BD tap shifter

Short Bus

Reaction score
anyone have any feedback on these? Looking at putting one on my 450 and wondered if it was worth the $$$. Have done a lot of searching and not much out there on these.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Thanks for linking to a 1.5 year old post that hasn't seen action in 5 months. I've already found that one and many other old posts from multiple forums, haven't stumbled on any recent reviews. But thanks for the quick search....

Short Bus

Reaction score
Kind of an indicator isn't it?

There was a lot of interest early and i figured some of those interested bought it and just didnt post back about it.

Hasn't seemed to be a very popular item on the 6.0's.

Any idea why? One of the things i miss most about my 6.7 was the ability to lock out gears when towing and the aggressive down shift and engine braking. I just dont want another 6.7 payment lol

Short Bus

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and bought one, installed it last night. As Ive said before, I absolutely hate not being able to drop a gear when needed so i decided to just spend the money. Install was really pretty easy, maybe a couple hours. The only thing as far as install goes that i dont like is the fact that you have to unplug the trans harness from the TCM and cut/ splice wires.... not cool. I dont know why they have not sourced connectors and made a pass through harness like they did for the obd connector. I'll report back after i get a few miles on it.

Zmann

Reaction score
thanks for this
I agree on the harness adapter

and maybe dropping the price to under 500.00 ;-)

Short Bus

Reaction score
Figured id throw in an update. It works as advertised, I like it and id buy another if i needed to. My only complaints are that when you turn the BD on, it briefly unlocks the TC. If you are trying to slow down that makes it a pita waiting for the tc to lock back up. I rarely drive with the BD on until i need to lock a gear out or manually down shift. Its not a big deal, definitely not a deal breaker just need to remember to bump the BD on before you want to start slowing down. The other gripe is that 2-3 times now after using the bd to down shift and for breaking it has locked/frozen up and leaves the vgt wide open, shifts get very erratic and it wont reset until you cycle key power. It doesnt happen very often but when it does it kinda sucks that you have to pull over and shut the truck off and restart before you can take back off.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Figured id throw in an update. It works as advertised, I like it and id buy another if i needed to. My only complaints are that when you turn the BD on, it briefly unlocks the TC. If you are trying to slow down that makes it a pita waiting for the tc to lock back up. I rarely drive with the BD on until i need to lock a gear out or manually down shift. Its not a big deal, definitely not a deal breaker just need to remember to bump the BD on before you want to start slowing down. The other gripe is that 2-3 times now after using the bd to down shift and for breaking it has locked/frozen up and leaves the vgt wide open, shifts get very erratic and it wont reset until you cycle key power. It doesnt happen very often but when it does it kinda sucks that you have to pull over and shut the truck off and restart before you can take back off.
I have had one in my truck for a year now and I love it. I do however have some of the same complaints you do, mine are a bit different but overall it works great!

Jeremy

Reaction score
What firmware version are you two running? It should be on the sticker on the module. Later versions had a reset added to them for the freezing up.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I don't know.... started having all kinds of weird issues then all of a sudden truck died and didn't start. Smoked a pcm. Unplugged the module, installed a reman pcm and left the module on the tool box at home. Not impressed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Bus

Reaction score
Not saying that the module caused the pcm to go, it is a 200k mile truck shyt happens. But shortly after installing is when I started having weird issues. About once a day I'd have a code for #7 glow plug circuit fault or something like that, haven't had it since removing module and installing a pcm. Also starting having a lot weird shifting even with the module not turned on. Hope they get the bugs worked out, it has potential for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.