Ticking

Sterling B.

Reaction score
Soooo... 370K miles on 7 stock injectors and a reman in the #8 hole. Unknown miles on the reman, but recall it being a different code than the others. I've got a ticking at idle when cold and above idle. Sounded metallic like a cracked flexplate, but didn't sound like it was coming from that area while under the truck. Ticking got a little quieter when warm, but still noticeable. This was all before adding 2-stroke oil to the fuel.

Went ahead and added 1 oz. of 2-stroke oil per gallon of fuel in the tank just as a shot in the dark and the ticking noise is nearly gone after about 1.5 tanks of fuel. So, I've obviously have an injector-related issue at hand. The question is: am I going to do more damage by continuing to run it? Don't use the truck to tow any more... the '15 gets to do that. I'm mainly concerned about a tip breaking off and raising hell in the cylinder. Engine is in good shape with minimal blow-by. And with having another truck to drive, I can let the 7.3 sit until necessary repairs can be made. I appreciate any help.

dmd

Reaction score
Not sure how long you have had the truck, all 7.3 seem to make that tic. Maybe this is
different. Could be low fuel pressure as that can cause louder injection and #8 is more
impacted than the others.
I use a pint bottle and fill it with 3/4 two stroke and 1/3 Power Service grey bottle. Make a big difference in overall engine noise.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
Not sure how long you have had the truck, all 7.3 seem to make that tic. Maybe this is
different. Could be low fuel pressure as that can cause louder injection and #8 is more
impacted than the others.
I use a pint bottle and fill it with 3/4 two stroke and 1/3 Power Service grey bottle. Make a big difference in overall engine noise.

I've had the truck for the last 100K. Never heard anything before and then one day it decided to start the ticking.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You said it sounds like a broken flex plate. That noise sounds like marbles rolling around in a metal coffee can.. so if the "tick" is anything close to that then im guessing you have a bent pushrod rubbing on the head gasket hole it runs through.

live life full throttle

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
Mine had a noticeable tick, it was the exhaust manifold on drivers side. I put a gasket on the manifold when I did the t-4 swap.

Sterling B.

Reaction score
You said it sounds like a broken flex plate. That noise sounds like marbles rolling around in a metal coffee can.. so if the "tick" is anything close to that then im guessing you have a bent pushrod rubbing on the head gasket hole it runs through.

live life full throttle

My thinking was that if it was just starting to crack, that it might have more of a tick to it as opposed to the marble sound.

With the 2-stroke oil alleviating the sound, I know it's down to injector(s). I've parked the truck until I can determine the extent of the issue(s). I actually prefer using this truck for my daily over my '15, but planning a wedding has put this ole girl on the back burner for a bit since I have the other truck to drive. If I had to guess, I'd say the fuel pump is original as well and may be getting weak. With anything, I don't want to put cheap parts on just for the sake of saving money since I know it'll just be a bigger headache later when I'm having to replace them again.

Latest posts

Members online