Best tuner on market?

mrdeisel335

Reaction score
My 2000 7.3 powerstroke is in need of some better performance. I want to know what tuner, programmer, or chip is the best for the 7.3 that's on the market. Costs aren't the issue; it's the brand and a certain model. I want to put the best in my truck. Can any of you help me?

duck fan

Reaction score
Do some research. Call a few tuning companies and decide where you feel you are getting the best service combined with the best results.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
In my opinion Gearhead does the best job with making safe horsepower but still makes the truck fast. I have ran nothing but his tunes and they work good for my truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barnhartal

Reaction score
X whatever on the hydra.
If your still stock injectors etc. you get access to Php's tunes included with the purchses which are damn good and would recommend them to anyone stock.

If you are modded with injectors or turbo or just want to try someone else and dont mind spendimg the money then get tunes from

1) Gearhead which i run and they have excellent service

2) Powerstruck- havent run them yet but have heard nothing but good about them and his service seems to be also top notch. My yet is gonna be short lived.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
It's really all personal preference. The fact of the matter is that good tuners will work with you if you are not satisfied right off the bat. That is the nice thing about custom tuning. It can be modified to your liking.

As far as which style of tuner to go with, most in the 7.3L world would say chip. They are easy to install, switch on the fly, and can hold numerous tunes. We have a couple different options as far as chips go if you are interested. Check them out HERE.

Programmers can be good as well, as long as they can hold custom tunes. Most people do not prefer the "off the shelf" type programmers which cannot be modified. Unfortunately, there are only a couple options as far as custom tune-able programmers go for the 7.3L, and they cannot switch tunes on the fly. This is why they are not the most popular. However, we do offer one called the Infinity which is pretty unique. It is not only a programmer, but it is a monitor, datalogger, code reader, and diagnostic tester as well. It is loaded with a Ford Enhanced package which enables you to run injector buzz, cylinder contribution, and KOEO/KOER tests. It will also monitor 218-254 parameters on the 7.3L depending on the year. This is what I personally run, and since I do not switch tunes all the time, it works out great for me. Take a look at it HERE.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about tuning (or the 7.3L in general). I would be glad to help you out.

emev0l

Reaction score
The best tunes you can get are live tunes, find the closest tuner to where you live and have them tune the truck while you drive it or tune it on the dyno.

Tom S

Reaction score
The best tunes you can get are live tunes, find the closest tuner to where you live and have them tune the truck while you drive it or tune it on the dyno.

Some good truth in that statement in particular if you have some ideas on what you want different on your truck like shifting strategies. Reading and getting an idea of the quality of the customer service is also important.

MossBack

Reaction score
yba2epa2.jpg

In the last year I have ran dp-tuner, ts chip and power-struck 8 position. And from the standpoint of flashing tunes my vote goes hydra. Although it was confusing to find the right tune in the library as I am used to using tde1, mle1, xle8, pmt2, vdh5 etc... I have to use the code chart and find the tnaa7s3 blah blah stuff...

I am about to buy my second one for my personal truck as this one never made it out of the box and the customer had to have it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Countrycar

Reaction score
IMHO, If your truck is stock, live tuning is a waste of money. The custom tuning you get from guys like Matt are spot on. These guys have got it down to science. If you've got Hybrids and aftermarket turbos and such, then live tuning can be a good thing.

DocBar

Reaction score
I've ran Gearhead, DI and Bean's (Jonathon's now NLDT) and I like Gearhead's the best. Jonathon's come in second. I'll be buying a Hydra soon and plan on trying Powerstuck's tunes. I've heard a lot of good things about them. I will also try PHP's tunes when I get the Hydra.

MossBack

Reaction score
I've ran Gearhead, DI and Bean's (Jonathon's now NLDT) and I like Gearhead's the best. Jonathon's come in second. I'll be buying a Hydra soon and plan on trying Powerstuck's tunes. I've heard a lot of good things about them. I will also try PHP's tunes when I get the Hydra.

I had to run stock php tunes on the 03 I did this week while I was waiting on tunes... And it ran surprisingly decent... For having 180/100's and t500 the stock file didn't romp at all and made decent power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

DocBar

Reaction score
FWIW, I recently pulled my 15K# 5er from El Centro, Ca. to Lufkin, Tx. with 250/100's installed and my chip tuned for 400/200's in 110* heat for over half the trip. The truck did great. Once I got anywhere near flat land and could keep my rpm's at 2K (70 mph), I could use CC with OD on. No EGT issues, no trans temp issues. Less than great fuel mileage, but I was pulling a 15K trailer with an 8.5K truck. Something's got to give somewhere.

Anywho, great job by Matt @ Gearhead.

Latest posts

Members online