Power loss with stage 1 cam?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
I have two identical 06s except ones all white the other all Black with the same mods except the black truck has an RCD stage 1 cam. The white truck I've owned for 9 years has seen a lot of track time and has gone a best of 13.23s @ 101 with stock injectors, power max, xtreme race, exhaust and some weight reduction. Last time it was out it went 13.40s at a similar weight to the black one. Took the black truck to the track tonight for the first time and couldn't do better than 13.6 @ 96. Motor was just built in November with the cam and valve train. Runs perfect, def more laggy under 2000rpm and has never felt as strong as the white one. Fuel pressure is 50psi @ with new hfcm and blue spring. Good ICP voltage @ wot. White truck peaks 32psi of boost black maxs out at 30. The only thing I can think of is the black truck has a snow plow prep fan clutch the white does not. I'd really hate to have to tear this motor apart to change back to a stock cam

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Did you change converters or anything? Sure nothing is acting up? Either injector, sensor, trans wise? Was tuning changed after cam?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Highly unlikely, but is it possible a boost leak that only leaks at higher boost, you are a few lbs less boost? Probably stupid but just a thought

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Did you change converters or anything? Sure nothing is acting up? Either injector, sensor, trans wise? Was tuning changed after cam?

Converters are both stock, it leaves fine at 23-25psi @ 2500rpm. It runs perfect, I work on these trucks for a living. Tranny shifted perfect all night. I am running the x3 out of the white truck set on the extreme race tune I've always run.

bandit6oh

Reaction score
Is there a chance the gearing is different in the 2 trucks? I don't know if all the super duty's came with the same rear gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
So I swap wheels and tires on the trucks to take that out of the equation but I knew it wouldn't be much ended with a 36lb difference. I'm going to pull the receiver and I'm on the fence about ordering a regular fan clutch just for the hell of it wouldn't be bad for the money if I got a couple tenths out of it

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
The can was installed with the factory tool, it would only go in one way. I thought of that to but I've lost power under 2000rpm but it doesn't seem to make up for it at wot

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
I'm at the track now, have the factory wheels and tires on, receiver is off. Picked up over a mph 97.71 but hopped spun to a 13.82, 1.993 60'. Should squeek a 13.50 out of it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The first thing that jumps out at me is the 13.23 for a powermax and a tune... Are you positive this is the only thing done to this truck because that time seems ridiculously fast for the small amount of mods done. What is the bed/cab configuration?

The slower time for the truck with identical mods and the stage 1 cam is exactly where I would have guessed for times. To me the truck that stands out more being "not normal" is the faster one...

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Yeah I've owned that truck since it was new, as you can see in my Sig it went 12.70 @ 105 by adding 155s. Race weight 71xx. Another member here with a crew cab 05 went 13.3 or 4 with an 03 turbo.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Those times and your weight equate to like 600+ rwhp... on stock injectors and a powermax?

Not sure how you're doing it, but more power to you man! Never heard of anyone doing more than 500 or so on stock injectors.

Reaction score
Yes it is possible to have loss of power after cam. .... There has been a LOT going on for a long time of "thinking" things work if you go with a bigger and better cam.... this isn't always the case and well.. it happens in a world of bad information and lack of education on the matter..

either way good track times !

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I had 190/100% and Stage-3 Barder turbo in my van with live Warren tuning, My best was 13.25. No idea on how your doing it with so little effort.
?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
The white truck made 435rwhp 760tq with an 03 turbo, with the powermax it probably made 450 460. The black one going off trap speed is down like 40 horse

Reaction score
Yes it is possible to have loss of power after cam. .... There has been a LOT going on for a long time of "thinking" things work if you go with a bigger and better cam.... this isn't always the case and well.. it happens in a world of bad information and lack of education on the matter..

either way good track times !
Could you elaborate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online