6.4 powerstroke short crank no start

emanmx11

Reaction score
So the 6.4 had a bedplate oil leak. We pulled the cab, and while we had the motor out and apart, we freshened it all up with a new low pressure oil pump, new bearings, push rods, lifters, rocker arms, etc etc. We got the cab back on and everything patched up, purged the fuel system etc. We installed an egr delete and 4in exhaust with dpf delete, so we re tuned the truck with an egr/dpf delete tune. Now for the problem. When you turn the key on and try to crank the motor, the starter will run for about a second or two, then stop before the engine has a chance to start. It does this everytime you turn the key, only turning over for a brief second then cutting off. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Im hoping its a simple fix, this truck is a problem child. Any help would be great!

webb06

Reaction score
Try using the wire under the hood to start it. Leave the key in the on position and then jump that wire to the positive battery terminal.

If you don't know what wire I can do my best to describe it but I don't have a picture

webb06

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377225281.491948.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377225295.191109.jpg

This wire. Found these on another thread

emanmx11

Reaction score
Ok I disconnected the line and did as you said, and sure enough itll crank as long as want it too, but still will not start. Now that ive determined its not a starter issue, any ideas on why it will only short crank with the key? Could this be an electrical or computer problem? Thanks for the help webb06!

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Do you have all the cables that go to the battery reattached, the three harnesses at the driverside fender reconnected, the computer cables reconnected? I would retrace all your steps and make sure you covered all your bases.

Dalton_H

Reaction score
Theres a nut on the passenger side battery negative cable on that stud that has nothing going to it and looks like it could have had. I havent been able to find any loose connections or cables that look like it could go there though. I also put a new crank sensor in it when i had the motor out and missed plugging it back in before we started trying to start it. It is plugged in now though and no dtcs. Any more ideas or know if theres a ground im missing on that passenger battery?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Theres a nut on the passenger side battery negative cable on that stud that has nothing going to it and looks like it could have had. I havent been able to find any loose connections or cables that look like it could go there though. I also put a new crank sensor in it when i had the motor out and missed plugging it back in before we started trying to start it. It is plugged in now though and no dtcs. Any more ideas or know if theres a ground im missing on that passenger battery?

It may not light up a CEL but if the CPS was unhooked and your tried to start it there is a code stored, try clearing it out even if it doesn't show there to be one on the device your using try restarting it.

emanmx11

Reaction score
update. Hooked the code reader up to it, and it read codes for egt sensors, manifold pressure, and CPS. I cleared all the codes, and since we do not have the egt sensors plugged in i retuned the truck with the SCT for EGT sensors "off". Went to start the truck and it continues to do the same thing, cranking over for a second and a half or so, then stopping. Any ideas?

08 diesel

Reaction score
Did u figure it out? i had a similar issue after cab removal/install. ended up unplugging ecm plugs blowing them out and reinstalling and all was well.

Latest posts