Interior color change. Need help

Wayne

Reaction score
I'm trying to finish my '08 excursion project, and am 99% sure I'll be converting the tan leather '03 ex interior, and tan (xlt for now) dash all to black. I've got the head liner under control, by just ordering new padded black fabric identical to OE, and seats will be katzkin black leather unless anybody needs to talk me out of it. Do any of you have good or even bad experience with any particular products to dye seat belts and carpet with? how about all the plastic interior panels? I'm not so concerned with the procedure as I am with getting the best possible product at a reasonable price. Also, I don't believe I've ever seen a black factory interior on an excursion. If this is the case, I just might be ordering some new pieces instead of trying to color swap; at least the ones that will see the most wear. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
wayne

when ive done my stuff in the past:

Katzkin leather you will not be disappointed, I love how the red truck interior came out.

as far as dying the seatbelts and carpet I looked hard into it, with the seatbelts one thing I found was companies would warn against dying seatbelts because it would deteriorate the fabric in the seatbelts and could cause them to fail. on the red truck I bit the bullet and bought for black seat belts (not cheap) if you search online you can find a couple companies that will re make your existing seat belts in the color of your choice, I believe there was a company in Texas that was doing it for old cars, that was going to be the plan on my excursion. As for the carpet, I dyed the carpet in the excursion with color bond carpet dye, it worked well, but its a timely process and take much more then you think it will. we sprayed the carpet, brushed it in, and repeat about 15 times. and the plastics, same thing color bond. That was the product I used in the red truck and 4 years later it still hold up great.

prep is key with everything as im sure you are well aware

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. 15 times?!? Dang. Does it get crusty feeling, or the same as original? Do you have contact info for the seat belt people? I'd like to do it right. The color bond stuff is advertised as translucent refresher, and not to change color, so 15 times makes sense I guess. I'm glad to know the panel spray is holding up well. Odds are I'll go that route on most pieces.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. 15 times?!? Dang. Does it get crusty feeling, or the same as original? Do you have contact info for the seat belt people? I'd like to do it right. The color bond stuff is advertised as translucent refresher, and not to change color, so 15 times makes sense I guess. I'm glad to know the panel spray is holding up well. Odds are I'll go that route on most pieces.

I tried looking around last night but only quickly, let me see if I can track it down today. and honestly it was crusty, and after you vacuum it is softens a little, but no where near original.

Wayne

Reaction score
http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

Here's the place I was directed. Sent them an email, and hope they can get me fixed up. Is this who you were thinking of Mark?

Also, I found these guys for carpet dye:

http://americolordyes.com/

I explained what I had, and wanted to do. They said it should work perfectly, and the texture as well as color adhesion should be comparable to new. for $60 shipped for everything I need, it's worth a shot.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I think the truck belts will interchange with the excursion ones. Might be able to get the black truck belts and have less to deal with on dying.

Latest posts

Members online