Death wobble!!! Need help!!!

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
I have a 1997 f250 4x4 lifted 4" on 35's and every time the front right wheel hits a bump the truck goes Into death wobble. Bad.

The truck also randomly does it above 60mph and has done it about 3 times between 30-45mph. This is on smooth, straight roads. It just got aligned last September when it got new tires. The tires are rotated every 3000 miles, they are balanced. It is NOT the tires being unbalanced, the truck is fine 99% of the time, but randomly it will wobble.

It did it twice in the last 15 minutes, once at 65mph on a smooth 10 lane highway, it was empty so I stuck my head out the window and saw the left front wheel changing direction and camber and bouncing uncontrollably. The other time I was doing 35mph and hit a man hole cover with the front right wheel and it did it so violently that the needles in the gauges hit both pegs. It has had ball joints, and the left side wheel bearing replaced within the last year. I think it is the right side wheel bearing failing. Is this correct? The truck is very dangerous. Please help. Thanks guys!

freddie

Reaction score
Make sure everything in the front end is tight, then have the alignment check - paying extra close attention to the caster.

78f100

Reaction score
On the ttb front end check everything with it jacked up off the frame allowing the suspension to hang. Something is loose, or the alignment is off. Odds are something is loose letting it move just enough to death wobble.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Thanks guys, after writing this last night I jacked up the from end and I think it's the left front wheel bearing. Not 100% sure, but that bearing is destroyed.

I'm gonna take it to firestone in the next week cause I have lifetime free alignments and they'll check my steering and ball joints when they align it.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Turns out in addition to the bad bearing, the right side TTB drop bracket had disintegrated and had only 1 bolt holding it in. The entire front end has now been rebuilt and it drives great!

Latest posts

Members online