2002 7.3 Oil Temp?

Reaction score
Have had this truck for little over a year now and it has the Edge CTS in it for the gauges only, no program. Motor is stock with the exception of the exhaust and filter. On a 80 to 85 degree day, normal driving, running empty, the oil temp according to this Edge, will sit any where between 208 to 215 but cool off pretty quick when stopped at red lights, or putting through town. Pulled my 16' trailer with a couple thousand pounds of lumber (estimated weight, building a pool deck) and the temp stays the same as if I didn't have the trailer. Are these normal temps for this auto truck? It is the crew cab Lariat, 4x4, 33" tires. During all this the coolant temp stays normal and tranny temp at it's highest has only been 180. Thanks!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm not mad at that. Oil always should run hotter when OP temp is reached

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I'd be happy with that. Around town I'm around 210* as well, but towing my heavy toy hauler through the grades I see an average of 230*, and up to 287* one time before I found some underlying issues and had them fixed.

Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a better oil cooler for the 7.3"s? I would think lower temps if possible would help the life span of the oil, which would help the motor as well? Just a thought on the long drive's home everyday.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
No the HPOP uses the oil to drive the injectors, essentially turning it into a hydraulic oil, which means the oil is not only used for lubrication, and heat dissipation, but also as a hydraulic oil, which will wear it out faster.

Supposedly... and idk what's the deal with it, or when it's coming out or anything, but DieselSite is making a remote oil cooler to replace the factory one with a 6.0 style cooler, suppose to be much more effective and easier to service.

CSD also makes a remote oil cooler kit, but its air to oil, not a heat exchanger.

Last edited:

19.5s

Reaction score
For reference, my truck weighs 13,780 lbs with cargo, has 4.88 gears and runs 210 degrees on the interstate at 3k rpm 80mph. uphill or downhill does not matter unless I am on the throttle harder than need be.

I have noticed that EOT is linear with the rpms of the engine. EGT's however seem to be linear to how far you press the pedal and how fast.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I have noticed that as well. As RPMs go up, EOT does as well. Now I have also noticed that 180* EOT will have less EGTs, but 230* EOT will have higher EGTs, which makes sense in the fact that there is all-around more heat in the engine with the EOT being higher.

Latest posts

Members online