Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

superpsd

Reaction score
Looks like this thread still has a little life to it. With the weather dipping down in the 20° range I have been playing with Minotaur again. My daily tune had some draw backs a touchy pedal due to a steep ICP slope and loud as **** with the 200% nozzles and aggressive timing. The stock tune is more friendly to drive and is much quieter almost to that of a gasser. So I have been starting from scratch and making changes as I go.

superpsd

Reaction score
Yeah it's my main tune but sometimes in Stop and go traffic and rowing around town it's nice to have a quieter smooth driving tune. I set the tunes back to back on the hydra so I can toggle back and forth as needed. Still idles the same.

Last edited:

truckpullin_75

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand this. I have a Hydra with GH tunes now. So for example, if I get 4 tunes from say DP tuner (different format) and burn them to the Hydra, I know my truck will stumble from the GH tune to the first DP tune, but once I'm in the DP tunes will the truck switch between the DP tunes themselves and continue to run/Switch in & out without interruption?

Dp tunes wont work on a hydra.

As long as all of the tunes on the Hydra are the same file size and same hex code there will be no issue switching between different tuners. If there is a slight difference between them, once you're in the "group" of tunes that are different it will switch between them without issue.

DP tunes would in theory work on a Hydra, DP just won't send them with the correct encryption. They would sell a lot more tunes if they would allow their tunes on other platforms, just like they would sell more chips if they allowed other tuners' tunes on their hardware.

superpsd

Reaction score
One issue I was having with the tune I was running daily is not getting the 369 to spool. You will hear the bypass rip open and then you hear the turbo whistle once spooled. After installing the 369 with the 1.0 it would not spool as in the video I posted in my thread that was mostly just the blower as manifold pressure was no more than 10 psi. With the stock timing map you put your foot down and the turbo screams out the bypass. Push the button for the other tune with aggressive timing and no scream under heavy pedal conditions. I am still working on the tuning but too much timing in my case was detrimental to spooling the turbo. I carried my PW map over to a stock calibration and made slight ICP increases up top and engine has a little less off the line but pulls harder once the turbo is lighting off. Took on an ecoboost the other night and stayed right in front of him. Not super powerful but definitely not weak. I need to finish up the fuel system to support more volume.

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
As long as all of the tunes on the Hydra are the same file size and same hex code there will be no issue switching between different tuners. If there is a slight difference between them, once you're in the "group" of tunes that are different it will switch between them without issue.

DP tunes would in theory work on a Hydra, DP just won't send them with the correct encryption. They would sell a lot more tunes if they would allow their tunes on other platforms, just like they would sell more chips if they allowed other tuners' tunes on their hardware.
Good Info, thank you.

superpsd

Reaction score
Tuning thread has been quiet. I was bored and got to scratching my head on how low you could adjust the idle with larger nozzles and keep it semi stable. I could proably tweak it to improve stability as I only took a few minutes of time to make the adjustments. Basically I just set the idle speed target at 400 and adjusted ICP to rein in the lope.
https://youtu.be/G4bf4y4sJ7g

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
I had finished some repair work on the old mule. So I was playing around with the low idle tuning and shot a walk-around video. The engine had been idling for about 10 minutes and it was about 40°. I shall call it the "Tractor Tune"
https://youtu.be/e_xCe2caUY4

DoubleL

Reaction score
In your first video, what software is displaying those gauges and is there even more options to monitor and can you record the data to a file for later viewing? hah, so many questions

m j

Reaction score
In your first video, what software is displaying those gauges and is there even more options to monitor and can you record the data to a file for later viewing? hah, so many questions

looks like TorqueApp on a phone or tablet, and yes it will datalog. I have it dump in CSV format to Excel for graphing

dsberman94

Reaction score
I had finished some repair work on the old mule. So I was playing around with the low idle tuning and shot a walk-around video. The engine had been idling for about 10 minutes and it was about 40°.

That honestly sounds painful to the engine. Just my opinion though.

DoubleL

Reaction score
how many samples per second does it log? Can it log all things you want like icp, duty cycle, pw, manifold gauge pressure, rpm, speed? I need something to data log my drag racing runs.

m j

Reaction score
I dunno. yes. it can monitor everything the PCM reads. it is sort of open sourced so some applications have better coverage if a user group has put in the time to fine tune the formulas

superpsd

Reaction score
That honestly sounds painful to the engine. Just my opinion though.

I don't see how it can hurt anything running like that for a short amount of time. I barely use it but it has been usefully a drive thru tune as its about half as loud as a standard idle.

Chris2590

Reaction score
That sounds good man. There's a little bit of a lope but not much for idling at that low rpm.
Do you really have a supercharged 7.3?!
Any pictures of the engine bay lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles

Reaction score
Wanted to report, still running 300/200's with stock PMR and stock Trans. Tows like an animal....

Stock single fuel pump seems to be laying down on top but I don't have gauges and I don't care. I would say it drives like stock, but then stock injectors can't lug like this.... too damn slow...

Chris2590

Reaction score
That's risky lol
It's not expensive/hard to run a line with a dummy gauge on it into cab to see how much fuel psi your dropping and a lot better then injector damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online