S369 SX-E for 250/200s?

trevdalocal

Reaction score
In the process of installing an efuel system from Strictly, and had a wonderful time taking out the stock turbo. Decided I don't want to deal with putting all that back, or taking it out when I eventually go T4, so I'm doing it now. The kit from IDP looks pretty nice, and Jake was helpful when I called. Just wanted a second opinion from the masses.

96 CCLB 4x4, ZF5, 4.10, 35" tires. AFE intake, 4" Magnaflow, T500 HPOP, DP F5 tunes, soon Strictly efuel and RR with the SD Bosch pump. Right now it's just a daily driver/fun truck, but in the future, it will probably get a slide in camper or pull a toy hauler, and we may be moving to CO. Don't plan on competing on the dyno or track. Bought a set of PIS 250/200s from a member here. Don't plan on putting the injectors in right away, going to save up for studs, pushrods, springs, gauges, a Hydra and tunes, then do everything at once. I figure I can drive it with the T4 kit on stock injectors and the DP F5 for now.

Now, knowing that, do you think the 369 SX-E w/0.91 AR would be a decent match for what I'm trying to do, or too much turbo and not enough spool down low? Also, how are the IDP plenums? The price is attractive, but the RiffRaff billets look nice too, the o-ring is a nice touch.

Thanks!

dsberman94

Reaction score
That’s going to be Smokey on the bottom end of the rpm range especially with that manual trans. I have 250/200 and a 369 in my SD with 4r100 and its Smoky. It’s fun, once the turbo lights it’ll set you back in the seat but without the torque converter being unlocked or a downshift it’ll black out the road.

And I can’t comment on the stock injector question or the plenums. I bought plenums from irate when I ordered the turbo kit. Simple but effective.

jbolen323

Reaction score
You will hate life with a zf5 and those injectors mixed in with a s369

You will hate your life even MORE if you move to CO and have elevation, that setup can eject a rod out and hurt your motor at any given time.

you should really just throw on some small 205cc/30% small hybrids and a s366 turbo or even a s364.5 and also go into a hydra for open source tuning, you will need a lot of tweaks im sure.

Its just going to be smokey until that turbo lights, its all or nothing and not suited for any type of hauling or weight in my opinion

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
That is gonna be pretty laggy/smokey... really fun once you get the turbo spooled but by the time you get the turbo semi-spooled and starting to clean up the smoke it will be time to shift again. You lose a lot of boost with a stick and will repeat the process in every gear.

I would go smaller on the turbo/injectors and you will enjoy the truck a lot more.

238/80 or 205/30 with s364.5/73/.91

trevdalocal

Reaction score
Okay haha I'm getting the message that the 369 is way too big. Maybe Irate misheard me when I was explaining the truck and goals. I definitely prefer the turbo come on early at the sacrifice of some top end, rather than have a light switch turbo that blows the tires off right before I need to shift.

So ideal turbo, 364.5 SXE? Will a good tuner be able to dial the sticks down to a point where they behave decently? I was originally thinking of 238/80s, but these came up for a good price. If I have it dialed down to where it runs clean on a 364.5, will I even need studs/springs/pushrods? I will definitely be getting a Hydra and tunes, the DP came with the truck.

Thanks for the replies so far!

97stoker350

Reaction score
I dont think the consensus here is all that accurate... those injectors CAN be tuned for whatever you need them to do. My truck with a zf5, 37s and 3.55s with a 467 CAN be very clean and can be everything these guys are saying. I would also trust irate to steer you in the right direction. Having said that, I doubt the 369 will be a turbo that lights much before 1800rpm

I've always ran swamps for tunes however they recently changed owners... I would look at jelibuilt tuning if I were building a 7.3 right now.

Last edited:

Petro

Reaction score
I dont think the consensus here is all that accurate... those injectors CAN be tuned for whatever you need them to do. My truck with a zf5, 37s and 3.55s with a 467 CAN be very clean and can be everything these guys are saying. I would also trust irate to steer you in the right direction. Having said that, I doubt the 369 will be a turbo that lights much before 1800rpm

I've always ran swamps for tunes however they recently changed owners... I would look at jelibuilt tuning if I were building a 7.3 right now.

^^^ This.

