Thermostat Choices

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
230° isnt going to hurt a 7.3.. many guys have ran that temp sustained for miles without issue.. i think csipsd(joe) has ran well above that temp many times over the years without issue..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Brian Taylor OBS

Reaction score
What temperature does the red dash light come on at. I assume its the sensor for EOT. Mine recently came on pulling a hill with a trailer. I don't have a mechanical gauge so I don't actually know the number. I know the 6.0 de-fueld at EOT 253*. I have a 6.0 fan and mish radiator inbound via amazon.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I just to add to my experience with the 180 tstat, I have seen cooler oil temps when towing heavy at 90+ outside air temp. I'm glad I went with it now. Cheap but effective improvement.

superpsd

Reaction score
I use the 180 I believe in keeping thing slightly cooler which can prolong the life of items like Orings

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I installed a 180 thermostat couple months ago. I just have stock gauges but the temp seems to sit a tad lower. We are just starting to see warmer Temps down south but in a month or so we will be cooking and I hope it stays running cooler with the 180.

Mind you I never had overheating troubles I just went with it when I replaced the entire cooling system in the truck.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I got mine last week from RiffRaff. Made a 4 hour trip down to Gulf Shores, Al yesterday and my mileage seems to be up. And I attribute that to the clutch fan not engaging at all. I'll know better when I fill up and calculate mileage.

rusty1161

Reaction score
I just swapped in a Terminator 180* thermostat in place of a Dieselsite 203*. With the 203* my coolant temps were 203-205*, oil temps 215-220* all day, everyday. I am trying the 180* to give myself some cooling cushion like others with OBS trucks. I just drove back to Socal from Mammoth Lakes, the Eastern Sierras in California, crossing some fairly warm desert at 104-106*. Cruising at 65-70 mph, my egt's were 750-850*, coolant temp was 203-205* and oil temps were 212-220* with the 180* thermostat. I have a Horton fan clutch, 2000 SD intercooler, Mishimoto OBS radiator and a banged up condenser between those two. When I manually locked the fan clutch, coolant temps dropped to 190*ish. I guess ram air through the IC, condenser and radiator at 70 mph is not as good as a 100% locked up fan clutch. I thought different before the drive today.

In my case, with my truck, the 180* thermostat still lets my cooling system run up to it's capacity, and once there, the fan clutch adds airflow even at 70 mph to cool it down. At some point down the road, I'd like to run the same conditions again with the 203* and locked up fan clutch. I never checked temps like that before.

Just my $.02.

Rusty

gnxtc2

Reaction score
This is how the front coolers are stacked in my truck:
- SD aluminum IC (first)
- 6.0 transcooler
- AC condenser
- Mishimoto radiator

How are the coolers stacked in a SD truck? I think the AC condenser is out front.

No issues with trans temp. Highest I saw in 95* weather was 160*.

I am wondering if the heat/air coming off the IC is affecting the other coolers down wind.

I too experienced that the fan clutch locked up increases airflow even traveling at 70 mph.

Billy T.
[email protected]

The Brad

Reaction score
This is how the front coolers are stacked in my truck:
- SD aluminum IC (first)
- 6.0 transcooler
- AC condenser
- Mishimoto radiator

How are the coolers stacked in a SD truck? I think the AC condenser is out front.

No issues with trans temp. Highest I saw in 95* weather was 160*.

I am wondering if the heat/air coming off the IC is affecting the other coolers down wind.

I too experienced that the fan clutch locked up increases airflow even traveling at 70 mph.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Does your AC blow any cold air? Mine goes to crap in traffic, I can only imagine what it would be like with the condenser in the back.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
In my Excursion, my temps dropped a good 10* across the board with the 180* stat from what they were running the stock stat. That's coolant and oil temps. Transmission temps weren't affected as they run about 80* above ambient temp with the 6.0 cooler.

euroford

Reaction score
I posted this on our local 4x4 forum, but figured it would be a relevant post here as well.

----

So we loaded the full river rig up and headed to the upper Colorado last weekend. Kayaked from State Bridge to Catamount which was a total blast, including sending our first class 2 rapids.

First time driving such a heavily loaded setup over the passes, overall it did GREAT. handled and drove awesome and more than enough power to keep it around 65mph and a fair bit faster at times. Even heading back eastbound over Vail pass and up to the tunnel we were sitting about half throttle maintaining 65mph, EGT's about 1,100 and boosting 26psi sustained in fourth gear. I can't say enough about the Swamps tunes and the overall performance of my setup. Tons of power on reserve and EGT's are very well controlled.

I AM a little concerned about oil temps though. Lately driving around with just the camper on I was seeing 225ish regularly driving to work and back and had seen as high as 234 on my weekly drive over Berthoud pass to Winter Park, it would then take awhile for those temps to drop back down. So I ditched the 203deg. thermostat, installed a new motorcraft stock tstat and did a full flush and fill with new ELC. This helped a lot, regular driving in traffic temps rarely exceed 202, and over Berthoud it only hit 215, most notably temps immediately drop when I back out of the throttle and while coasting or at a light they hover around 196.

Westbound up 70 in the cool morning air with the AC off, I was really happy with the oil temp performance, but not so much heading eastbound Sunday afternoon. It was definitely warmer out and we had the AC cranking, topping out Vail Pass and the Eisenhower oil temps peaked at 243 and 246. This was only for a very short time period of time and it cooled back down rapidly after cresting the top. In retrospect I should have shut down the AC, and obviously I could backed down my speed and dropped it into a lower power tune.

Idiot gauge on the dash never budged, does anybody have an idea about what temp Ford finally decides you should be worried?

So i'm curious to hear your thoughts, how alarmed should a guy be about getting up over 240? any good suggestions to improve the cooling system a touch? I did have my licence plate in the grill, not much of a restriction to air flow, but I removed it yesterday regardless and will be curious to see if that makes a difference heading over Berthoud this afternoon. It also makes we wonder what kind of condition that radiator is in, sandwiched out of view between that IC and the condenser the thing could be half clogged with dirt and leaves and it would hard to ever know. I've seen that some people swap to a 180deg tstat, but I have serious reservations about that. The truck gets even more mountain time in the winter than summer, and I've had issues maintaining heat heading downhill.

280pi53.jpg

Swaan

Reaction score
That's oil temp not water temp. That's normal when working it hard. I see those oil temps in my stock 6.0 also.

Nothing to worry about. As long as your water temps stay under 220-225 max your fine

What your hauling there really is just average for weight.

Latest posts

Members online