Help with transmission issues

kingbilly68

Reaction score
Drove to work this morning. All was good. Clock out, start my truck and it won't move in any gear. It will roll in drive so it's not stuck in park. It did move a little in 4-low and 4-high. But it's stopped even doing that now. It don't make sense that the trans would just go out with no warning. Any help is appreciated.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
Bump for some help. I got it towed home. It will pull a little in 4low as soon as I start the truck then it just revs like it jumps out of gear?? Shut it off, start it up and it pulls again then stops. I really need this thing fixed.

golfer

Reaction score
range selector feels like it's clicking into each detent?

fluid level OK?

any recent service that may be relevant?

mandkole

Reaction score
For a sudden no go, I would definitely check the range selector on the trans. They can come unclipped. Is the OD light flashing? may want to try to pull codes as well.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
I'm gonna drain the fluid either today or tomorrow. I'll report back. It just doesn't make sense that it wouldn't give me any warning.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
For a sudden no go, I would definitely check the range selector on the trans. They can come unclipped. Is the OD light flashing? may want to try to pull codes as well.

No od light flash. It is shifting between gears. I drove it up my driveway last night in 4 low. Just had to do it 20 feet at a time.

joebuck

Reaction score
had this same thing happen not long ago,but mine wouldn't work in 4xanything,but it would go into gear(any and all) and would go 20-30' then just free rev like it was in neutral. turn it off restart, put it in gear move then free rev. long story short it was my TC took a **** and took my pump out with it and blocked flow so it wouldn't "hold in gear" not saying this is your exact problem but I had the same symptoms and that was my outcome, Just had the trans fully built last month so should be good to go now, oh and also no warning at all and no flashing OD light

kingbilly68

Reaction score
had this same thing happen not long ago,but mine wouldn't work in 4xanything,but it would go into gear(any and all) and would go 20-30' then just free rev like it was in neutral. turn it off restart, put it in gear move then free rev. long story short it was my TC took a **** and took my pump out with it and blocked flow so it wouldn't "hold in gear" not saying this is your exact problem but I had the same symptoms and that was my outcome, Just had the trans fully built last month so should be good to go now, oh and also no warning at all and no flashing OD light

Not what I want to hear. Thanks for the input though.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It don't make sense that the trans would just go out with no warning.
I know, they should give warning. Each transmission is given a lecture before it leaves the factory that if it's going to die that it MUST give the driver a two week notice so that they won't get stranded.

When a mechanical part breaks, which is what has happened to your transmission, it works one second and it's broken the next. Most of the time the trans works perfectly until the moment it doesn't work anymore.

No matter what the range sensor reads or doesn't read the trans will engage into gear. It may not shift out of first gear if there is a range sensor issue, but an unclipped range sensor CANNOT cause this.

I'm gonna drain the fluid either today or tomorrow.
The fluid almost certainly will look fine. If one or more clutches failed you'd have debris in the fluid, but then you'd have had a warning that the trans was failing. Failing clutches cause a lot of shift issues that are really hard to miss.

Yup never a good time,hope it works out to be something smaller for ya
It isn't. A hard part inside the trans broke. Nothing short of a rebuild, including replacing the broken parts, will get this trans working again.

The only thing I can think of that may be easy is if it leaked out most of the fluid.

kingbilly68

Reaction score
I know, they should give warning. Each transmission is given a lecture before it leaves the factory that if it's going to die that it MUST give the driver a two week notice so that they won't get stranded.

When a mechanical part breaks, which is what has happened to your transmission, it works one second and it's broken the next. Most of the time the trans works perfectly until the moment it doesn't work anymore.

No matter what the range sensor reads or doesn't read the trans will engage into gear. It may not shift out of first gear if there is a range sensor issue, but an unclipped range sensor CANNOT cause this.

The fluid almost certainly will look fine. If one or more clutches failed you'd have debris in the fluid, but then you'd have had a warning that the trans was failing. Failing clutches cause a lot of shift issues that are really hard to miss.

It isn't. A hard part inside the trans broke. Nothing short of a rebuild, including replacing the broken parts, will get this trans working again.

The only thing I can think of that may be easy is if it leaked out most of the fluid.

I trust your word on these transmissions. I just thought it was strange that it got me to work just fine and wouldn't move out of a parking spot when I got back in it. I'm gonna try to find a used tranny and t/c to get me by until I get this one rebuilt. What do I need to do to flush the coolers/lines?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The lines can be easily flushed with some solvent and compressed air. The only way to get a clean cooler is to scrap the ones you have and get new coolers.

Latest posts

Members online