Any Experience w/ 6.7 Aftermarket Exhaust Brakes?

farm boy

Reaction score
I have a 13' with a 17' turbo setup and would like to add on some type of exhaust brake.

Does anyone have any experience with the electronic modules that plug into the trucks wiring harness and use the factory turbo veins like the BD turbo or AFE kits?
https://afepower.com/afe-power-77-63002-brake-logic#applications
https://shop.fullforcediesel.com/bd-exhaust-brake-2001102

Or with an actual Exhaust Brake setup that mounts into the exhaust that's air operated like we used on the 7.3's? Would it work with a VGT style turbo?
https://cppdiesel.com/bd-diesel-1028050-exhaust-brake-universal-5-0-inch/

Thanks

Swaan

Reaction score
13s did not have vgt turbo.

I'd say get a custom tune to utilize that function.
The factory exhaust brake works really really good. You don't need to add one.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
When working correctly the OEM process using the VGT and trans shifting works great. It's not going to be a Jake Brake but it's going to work.

Black AOD

Reaction score
All 6.7's 2011-current have VGT turbos. However the exhaust brake function was not introduced until the GT37 turbo was introduced and updated in 2015.

sootie

Reaction score
in can be done on pre 15 trucks with tuning. Nothing to write home about though...

farm boy

Reaction score
Did the 13's not incorporate the vgt for exhaust braking?

No, that option came in 15+. 11-14 only has trans downshifting in Tow/Haul mode

in can be done on pre 15 trucks with tuning. Nothing to write home about though...

I rode in my neighbors 16' while pulling his stock trailer and the difference in his exhaust brake and trans down shifting was awesome compared to just my trans downshifting.
What other options do I have besides getting a newer truck? (Not gonna happen)

Who can/will write me some updated tunes for a d3leted truck? PM me if needed

ghohouston

Reaction score
I see. Thinking back, I do remember when my old boss got a 15 model, being surprised to see the exhaust brake. And I'm pretty sure all big 3 diesel pickups have had vgt's for at least the past 12 years

Swaan

Reaction score
My bad, I thought the 11-14 trucks only had wastegate turbos . I stand corrected. They are all vgt.

Should be able to activate or utilize that brake function through tuning like others have said.

sootie

Reaction score
My bad, I thought the 11-14 trucks only had wastegate turbos . I stand corrected. They are all vgt.

Should be able to activate or utilize that brake function through tuning like others have said.

Yes, all 6.7 turbos are vgt however; the 11-14 turbos cannot handle the shock of exhaust brake tuning. What the OP is referencing is 15+ style vgt on 11-14 model truck. THAT is doable with tuning.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yes, all 6.7 turbos are vgt however; the 11-14 turbos cannot handle the shock of exhaust brake tuning. What the OP is referencing is 15+ style vgt on 11-14 model truck. THAT is doable with tuning.

and it can be extremely effective. the only down side is you don't have a switch to "turn it off" so to speak.

farm boy

Reaction score
Little update on my new tunes with the added Exhaust Braking.

I went with a Canadian Company that was recommended to me. Took them about 4 or 5 revisions to get the truck to run correctly but it was worth it.

Braking is on all the time but its not annoying like I thought it would be when not towing. Maybe because my truck is big & heavy so the additional stopping is nice.

Towing with the Tow/Haul mode on, it works even better! I've noticed I run my trailer brake controller way lower than I used to on all my normal loads that I pull.

Definitely worth the money to upgrade to new tunes with this feature as I couldn't get a hold of my old tuner.

Thanks for yall's help!

Latest posts

Members online