parallel turbos?

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Ok, so I saw this video the other day: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IttuYPfgxx8
and I started thinking about a setup like this. Like my other ideas I have, if I ever even do this it won't be for a looong time. But I was wondering what turbos would be good for this? Say, the engine has stage 3ish injectors and all the supporting fuel/engine mods. I was thinking 2 stock turbos with wicked wheels or 2 s362s with a smaller exhaust housing so it can spool them easier. And where would this put power? I'm guessing somewhere between 5-700 horse and like 1000 lbs of torque. Just a thought

sootie

Reaction score
Getting the balance between spool and top end could be one of the bigger challenges...

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Yeah that's why I was thinking stock turbos with wicked wheels, cause those should spool really quick, and give like 40-60lbs of boost total, theoretically. But I also know that they probably won't last too long making that much. But I'm not sure cause I've never pushed mine that far, nor do I have a wicked wheel in mine

superpsd

Reaction score
That truck was for sale on her just a year or so back. The stock turbos are not going to work well. Journal bearings are not meant to withstand heavy loads. Wicked wheels do not help spool up. From what I have read it's actually the other way around they give up low end response for higher flow. Find the build thread on that truck there is a lot of information that will help.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
an S362 will support almost 600hp strung out...

so you're planning on putting 1000+hp worth of single turbo (parallel turbos are a single stage of compression) on the truck...

you can't get 40-60psi out of a stock turbo with a wicked wheel, they'll blow up.

do yourself a huge favor and learn what a compressor map is, what it means, and how to interpret it. I don't care how long it takes you... It will save you a lot of time and money in the long run

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
No, my truck just has exhaust/intake/chip right now. I'm just thinking about how you could do it. Like I said, I don't have any experience with wicked wheels, so I don't know firsthand how and when they spool and how well they work. I mean 40-60psi total, meaning 20-30 from each turbo, which I thought was about right for a stocker.

sootie

Reaction score
seeing how boost is a measure of restriction, i dont see you your math works...

superpsd

Reaction score
Look up member Chrisf97305. He built that truck in the video and I think it has been sold on to someone else. Very top notch fab work. It was a daily driven/drag/pull truck he said. He had a build thread on PSN. Lots of information. There were a few other parrellel twin 7.3s that were not so successful. It's a lot of work to fabricate a twin setup hope you have the fab skills. I have built a few custom turbo kits. I put twin parrellels on An old Chevy 6.2 idi farm truck years ago. The fabrication part is not all that hard it's the fact that it sucks up so much of your free time.

The old Chevy 6.2TT built with scavenged parts. I had like maybe 80$ out of my pocket on the setup.
DSC02061.jpg

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
No, my truck just has exhaust/intake/chip right now. I'm just thinking about how you could do it. Like I said, I don't have any experience with wicked wheels, so I don't know firsthand how and when they spool and how well they work. I mean 40-60psi total, meaning 20-30 from each turbo, which I thought was about right for a stocker.

that is not how turbos work... again... learn what a compressor map is, what it means, and how to read it.

a typical human can't use their lungs to pressurize something over about 2psi.

just because you line up 10 people all trying to pressurize the same vessel with their lungs doesn't mean they can't now magically create 20psi of pressure... they're still only going to be able to create 2psi of pressure.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Obviously I'm no turbo expert, I just figured it would be about that much psi. What would you do to get about that much boost with parallels? The fab part would be no problem, just time consuming like you said.

sootie

Reaction score
Obviously I'm no turbo expert, I just figured it would be about that much psi. What would you do to get about that much boost with parallels? The fab part would be no problem, just time consuming like you said.

there is a reason sequential or compound turbos are much more popular...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you're not going to get that kind of single stage efficiency out of parallels. Compressors get more efficient at higher pressure ratios as they get larger.

If you want 60psi out of a single stage, you're going to have to go larger on the compressor, not smaller

superpsd

Reaction score
Chrisf truck was seeing up to 60 psi with the parallels with 250/100s. It think they were S3XX turbos reading his thread may give light to what turbos he used.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Chrisf truck was seeing up to 60 psi with the parallels with 250/100s. It think they were S3XX turbos reading his thread may give light to what turbos he used.

I've pushed an S362 to 55psi, but it didn't make any more power than it did at 48psi

bluedge8

Reaction score
So this looks like a good thread to ask a couple of basic questions. Why do most gas performance people use parallel setups? Wouldn't compounding be helpful on either platform?
and when people do setup sequential, what is the advantage of running the exhaust side like they do? Dont they run the exh to the high pressure first then the atmo? I'm guessing here but have always wondered about that. And I do need to understand a turbo map, they have never made sense to me.