6.7 egr bolts on exhaust side

Jeremy67

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for the help. I was trying to remove long egr pipe on the exhaust manifold side and broke one bolt. Has anyone had success getting them out or is it a drill and tap kind of job. Is there any concern of material going through the bolt through into the exhaust into turbo? Should I try the other bolt when the engine is hot? Been soaking with blaster but not having any success. I do not want to have to try to drill two out of I don't have to. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Many have got them out by welding a nut to the remaining stud sticking out and the added heat usually helps break it free.

Jeremy67

Reaction score
Aren't those bolts aluminum? I noticed too late that they don't stick to magnetic bowls

DieselDog

Reaction score
Aren't those bolts aluminum? I noticed too late that they don't stick to magnetic bowls
Factory Exhaust manifolds are cheap $50.00 to $80 depending on place if purchase.
Only thing that sucks is you have to remove turbo to get manifold out. If you do that route I would install two new update rear manifold studs at the head. They're known to break over time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ccmac

Reaction score
On my 2012 I broke the valley side bolt and just drilled it out and used a nut on the bottom side instead of re threading.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
I broke off both mine last week. Nothing sticking up to weld to. Ended up drilling and helicoiling to 1/4". Was tons of fun lol those bolts get hard

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
we always recommend spraying multiple times with blaster days in advance before doing this job. higher mileage, harder to extract .

Jomax

Reaction score
I soak them days before. Another trick with a small impact is tighten them before you go to loosen them.

You need to be able to feel if it's going to snap or break loose. Don't go full force on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLyons90

Reaction score
Will defiantly be taking all this into consideration when I go to do my EGR ****** here in a few weeks. Can not stand breaking a bolt off anywhere around a motor...

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
The other trick I used: when I went to take them out we let the truck sit all night and let everything cool completely off. When they still wouldn't budge after more spray, I took a bernzomatic and heated the exhaust manifold underneath the bolt/pipe flange, trying to keep as much heat away from the bolt as possible.

The only way heat works in your favor is if one object is hot and the other is cold, that's the greatest advantage you will have. If both are hot or both are cold, they will grow or shrink together and gain you nothing. But get one of them hot to grow (ideally the hole the bolt is going into) and leave the other cold, now you've got yourself a little wiggle room.

Reaction score
I broke the head of the bolt off on mine and was able to get the egr pipe off, then was able to back it out using a small socket. Get a socket that is just a little bit smaller and use a hammer to get it on. I think the shock from the hammer breaks it free then it should back out pretty easy.

dmill0514

Reaction score
The best thing about doing this when your truck only has 3,800 miles on it? They come out easy with a 1/4" drive ratchet! :rockon:

JRLott

Reaction score
The best thing about doing this when your truck only has 3,800 miles on it? They come out easy with a 1/4" drive ratchet! :rockon:

I was gonna do mine "later", so I pulled the bolts and never seized them sometime before 2000 miles...then pulled them again at 5085 miles to install a block off plate. LOL. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000-100,000 miles before I had anticipated "later" to be.

20156point7

Reaction score

I got all mine out earlier today with a 1/4 ratchet and my truck has 30k. Been on weight loss since 3k, but just now decided to lose the egr.

jaynick1

Reaction score
Yes. ^^^

Mine came out pretty easily at 93k. The passenger side vally bolt broke free then started binding as I backed it out. Spray, heat, light hammer taps, and I got it past the bind. Re-chased all the holes with a tap (one exhaust side bolt had some deformation on the threads). New bolts for the dealership and anti seize and now were g2g. I have to swap my weight back on a off every year for that "test", and I have it down to a bout an hour and half swap.

Latest posts

Members online