All 8 pistons cracked? What happened?

08Stroke

Reaction score
So I’d like to get some opinions on what the heck happened here. Less than 45k miles on motor #2 and boom! Cracked number 8 clean across and the other 7 have smaller fracture cracks in them. I’m at a loss. These were fly cut, delipped and coated Mahle pistons. The cracks are all right at the lip of the fly cuts on each piston. The truck was dyno’d at 630whp and is stock fuel and air. No where near a big power truck. Is it just a coincidence that 2 weeks prior new tuning was downloaded to the truck? What’s everyone’s thoughts on this? Also, I’m considering going with the maxxforce pistons this go around. Is that the best option available right now? Who’s got the best pricing? Thanks in advance for any input.

sootie

Reaction score
crap tuning that sprayed right on the edge of the bowl, with a ton of timing. its like a cutting torch. Get Gear head tunes and i bet you will be fine with hd pistons. At least i was. You wont make 630 i doubt but 575-590 is good enough for stock fuel and air. I can just imagine how hot it was.

No its not a "big power truck" but you are pushing it too hard. Get a larger atmosphere charger and make more power than what you have, a lot cooler and cleaner. would be cheaper than replacing engines lol

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Flycut and delipped pistons can be problematic if they are incorrectly milled. The leading edges can create stress risers and in turn reduce the ability to handle higher levels of heat.

This is odd being you were also ceramic coated.

Unless you looking for BIG power, I would not flycut reliefs for valves... my personal opinion.

Just curious. Who's tunes did you have prior too and who tunes recently installed?

08Stroke

Reaction score
crap tuning that sprayed right on the edge of the bowl, with a ton of timing. its like a cutting torch. Get Gear head tunes and i bet you will be fine with hd pistons. At least i was. You wont make 630 i doubt but 575-590 is good enough for stock fuel and air. I can just imagine how hot it was.

No its not a "big power truck" but you are pushing it too hard. Get a larger atmosphere charger and make more power than what you have, a lot cooler and cleaner. would be cheaper than replacing engines lol

I’ve tried GH tuning and wasn’t pleased with the trans tuning at all. I’ve spoken with my current tuner and he told me it was running 18* timing max.

It actually made 630 on other tuning. It probably made more power on this particular tune, that info was just included as reference that the truck isn’t making huge power numbers.

I’d rather not get into dropping names at this point of who did what. It starts to sound bad and look like I’m trying to talk **** about the companies. I’m not easy on my truck and I’m well aware of that, but I’d like info on how to better prevent this issue again. Whether it be better pistons and/or different tuning.

purplepstroke

Reaction score
Another thing is how long were your full throttle runs. Did you go from 0-120 pr anything where egts stay up for a long time.

Jomax

Reaction score
Another thing is how long were your full throttle runs. Did you go from 0-120 pr anything where egts stay up for a long time.

Pistons are that fragile in the 6.4s? I’ve gone to max speed on my 6.7 countless times hitting 1800 egts etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Wheres the PROOF???It's EASY to be a KEYBOARD ENGINEER

eat a dik. Your douchery calmed down for a bit but know its flaring up again it seems...shouldnt you be getting drunk and gorging on turkey right now??

Unlike you, I actually work on my own truck, and many others, and have seen many failures/not failures first hand.

Have you ever built a six four? Or blown up a six four with different pistons in it?

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
eat a dik. Your douchery calmed down for a bit but know its flaring up again it seems...shouldnt you be getting drunk and gorging on turkey right now??

Unlike you, I actually work on my own truck, and many others, and have seen many failures/not failures first hand.

Have you ever built a six four? Or blown up a six four with different pistons in it?
Practice what you preach.MISERABLE PRICK

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Wheres the PROOF???It's EASY to be a KEYBOARD ENGINEER
this isnt awol.. leave these types of chit posts out of these kinds of threads. you constantly start chit and need to go elsewhere to do so.

you two need to get a room!

live life full throttle