05 Excursion 6.0 4WD Driveshaft Rebuild

robby830

Reaction score
Hi, I was experiencing a severe vibration while accelerating that came out of nowhere. Felt like the whole driveline was going to fall off the truck. I checked the driveshafts and felt some play where it connects to transmission in the rear. When I took it off, the play was actually coming from the CV ball. There’s damage around the slot where the spring goes and around the cv ball around. Would there be any issues if it was put back together this way or is it best to get a new driveshaft and be done with it?

612feee79427c136459309b1b97865d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Do not run that. Get a driveline shop to cut the yoke off and replace it and balance the shaft. No need to replace the shaft

robby830

Reaction score
Do not run that. Get a driveline shop to cut the yoke off and replace it and balance the shaft. No need to replace the shaft

I was quoted more to repair than to replace from local driveshaft shop, but that’s without them knowing the damage to the double cardan.

Which part are you saying can be cut? The part of the yoke where the CV ball goes into?

When you say the shaft doesn’t need to be replaced, does that include the part the spring goes into?

sootie

Reaction score
You may be able to just get the whole double cardan replaced. Depends how bad the wear is if you need to cut the ends off or not. Should be less than 200 for a full rebuild and balance.

robby830

Reaction score
You may be able to just get the whole double cardan replaced. Depends how bad the wear is if you need to cut the ends off or not. Should be less than 200 for a full rebuild and balance.

I was quoted close to $800 for rebuild lol

Replacing the double cardan is fine. I’m just concerned about the piece built into the actual driveshaft where the spring drops in and the cv ball flange goes into.

6_Riders

Reaction score
I was quoted close to $800 for rebuild lol

Replacing the double cardan is fine. I’m just concerned about the piece built into the actual driveshaft where the spring drops in and the cv ball flange goes into.

That all gets replaced when they cut the end of the shaft off and weld on the new joint.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Get a new drive shaft. It may still available from ford. It would be $500++ to rebuild in my experience and have regretted every time I tried it.

robby830

Reaction score
So I replaced the rear driveshaft and still experiencing the same issue. Here is a video of what it’s doing when it gets past 35 mph. Any help would be truly appreciated! Not sure where to go from here aside from a shop.

https://youtu.be/CvRMTG7tVe4

6_Riders

Reaction score
So I replaced the rear driveshaft and still experiencing the same issue. Here is a video of what it’s doing when it gets past 35 mph. Any help would be truly appreciated! Not sure where to go from here aside from a shop.

https://youtu.be/CvRMTG7tVe4

Damn. That really sounds like a fueling issue.
Could be a tire, of course it could be anything to do with suspension, including bad bearings.

robby830

Reaction score
If I accelerate faster it doesn’t do it. It’s only when driving normal. Happens when decelerating at that speed as well. Not sure if that helps any.

robby830

Reaction score
Damn. That really sounds like a fueling issue.
Could be a tire, of course it could be anything to do with suspension, including bad bearings.

Any suggestions on how to determine if it’s a fueling issue? Vibration/shake is only while driving. Idles with no issues.

sootie

Reaction score
Put it in neutral when it occurs and see if it goes away

robby830

Reaction score
Juts tried it and it still shook after I put it in neutral until it came to a stop.

robby830

Reaction score
So I replaced a tire that I thought was bad and took it for a test drive. Still shook approaching 35mph and actually lost gears and cruised to a stop. Checked under and saw the transfer case hanging down. I broke down earlier in the year due to output shaft cracking and separating, but didn’t have the symptoms I did now. It just happened out of nowhere. I couldn’t get a closer look without my jack to go under, but my guess is it’s the same thing. If so, what would keep causing this? From the pick I attached, you can see a loose bolt and possibly the case cracked but not certain.

cd10cf1dc33d65ad05f94b41bfc4eb2e.jpg

Latest posts

Members online