast forward 100k miles and my stg 2's were dropping icp in hot tunes. I can see a 200 or 238 with an 80% nozzle.holding true in your statement but larger nozzles will require more volume. If you tune your own truck I retract my statement.

So you see no benefit of the srp1 on a stock truck? I would.thiiink it would make.crisp a stock truck.just because of oil demand.

Latest posts

Members online