700 hp goal build

cbf9703

Reaction score
nope. still not assembled either. I think I have every piece sitting here now. just have to make the time and ignore some of the 'honey do list' until it runs. I was going to procrastinate but I figure I can do that later.

its a hard choice, as the 7.3 made more power then I could use before it blew up...but
... to add them later gets very pricey. $500 fire ring gasket kit etc

swamps quoted me a price that was very reasonable for the work (I think I paid a local shop more for a stock rebuild on my heads so I should have just used swamps), but the shipping cores across the border etc adds up fast.

I keep bouncing back and forth between using what I have and spending the $$

Just my .02, but when it comes to porting, machine work and some of those things... I'll spend the money on shipping to go with someone I can trust. There are too many horror stories with local machine shops. Before Swamps got their 5-axis, they used a couple different machine shops for some of their local work and would still have trouble and have to send things back. I like knowing that a company with that kind of reputation is going to stand behind their product and not just leave me hanging. Those machine shops aren't always willing to work as well with someone if things don't come out perfect when they know you aren't going to be a repeat customer.
I agree, which is why I gleam the forums for any info on headwork and who is doing it.
I keep coming back to swamps being the safest place to send my $$.
Pierce looks to have the best result
Swamps worked with Mondello racing for their head porting, although some of that is probably because they were local and spending a week with them was easy. We all know guys in the business don't necessarily like to share what works for them if it's for the same platform and you're going to be competition.

I've seen the numbers from their flow and dyno testing. I always liked the fact they actually did the research and compared setups with different fuel and air combos to see if it really made a difference across the board. We've all seen those magical trucks that worked perfectly for that exact setup, but if you don't replicate everything ( and sometimes even then) you never get where they are.
Swamps didn't do Pierce's heads. He claimed that his were ported more than any head swamps had ever done.
That's probably true. Swamps ported all the way through to passages and then backed off from there. Johnny did all of the original porting by hand for the testing, so his style was probably different than someone else.

AFAIK with their testing more porting (beyond what they market for customers as a safe level, even with bigger valves) did not necessarily make more power (or a significant enough difference to justify the work and cost) on the top end when they tested on the engine dyno, just increased power and pressure where we really don't need it. CFM was important, but so was swirl.
Yeah tuning was a key player but it did end up throwing a rod so yeah it was a little too much for the stock bottom end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It happens. Been there, done that. LOL

Not to say anything about any specific person's truck, I've just gotten to the point where I want to see a setup proven over a period of time before I'll agree that it really works.

Making power is not necessarily the problem, it's keeping the truck together at that power level. What's impressive to me is when you've got something where you can do both reasonably well.

I've seen a low 12/high 11s truck make over 300 documented passes on a stock bottom end and without a freshening up. I guess I'm getting old, but in a lot of ways that impresses me more than somebody who runs mid-to-low 11s and can't keep it together for one season, but they've got a great new setup that no one else has thought of.

I'm all about going fast. I love to see the way guys are pushing it these days, both on full trim trucks and gutted dedicated racers. I remember how excited I was to see Scheid's rail do sub 7 Seconds the first time that happened. I want to see the sport progressing and look at where we are now a few years later, but I think we need to look at longevity of setups as well. Who wants to go NHRA style of rebuilding the motor after every pass? I'm not that dedicated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how long to break this motor in? I'm going to be cutting it close (2-3 weeks) between getting the truck back and when it's scheduled to have ported heads installed and live tuned.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
To break the motor in your want to get it hot and pull it hard to seat the rings. I would suggest hook it to a heavy trailer and pull it around. Driving it kinda hard everywhere you go will help too

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I ran a tow tune when I pulled a trailer. I mean you can still run the tunes like normal. You don't want to see any crazy egts or anything like that but driving it a little rougher then usual will help

TyCorr

Reaction score
I ran a tow tune when I pulled a trailer. I mean you can still run the tunes like normal. You don't want to see any crazy egts or anything like that but driving it a little rougher then usual will help

Rolling burnouts with a trailer?

powerjoke73

Reaction score
What has everyone done for drag racing their truck? Air down the tires some, take off the tailgate, take out a leveling kit etc.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Worry about that when you get the truck together, running, and tuned like you want.

emev0l

Reaction score
What has everyone done for drag racing their truck? Air down the tires some, take off the tailgate, take out a leveling kit etc.

Run it just like you do on the street, see how it does, pull the tailgate, see how it does, every time you change things or try to launch at higher boost see if it ran faster. Half the fun playing with it on a test and tune day.

Whatever you do to lighten it up will help, just don't expect a 1/10th out of taking your tailgate off lol

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Build got bumped back about a month a half due to some lack of communication. Finally got everything squared away with the machine shop, Buckingham Performance, and the body shop.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Found out that everything was finished up at the machine shop today. Also found out I'm getting a full port job from Jonathan instead of just a "Stage 1." Hoping that now I can meet my goal of 700 to the wheels or being pretty close.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Got my stuff back from the machine shop finally but for some reason it wont let me post pictures? Keeps saying that the picture is not a valid image file. I have tried JPEG and PNG.

powerjoke73

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online