White smoke issue, cant figure it out.

dadada

Reaction score
Truck has had white smoke at start up for awhile and until warm. New glow plug relay, new glow plugs, new injectors, new icp sensor. No loss of coolant, no blowby at all, never any loss of power. 38r only has about 5000 to 10000 miles on it. Truck only has 120,000 and exhaust just smells like diesel exhaust. Noticed I have a white haze at idle also. Any ideas?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Did you change fuel filters. Posisblu water in fuel. What tuning are you running? My dually did this a long time ago and it was idle timing. Or if below 50° it did it every time. Lol

live life full throttle

dadada

Reaction score
Fuel filter was changed. I'm running mostly powerstruck tunes. I have two php and two geerhead tunes also. But mostly run powerstruck tunes. The cold weather will make it worse! Its aggravating! I tried to load a video of it but I keep getting invalid file.

mandkole

Reaction score
Does it on all of the files? As said it's likely a timing issue. Does the eot reflect accurate air temp on cold start? New CPS? Good fuel pressure?

dadada

Reaction score
Before the injectors, it did it on all the files. Havent tried after the injectors installed. Haven't had to put a cps on since i've owned the truck. Fuel pressure stays at 65psi even at wot. It has never thrown any codes either. I will have to try the other files in the morning and see what happens.

Last edited:

dadada

Reaction score
Tried geerhead files and php files, also stock file. When I first start the truck it will puff out white smoke then sit and idle with a white smoke haze. Does this in all the files still. Any ideas?

mandkole

Reaction score
Before the injectors, it did it on all the files. Havent tried after the injectors installed.

Do the new injs act the same way? Hazes when hot, or just cold? Mine has had some cold haze forever but also doesn't have an accurate eot sensor below 80f (I've wondered if it's not advancing enough when cold to kill the haze). Don't know if related, one of these days I'll take the time to mess with it.

I seriously doubt it's mechanical, but it's very annoying. Put another few hundred miles on the injs then get back with the tuner. You could probably tune it out?

dadada

Reaction score
Do the new injs act the same way? Hazes when hot, or just cold? Mine has had some cold haze forever but also doesn't have an accurate eot sensor below 80f (I've wondered if it's not advancing enough when cold to kill the haze). Don't know if related, one of these days I'll take the time to mess with it.

I seriously doubt it's mechanical, but it's very annoying. Put another few hundred miles on the injs then get back with the tuner. You could probably tune it out?

I'm just gonna drive it and see what happens.

dadada

Reaction score
Get a couple hundred miles on it with some hard wot runs and report back. Also like mentioned, does eot mach air temp in the morning prior to startup?

live life full throttle

Will do! I don't have any way of monitoring eot at the moment. Warm or cold truck still white smokes. Drives me nuts!

dadada

Reaction score
Well been driving truck lately. Still white smoke at startup and hazes white smoke. Have tunes from three different tuners and nothing changes when trying all of them. Tried stock tune also and nothing changes.

uncool

Reaction score
The 180/100's are your issue. I just went through this on my uncles truck 160/100's. No amount of tuning is gonna fix a poor injector choice. If it was indeed LIVE tuned, then your tuner may think haze is normal.

dadada

Reaction score
The 180/100's are your issue. I just went through this on my uncles truck 160/100's. No amount of tuning is gonna fix a poor injector choice. If it was indeed LIVE tuned, then your tuner may think haze is normal.

Drives me nuts!

mandkole

Reaction score
When power hungry live tuned mine years ago, they had to elevate the icp at idle to reduce haze. It idles at 775-800 psi all the time and is a little louder. It's commonly said that 100s don't have as good of resolution as the 80s. Hot haze is never an issue for me, but they are when cold. These injectors work fine but have a few miles on them.

dadada

Reaction score
When power hungry live tuned mine years ago, they had to elevate the icp at idle to reduce haze. It idles at 775-800 psi all the time and is a little louder. It's commonly said that 100s don't have as good of resolution as the 80s. Hot haze is never an issue for me, but they are when cold. These injectors work fine but have a few miles on them.

I guess I need to take it back and get some tune revising.

Arisley

Reaction score
I had 250/250 that hazed when cold. In the winter, they made the air flammable for a few minutes. After warm up, they ran clean as a whistle unless I was in my higher tunes or got under the turbo.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It doesnt get cold enough for issues like that where you two are from.. lol
I had 238/100's that never hazed, even when cold.
I had 250/250 that hazed when cold. In the winter, they made the air flammable for a few minutes. After warm up, they ran clean as a whistle unless I was in my higher tunes or got under the turbo.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online