Tire pressure advice

Spindrift

Reaction score
I'm about to head west with our fifth wheel and need some advice regarding proper tire pressure for my truck; a 2012 F350 DRW. Tires are a Toyo Open Country M/T, 285/75 17. I'm not having any luck finding a load inflation table so I'd rather not guess at the proper fill pressure.

I put the rig on a Cat scale last night with the fiver hooked. Steer axle came in at 5480# and the drive axle came in at 7500#. I had filled my fuel tanks and put some water in my fresh water tank of the fiver. I imagine there might be another 500# of stuff that we'll pack into the fiver by the time we leave but it shouldn't add that much more weight per tire.

The Toyo M/T has a rated Max. Load Single of 3195# @ 80psi and a Max. Load Dual of 2910# @80psi.

Whadya' think?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Yes. When I had a single wheel truck I used to run 80-85 in back. I am not suggesting going above what the tire says though.
The only tailoring tire pressure to load has been if you are under the weight rating of the tire, you are over. I have not seen a tire chart that goes over what is on the sidewall.
Bring a tire gauge and a temp gun. Shoot all the tires and hubs. If any are not close to the others, low on air or a hub going bad.

alradco

Reaction score
I run max psi in my Toyos when pulling our 5th wheel. Never an issue.

Baker42

Reaction score
Unhook the trailer fill the tires @ 76 hook trailer back up when the tires are rollin and heated up they will be around 80p.s.i. depending on altitude. Or option 2 Unhook trailer go to your nearest ford dealership and have them filled with nitrogen @ 80 if you are that worried just don't run less than 70 you will be fine. Now if I could only get someone to answer my question.:fordoval:

blk99

Reaction score
full pressure for that kind of weight.... you dont have to take the 5er off just make sure the tires are stone cold and fill them to 80... notice on the sidewall it says 80psi COLD, they have already accounted for the heat expansion.... thats how i run my SRW truck and I gross 31K damn near DAILY and have never once had a blown or separated tire on the truck....

same goes for your trailer too... trailer tires are very picky, they are designed to ALWAYS be at their max rating....

Latest posts

Members online