Questions on updating the 5R110.

bandit6oh

Reaction score
What does larger fluid capacity prove?

With my experience with auto trans the more fluid you have the cooler temps stay and heat kills an automatic trans. With that being said I have zero experience with the 5r110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samgoto96

Reaction score
The size of the transmission cooler in a 6.0 / 6.4 does wonders to keeping the transmission cool. That is why anyone with a 7.3 with 4r100 is dropping a 6.0 trans cooler in them to keep everything cool.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
With my experience with auto trans the more fluid you have the cooler temps stay and heat kills an automatic trans. With that being said I have zero experience with the 5r110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nah, its a myth. It simply takes longer to heat up all the fluid. Also you get thermal barrier within the pan capacity that keeps hot fluid hot, not al;l fluid is a consistent temp inside the pan. Mark Kovalsky on here could fill you in.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
a better pan filter as opposed to the toilet paper filter.
The newer filter is finer than the toilet paper filter on the earlier transmissions. It also filters 100% of the fluid. The toilet paper filter only filters 10% of the cooler flow, and that's only a small fraction of the total fluid before the trans warms up and the thermostat opens.

Contamination is what kills solenoids. If you keep the fluid cleaner the solenoids will last a lot longer.

The new pan has a larger capacity, but it's minor. The only reason for the larger capacity is that the new filter is larger, so the pan had to be enlarged to fit the filter inside.

Gotcha. I would think money would be better spent on a pan with higher fluid capacity
The only thing a larger pan gets you is a lighter wallet. It can also make the bottom of your truck prettier. But as for cooling, that's all wishful thinking. It will take longer to get hot, but by the same token it will take longer to cool when it does get hot.

Pans are for holding fluid. They are useless for cooling a transmission.