How much hp and torque with straight pipe, k&n filter, and a tuner

01cummins96psd

Reaction score
I have a 96 f250 all stock and i want more power i was thinking about straight piping it with k&n plus a tuner
Does anyone know how much hp and torque ill have after these mods and if theres any other weak parts that need replacing before i add more power
Thx

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Skip the k&n filter, not very good for diesle/turbo trucks due to letting particles through. Stock OBS trucks run about 235 hp, and depending on tuner/tunes there is only so much hp the truck will make. Mostly due to the mechanical pump, 15* hpop. You will notice the power difference with the tuner but depending on how you drive those two can be the weakest point when making power.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
On my 95 I had a beans d66, 6637, 4" turbo back straight piped, terminator t500, and a ts6 with canned tunes and it did pretty good. I couldn't tell you what hp I was making but I had the canned "extreme" tune which was "supposed" to add about 140 hp over stock. By that math that should be 350+ hp, not sure if I was making that much though.

bhudson

Reaction score
Get a '16. They are blowing those things off the lot right now since the '17s are on the way. Bone stock you'll have 440hp/860tq

Reaction score
I'll pass.

I have: No payments, no smog, no E G R, no D P F, no complexity.

Parts are plentiful and affordable. I have all the tools and technology to fix almost everything my self.

The cost of operation is low. The fuel mileage is comparable to better.

01cummins96psd

Reaction score
Another question
I want a smoother ride out of the truck
I was thinking coils in the front airbags in the rear with bilstein shocks would this be any better
Does anybody have other suggestions maybe just get rid of straight axles?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Rock stock Federal trucks make about 175hp at the rears, with chip, exhaust and intake, around 225hp.

Pretty close here. I would say you could squeeze about 240-250HP to the rear wheels with good custom tunes on an OBS. Later model SD trucks push around 300HP to the wheels with good tunes, but they have larger injectors (among other things).

Also, another vote for passing on the K&N setup. Go with an S&B kit... https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...7-f250-f350/s-b-intake-for-94-97-75-5027.html

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have a 96 f250 all stock and i want more power i was thinking about straight piping it with k&n plus a tuner
Does anyone know how much hp and torque ill have after these mods and if theres any other weak parts that need replacing before i add more power
Thx

Back in the day......US Gear Chip, straight-piped and K&N filter....made 225HP to the wheels. Stock injectors (90cc) will only give so much fuel. I don't care who's tunes you get, the injectors will only flow 90cc of fuel. <---- This applies to a Federal emission truck. A Cali-emission truck has slightly bigger injectors and could squeeze out another 15HP-25HP.

Another question
I want a smoother ride out of the truck
I was thinking coils in the front airbags in the rear with bilstein shocks would this be any better
Does anybody have other suggestions maybe just get rid of straight axles?

I have both a '97 and '16. My OBS has a reverse shackle w/ SD springs and Fox 2.0 shocks. The ride is a toss up between the '16 and '97. One day I like the '97 ride and another day I like the '16. Where the '16 shines, is the comfort, refinement, and the quietness. What do you expect, almost a 20 year difference.

I was running Bilsteins 5150s then installed Fox 2.0s.....huge difference. Do a search on a RSK, wealth of info here. Also, search for my write up on the Fox shock install.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
Rsk here as well, I went with x code springs and skyjacker m95s and the ride is night and day better than stock and I think it rides better on dirt roads and off road than the 2011 duramax 3500 at work but on pavement the new trucks win hands down. Sounds like fox 2.0s might be in my future if my motors not toasted

old man dave

Reaction score
Get a '16. They are blowing those things off the lot right now since the '17s are on the way. Bone stock you'll have 440hp/860tq

That would be at the flywheel, that's about 350-375 hp at the rears figuring the usual 15-20% loss through the powertrain.

Latest posts

Members online