Supercharged 7.3

Charles

Reaction score
Can't believe I called it on the Pitbull....

And people say profiling doesn't work.

Charles

Reaction score
Mercury Racing used to be all blowers. Now the big power stuff is all turbo.

I guarantee you the Banks Marine deal is in response to boat guys getting boners over blower motors, and Gale wanting to sell some engines.

A set of compounds on that same engine would murder that trash.

Intake air temp would drop, parasitic loss would drop, mileage would increase and power would go through the roof.

superpsd

Reaction score
Older roots blowers had a adiabatic efficiency in the 40-50% range. The M122 I am running is 65% in the sweetest spot of the map. Twin screws like the new Whipple Chargers put the number up to 75% adiabatic and a 99% Volumetric efficiency. i found some information that had a Whipple representative stating that a 2.9 Whipple will take 25 hp to drive the blower at peak pressure which is 25 psi for that unit. So at lower pressures I am sure the parasitic loss is not a major concern. I mean that Whipple only 7.1 Duramax is said to dyno over 1500 hp screaming thru a pair of zoomie headers. Now of course compounds have many advantages but blowers can have their place as well and as technology in the twin screw and roots departments improve superchargers will likely be more useful down the road.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mercury Racing used to be all blowers. Now the big power stuff is all turbo.

I guarantee you the Banks Marine deal is in response to boat guys getting boners over blower motors, and Gale wanting to sell some engines.

A set of compounds on that same engine would murder that trash.

Intake air temp would drop, parasitic loss would drop, mileage would increase and power would go through the roof.

Cost would tank too! Thats in direct opposition to Gales goals.

superpsd

Reaction score
I am sure there is little to gain currently. Getting things working and reliable was the first step. I have built a few custom turbo setups but this is my first experience with a custom blower installation. I ordered a few more parts tonight and have a few things to work toward. A bypass is one and trying to increase the blower speed is another. I have found that the price for a stand alone whipple 3.3 to be cheaper than the 2.9 kit. Since all I need is the blower that may be the route I will go.

2000wa250

Reaction score
So with this bypass valve...how are you going to filter the air it brings in?

PDT1081

Reaction score
this guy doesnt stop... geez, you can lead a horsie to water, but you cant make him drink...

Best thing about his setup is when he breaks the blower belt his bypass will allow him to continue on like a stock truck. Hell, he'll probably enjoy how much quieter it gets when that happens.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
avehebup.jpg
a6e5uty9.jpg

Turbo over blower v2471.

No oil leaks!

Yet.

superpsd

Reaction score
One crazy engine. I have seen the videos of that beast. I wish I could see /hear that one in person.

superpsd

Reaction score
Blower needs more speed. Currently limited to 10,200 rpm @ 3800. I will be ordering up parts to finally build a bypass for the turbo. I am dealing with a company who has gears to overdrive the blower internally which would be nice as no further pulley or belt drive changes would be needed to spin the blower in a more use able speed range. Looking into self tuning software so changes can be made as I make changes. Once the blower is spun faster I am also considering injectors. Mileage is good nut hard to gauge as I have not been on any long trips lately. I also upgraded to Toyo M/T 255/85/16s right before the blower was installed. I averaged 21mpg with the toyos on my last camping trip without the blower. Mileage on my basic daily path to work suffers because of all the city driving. Response has been improved and I like the way the blower changes the way it accelerates. Smoke is down from a plume to a haze on hard accel on the canned performance tune.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online