Zeb

Reaction score
You will hate life with a zf5 and those injectors mixed in with a s369

You will hate your life even MORE if you move to CO and have elevation, that setup can eject a rod out and hurt your motor at any given time.

you should really just throw on some small 205cc/30% small hybrids and a s366 turbo or even a s364.5 and also go into a hydra for open source tuning, you will need a lot of tweaks im sure.

Its just going to be smokey until that turbo lights, its all or nothing and not suited for any type of hauling or weight in my opinion

That is gonna be pretty laggy/smokey... really fun once you get the turbo spooled but by the time you get the turbo semi-spooled and starting to clean up the smoke it will be time to shift again. You lose a lot of boost with a stick and will repeat the process in every gear.

I would go smaller on the turbo/injectors and you will enjoy the truck a lot more.

238/80 or 205/30 with s364.5/73/.91

These guys have run more different tuner, injector and turbo combinations, on the dyno, daily driving, towing, and at high elevation, than anyone else on here.
I would pay attention to what they are saying!!!

97stoker350

Reaction score
Than ANYONE? That's an untrue statement chief. Swamps, Irate, Brian jelich, Charles, would also not agree with that statement.

Are they right about a smaller injector being better for what he wants? Maybe. But those sticks will work and work well for a wide variety of goals

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
Than ANYONE? That's an untrue statement chief. Swamps, Irate, Brian jelich, Charles, would also not agree with that statement.

Are they right about a smaller injector being better for what he wants? Maybe. But those sticks will work and work well for a wide variety of goals

Let me clarify. Any one that has posted on this forum in the last number of years, and anyone that has posted in this thread.

Last edited:

97stoker350

Reaction score
I can agree with that. This site definitely doesnt get the traffic it used to.

OP, the site is a gold mine of information. Best thing you can do is read, then read some more

trevdalocal

Reaction score
Okay, based on all the old thread I've searched and read, I've decided on a 366 SXE, 0.91 AR. Should be responsive enough that I'm not blacking out the street on every shift, but big enough to do the injectors some justice. Admittedly, the injectors may be a bit large for my application, but I am putting my faith and patience in a good tuner (Jelibuilt, maybe ********) to be able to tame them and keep my rods in the block.

I have a single Bosch pump, and I know I will need another to keep the fuel pressure up on hot tunes with these injectors, but I know I will need to eliminate the selector valve and run a bigger pickup tube. I will be installing a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on things. How are people dealing with the loss of the selector valve? Transfer pump?

I'm wondering if I can get away with a single pump, and no springs/pushrods/studs if I ask the tuner to keep the power down, until I save up to add another pump and stud/spring/rod the heads? Is that doable through tuning?

Also, the truck has what I believe is a RiffRaff HPX hardline, will that fit with the Irate T4 kit, or is it even necessary with a T500? I've read that it doesn't do much if you have an upgraded pump.

Thanks again for all of the advice, this forum is great. I hope I will eventually be able to contribute a fraction as much as I've learned!

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I put a 5/8” pickup tube in my front tank. Then I put in a small transfer pump to pump fuel from the rear to the front when I flip the switch to the rear tank.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Riffraff HPX will not work with irate t4 kit. Cnc fab does work. Not necessary but does help the engine run smoother. I went years without a high pressure cross line and I finally put one on in the spring and saw a huge difference in idle.
I have a set of smith bro’s push rods I bought and never used still in original packaging id be willing to part with. PM me if you’re interested.

Last edited:

trevdalocal

Reaction score
I put a 5/8” pickup tube in my front tank. Then I put in a small transfer pump to pump fuel from the rear to the front when I flip the switch to the rear tank.
Awesome, I'm guessing you have the transfer pump wired to the existing selector valve wiring? Do you fill through the original pickup tube on the front tank?

Riffraff HPX will not work with irate t4 kit. Cnc fab does work. Not necessary but does help the engine run smoother. I went years without a high pressure cross line and I finally put one on in the spring and saw a huge difference in idle.
I have a set of smith bro’s push rods I bought and never used still in original packaging id be willing to part with. PM me if you’re interested.
Damn, that's too bad, this Riffraff piece is nice. I'm thinking of just plugging them, I can always add the CNC Fab line later. Anyone know the part number for the OEM plugs, or have a pair to sell? PM coming your way!

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Yes. I put a relay in. I use the stock fuel supply/return line for the transfer

Latest posts

Members online