Aftermarket transmission pans 5r110

Zmann

Reaction score
to clarify I am not pushing in either direction

just merely inputting info to keep the pro and con weighted evenly LOL

imo the only reason a deep pan would be beneficial to me is if the pickup tube was lowered and I have not found one MFG who does this on a 5r

mohead1

Reaction score
Wonder why wudnt they extend the pickup....i have a deep oil pan on my hot rod, w extended pickup.....but.....different application, its to keep oil in the pump no matter wat antics are goin on

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
I wonder also

I even called and emailed the companies i could find B&M had a longer tube for my Turbo 350 but they do not for the Fords

I have a derale deep pan in the garage and no extension

mag hy tec said the same

Jonnydime

Reaction score
The reason there is not a longer tube is that the filter is already at the bottom of the pan. Below is a pic of a 5r110(external filter) mag hytec pan that I converted to a 5r110w(internal filter). As you can see I had to clearance the front of the pan to fit the larger filter. I also had to cut the stands that would have held the shorter pickup of the older style trans. As it sits right now the filter is about a half inch off the bottom. The extra capacity come from the fact that the pan is square and bulky and not contoured to wrap around the filter like a stock pan.
Photo0039_zpszxjncdtc.jpg

Last edited:

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Here is a pic I stole off google. The aftermarket pan is only an inch deeper than the factory pan. Now take into consideration that the aftermarket pan is aluminum(thicker to begin with) and has cooling fins molded into the outside as well as some sort of slosh control on the inside of the pan. The extra capacity comes from the sheer bulk of the pan.
9973_cf_stock_dims_lg_zpsnmus7m9d.jpg

mohead1

Reaction score
Well, except for a potential overdrive unit, this would be the last mod to the truck. And no one has shown evidence that it accomplishes anything except adding several extra quarts of fluid.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
Thanks Jonnny dime I know my deep derale pan has inserts for the various 4R/5R/5W
pans and they don't stand off the bottom very far
NADP offers a deep pan and an extra deep pan I wonder whats the story there ?

the only other pro to a deep pan I recall have seen advertised is the cast units
claim to add to the overall case stiffness
( does the case need structural help?)

Zmann

Reaction score
I know it seems like a stretch lol

GM used to have a sheet metal half moon cover over their torque converter
on some transmissions later they made them out of cast to " stiffen up the transmission

ATS Deep Pans add more fluid capacity to your transmission to help keep it cool! Heat is the number one enemy of a transmission and the cooler it runs, the longer it lasts!

MAG-HYTEC'S heavy duty transmission pans provide increased lubricant and cooling capacity

SPC

The rigid boxed aluminum section of the pan increases rigidity in the transmission case for smoother and more reliable operation.

Derale = ( only sheet-metal pan in the list )

Transmission Cooling Pan uses air passing beneath the vehicle and redirects it to help lower transmission oil temperatures. Designed for Ford's E4OD, 4R100 and later 5R110 & 5R110W heavy duty transmissions, this pan features brazed, turbulator-equipped airway tubes passing through the lower section of the transmission pan for more efficient cooling,

Mark K had another real science reason the deep pans don't cool like they claim it is some kind of fluid dynamic big word a "boundary layer" of fluid that stays by the side of the pan almost insulating the rest of the fluid from the actual heat sink effect ( excuse my layman's. maybe Mark will chime in and clarify ?)

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Mark K had another real science reason the deep pans don't cool like they claim it is some kind of fluid dynamic big word a "boundary layer" of fluid that stays by the side of the pan almost insulating the rest of the fluid from the actual heat sink effect ( excuse my layman's. maybe Mark will chime in and clarify ?)
You got it right.

Also, the air around the pan is HOT. How will that cool the ATF? Now if the pan was in the airflow in front of the radiator it would have a small effect on cooling. But it is under the truck where it gets the hot air from the coolers up front and additional heat from the exhaust. A pan CANNOT cool the transmission.

Latest posts

Members online