Looking for turbo suggestions

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Towing with a 550-600hp truck is pretty easy with a little common sense

Once you start getting into the 600-650 range the setups become harder to tow with. That just means you have to keep your rpms up and possibly unlock the torque converter if the egts start to get hot.

I think a lot of it is "education". I still have guys that email me upset that they can't pull a long grade with a 10k loaded behind them and 1500-1600rpms like they used to before??? WTF? Who is trying to pull a long grade with a trailer at 1500rpms?

Also it is important to understand that these trucks can handle 1200-1300 egts ALL DAY EVERY DAY as long as you keep your EOT and ECT down.

190/30 and KC stage 2 or s362/363 will put you around 550-600hp. It will tow pretty easy. This turbo combo will tow fine around 1800-2200 on flat ground but you still need to pull the hills around 2500rpms

205/75 and KC stage 3 or S364.5 should put your more into the 600-650 range. But towing will become more of a chore. Watching your EGT gauge, downshifting a lot, and trying to keep your rpms around 2500-2800 when pulling any grade. On flat ground around 1800-2000rpms these turbos can make your egts climb if you are not careful and watching.

250/100 hybrids and s369 or s468 should put you around 650-700hp. Towing is going to be hard. I know a few guys say they tow fine on flat ground, but most of them won't advertise publicly that the only way to pull that off is to stay around 2500-2800 rpms with the tq converter unlocked the most of the time... even then it can run a little toasty.

08Monster

Reaction score
Towing with a 550-600hp truck is pretty easy with a little common sense

Once you start getting into the 600-650 range the setups become harder to tow with. That just means you have to keep your rpms up and possibly unlock the torque converter if the egts start to get hot.

I think a lot of it is "education". I still have guys that email me upset that they can't pull a long grade with a 10k loaded behind them and 1500-1600rpms like they used to before??? WTF? Who is trying to pull a long grade with a trailer at 1500rpms?

Also it is important to understand that these trucks can handle 1200-1300 egts ALL DAY EVERY DAY as long as you keep your EOT and ECT down.

190/30 and KC stage 2 or s362/363 will put you around 550-600hp. It will tow pretty easy. This turbo combo will tow fine around 1800-2200 on flat ground but you still need to pull the hills around 2500rpms

205/75 and KC stage 3 or S364.5 should put your more into the 600-650 range. But towing will become more of a chore. Watching your EGT gauge, downshifting a lot, and trying to keep your rpms around 2500-2800 when pulling any grade. On flat ground around 1800-2000rpms these turbos can make your egts climb if you are not careful and watching.

250/100 hybrids and s369 or s468 should put you around 650-700hp. Towing is going to be hard. I know a few guys say they tow fine on flat ground, but most of them won't advertise publicly that the only way to pull that off is to stay around 2500-2800 rpms with the tq converter unlocked the most of the time... even then it can run a little toasty.
I'm thinking 190/30s and a stage 2 is what I will end up doing. Could I run 190/100s (again, they are cheap), and still have no issues and tow fine? I'm not sure what effect nozzles have on that stuff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I'm thinking 190/30s and a stage 2 is what I will end up doing. Could I run 190/100s (again, they are cheap), and still have no issues and tow fine? I'm not sure what effect nozzles have on that stuff.

190 is the "internal capacity" of the injector (simplified version). That is how much fuel the injector holds

30 or 100 is the size of the nozzle over stock. This is going to determine how fast the fuel dumps.

The problem with a larger nozzle is that it dumps fuel so fast down low that you lose atomization. You can only pull PW so far until you have to pull back on ICP. Smaller nozzles can run higher ICP at the same PW to dump the same amount of fuel, thus are more efficient. Think of a fine mist VS a leaky faucet.

So down low it becomes hard to pull fuel and run efficiently. You will get higher egts, more smoke, and less power down low with a larger nozzle.

Conversely a larger nozzle can dump the fuel faster on the top end and can run less PW which helps make more/safer power.

For my personally daily driver. There is no contest. I would stick with a 30% nozzle. I have switched back and forth many times. Tried everyone tuning. VGT vs Non-vgt turbos. The 30% nozzle is my favorite mix between top end power, and bottom end performance (low smoke and egts).

08Monster

Reaction score
190 is the "internal capacity" of the injector (simplified version). That is how much fuel the injector holds

30 or 100 is the size of the nozzle over stock. This is going to determine how fast the fuel dumps.

The problem with a larger nozzle is that it dumps fuel so fast down low that you lose atomization. You can only pull PW so far until you have to pull back on ICP. Smaller nozzles can run higher ICP at the same PW to dump the same amount of fuel, thus are more efficient. Think of a fine mist VS a leaky faucet.

So down low it becomes hard to pull fuel and run efficiently. You will get higher egts, more smoke, and less power down low with a larger nozzle.

Conversely a larger nozzle can dump the fuel faster on the top end and can run less PW which helps make more/safer power.

For my personally daily driver. There is no contest. I would stick with a 30% nozzle. I have switched back and forth many times. Tried everyone tuning. VGT vs Non-vgt turbos. The 30% nozzle is my favorite mix between top end power, and bottom end performance (low smoke and egts).
Gotcha, so a 30% is much better for almost any application.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Gotcha, so a 30% is much better for almost any application.

No. It is great for a "certain" application.

Lots of guys don't tow
Lots of guys don't mind smoke
Lots of guys are looking to make the maximum HP

It really comes down to what each person wants.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I have played with a few different size injectors and I like the smaller nozzles for towing. Like KC said no smoke and lower egts while towing heavy. In my opinion it all come down to engine size. These are small liter engines and they can make good power but trying to push them with big injectors and turbos will cause you grief and disappointment in the towing world. I like the looks of the 155/30's and a KC stage 1.5 for a solid tow setup. That's just my 2c

Latest posts

Members online