Need a 6.0 Pep Talk / Advice

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Alright guys... So short version of the story is I bought a 6.0, understand what they were about. I abused my 04 (IDP Race, no bulletproofing) and it never gave me any problems. I have now rolled back around to my 2005 CCSB and I just have this uncomfortable feeling when I'm pushing it hard. I bought this truck for two reasons 1. it's the only reasonably priced way to get into a diesel and 2. to pull our 10K 5th wheel. With a wife and (2) little girls on board I find myself scared to push it and somewhat regretting my decision. I really thought I would be ok with it knowing what 6.0's are about (for the most part) and knowing how hard i pushed my old one, but I just can't seem to get comfortable. I never intended to spend a butt load of money on this truck, hence my predicament.

So here I am asking...am I overly concerned? It wouldn't bother me a lick if it was just me, but those two car seats in the back and leaving our area to explore with the camper really make it a different game.

What do I do?

Keep it stock and give it hell?

Do a few simple mods (EGR, Cat, and monitor?)

Dig a bit deeper into it?? I have no idea where this list ends outside of EGR/Studs

Not put any more money into a 6.0 and think about getting into a 6.7?

I've even thought about selling this one and finding one with all the mods done (perhaps a dually and/or even a 6sp for the camper).

I don't intend to daily this truck, but will for a bit when the WV goes back. Majority of it's time will be spent pulling our 5er. Truck has 115K on it and was meticulously maintained by a Ford Engineer. It has all new brakes, re done turbo, Oil cooler, flushed on time, etc

What do you guys think?

samgoto96

Reaction score
Get an Edge Insight, monitor everything, assess where your temperatures are at and take care of a problems as they come along. And just drive it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Stud it, egr fix, cam and lifters while youre in there doing studs, same with stc and stand pipes/dummy plugs. Tow tune, regulated return or at least the blue spring. Should be good to go for a long time. Really only see cam and lifters near 200k, but while youre in tyere it is cheap insurance.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Stud it, egr fix, cam and lifters while youre in there doing studs, same with stc and stand pipes/dummy plugs. Tow tune, regulated return or at least the blue spring. Should be good to go for a long time. Really only see cam and lifters near 200k, but while youre in tyere it is cheap insurance.

Sounds like about 5-7 grand(ish)? :fustrate: Not exactly what I was going for, but again piece of mind might be worth it...

I don't think I know much about STC, Stand pipe & Dummy plugs... I'll need to look into that.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Get an Edge Insight, monitor everything, assess where your temperatures are at and take care of a problems as they come along. And just drive it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is a bit more my plan... I REALLY need to grab a monitor so I can start seeing what's going on with the truck.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
800-581-8986

I know I know Miley! I'm just torn! Stock 6.0, bulletproof a 6.0, suck it up and go to a higher mileage 6.7?

There is also the wild card that my dad has an 08 King Ranch Dually he never uses (43k miles) that I'm trying to convince him I need lol. I mean it's for the grand kids pop.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I am currently low budget shopping and also can't bring myself to 6.0/6.4 so do I spend a few grand and do turbo sticks hpop on my obs that isn't worth the invested $ and keep old reliable??? Or do I find a 200k 6.7 or duramax cuz that's maybe what I can swing the payments on

griz700rocket

Reaction score
I would look into a 6.7 otherwise you are just dumping money into something that you will never get it back out of. Crew cab XLT 6.7 are coming down pretty fast with the 17s being out now.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother studding a stock tuned truck honestly.

EGR ******, new oil cooler, monitor temps and just drive it. I wouldn't stud it unless it actually does push coolant and even when they do you can usually still drive them to where you need to go. I've known guys who have driven their trucks for a year or more with them pushing coolant without any other issues.

You bought this truck because it wasn't expensive. I say keep it, do a few relatively inexpensive mods and be on your way. Load a tow tune if you want something for hauling that camper. A few guys offer tow tunes that have stock engine parameters but tune the transmission.

sootie

Reaction score
get a CTS2, drive the thing and monitor parameters. Fix it as required. By the sounds of things it is a well maintained truck.

johnp115

Reaction score
Going to add in my input so you feel better about everyone else's comments... get a monitor, and just drive it!

For the most part, the major issues with a 6.0 won't leave you stranded. Blown gaskets can be driven on, leaking hpop system can be driven on, bad injectors can be driven on. Obviously you don't want to put 1000 miles on those things, but you won't necessarily be left on the side of the road needing to fix it asap

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Thanks for the pep talk Guys! Project cheap truck lives lol

Grabbing a CTS2 and EGR ****** asap.

With (2) able bodied semi competent people what kinda time does an EGR ****** take?

03_PSD

Reaction score
ScanGauge II works good to monitor the basics and it isn't as pricey as CTS2 if money is an issue.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I actually have a scanguage for my TDI that is headed back to the dealer next week, however when I plugged it didn't seem to pick up many PIDs. I assume it would need formula's programmed in it for many of the things I'm looking for?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I actually have a scanguage for my TDI that is headed back to the dealer next week, however when I plugged it didn't seem to pick up many PIDs. I assume it would need formula's programmed in it for many of the things I'm looking for?

You should check out the Polar FIS.

Latest posts

Members online