new exhaust manifolds casted like sh*t

rrchlin

Reaction score
Hey all. I got some new Doorman exhaust manifolds.. I figured how bad could they be.. but I do know better.

the casting is really rough and grainy. if you stick your fingers in the ports you can chip off some of the iron. the passengers side is even worse and the port holes aren't even completely round.

I tried to get another one locally but someone must of returned theirs and swapped boxes cause the passenger part # box had an opened up drivers side in there.

It was only until I was in the store did I start to think of these manifolds taking my turbo out.

So what do you guys think? I thought I took a picture.. but I didn't.
I already wrecked both stock manifolds :biggun:

CanadianStroker

Reaction score
I currently have the dorman pass side manifold on my truck, as it was the only think available to me at the time. Mine may not have been as rough as a cast, but I've had no issues with it so far. Had it on my truck for about 9 months, and it didn't seem to leak with new hardware and such. I did put some gasket maker on it to help prevent it from leaking on install. My driver side is starting to go and I was going to replace it with the dorman piece as well. Hopefully this helps.

rrchlin

Reaction score
good to know. I always try to think of the thousands and thousands of guys who put these on with no problems.

I don't think I'll have an issue with leaking.. its just that the casting is so rough. Like I can put my fingers in and dig around and chip off some of the cast.

I'm probably going to just say F it and throw them on. The passengers really looks like **** compared to the drivers side though. And the old manifolds are 100% smooth inside.

rrchlin

Reaction score
After checking em a 3rd time they're not as bad.. I haven't been able to dig out any more chunks of metal.

But the quality is a lot worse than the drivers side. The drivers sides ports are at least round and not chipped.

Here's pics for any guys in the future wondering WTF did they just buy.

Attachments

• Vj9APyO.jpg
    Vj9APyO.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 108
  • GsrFKwM.jpg
    GsrFKwM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

rrchlin

Reaction score
Old man dave are those all the turbos you blew with doorman manifolds? lol

I just talked to my brother.. I'm going to just throw them on. So I can finish the job. I already have the fenders, manifolds, up-pipes and turbo removed.
If I could get 1 day shipping on used eBay manifolds or if I knew a junkyard that had powerstrokes, I would get a used set.

I'm going to be doing the torque converter sometime soon and would like to get a van turbo and use this old one for an I6 F150 so I'm open to swapping to the newer style manifolds and up-pipes. I just didn't have as much of a grasp on this subject when I started ordering parts.

Anyone know off the top of their head where to install a pyrometer? I'll try to search before I leave home to go and work on the truck. Phones all cracked and kinda hard to find good info on my phone.

Optimator82

Reaction score
Anyone know off the top of their head where to install a pyrometer? I'll try to search before I leave home to go and work on the truck. Phones all cracked and kinda hard to find good info on my phone.

Driver side exhaust manifold. I have mine on the underside at the rear of the exhaust manifold.

old man dave

Reaction score
Driver side exhaust manifold. I have mine on the underside at the rear of the exhaust manifold.

Just before the upturn seems to work for the stockers, don't imagine the Dormans are too much different. Besides then you don't need an extension cable for the thermocouple sensor. Be careful tapping the hole as the metal is not very thick even on the factory manifolds.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
Old man dave are those all the turbos you blew with doorman manifolds? lol

I wouldn't use anything from Dorman, they have a terrible reputation as cheap Chinese parts. And that's not a joke!:cursing:

The new turbos are what was in my storeroom at the time, a 72mm KASB, H2e and a GTP-38R (L to R). Along with a new set of factory exhaust manifolds and a couple of sets of old ones.

Latest posts

Members online