Will the chrome tailgate trim that came on a 92-96 fit a 1997 F250?

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Will this fit on my 97 tailgate? I feel like it should as the 96 and 97 are pretty similar
ed53f63b6e72fd01f9d62650244a1309.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

joedown

Reaction score
Well yes and no. It will not be a direct bolt on unless you drill some big holes in the tailgate for the brackets. Most guys want a 97 tailgate for the clean look rather than the one with that big trim.

old man dave

Reaction score
I used that panel on my 97 and as joedown said, stock brackets need some very large holes drilled into the tailgate. Not only that but after a few years the plastic brackets get brittle and need to be replaced. May want to devise a different method of fastening the valence panel to the tailgate. Gluing (RTV) the panel to the tailgate may work.

DudeManScott

Reaction score
I used that panel on my 97 and as joedown said, stock brackets need some very large holes drilled into the tailgate. Not only that but after a few years the plastic brackets get brittle and need to be replaced. May want to devise a different method of fastening the valence panel to the tailgate. Gluing (RTV) the panel to the tailgate may work.
What about removing the brackets and using strips of 3m adhesive?

Also people on eBay want a lot for these things in not good shape...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

old man dave

Reaction score
Industrial grade double stick tape probably would work. Only reason I suggested using RTV is if the valence panel is not straight, the RTV would compensate for it. Would probably need to use sandbags or similar to hold panel flat until the RTV set though.

I'm on my third set of brackets.:lookaround: Next time its RTV for me, aside from the brackets are probably no longer available!

old man dave

Reaction score
Here's a used one in fair condition, looks like its for an older model since it has the red strip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1996-Ford-Truck-Tail-Panel-Tailgate-Trim-F150-F250-F350-Pickup-93-94-95-OEM-/142373793978?hash=item212623b0ba:g:ZjsAAOSww9xZDQsf&vxp=mtr

And two of the funky brackets ( I think you need 6 or 8, don't remember):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-96-FORD-F-150-250-TAILGATE-TRIM-MOUNTING-BRACKETS-92-96-FORD-F-150-SET-OF-2-/222492999005?hash=item33cd9dbd5d:g:UTsAAOSww9xZBPKJ&vxp=mtr

I sold a NOS tailgate panel years ago. I shipped it between two sheets of 1/4" plywood and a layer of foam sheet and strapped it together so the corners didn't get dinged in shipment. Have your shipper do the same.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
Last edited:

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Here's a used one in fair condition, looks like its for an older model since it has the red strip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1996-Ford-Truck-Tail-Panel-Tailgate-Trim-F150-F250-F350-Pickup-93-94-95-OEM-/142373793978?hash=item212623b0ba:g:ZjsAAOSww9xZDQsf&vxp=mtr

And two of the funky brackets ( I think you need 6 or 8, don't remember):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-96-FORD-F-150-250-TAILGATE-TRIM-MOUNTING-BRACKETS-92-96-FORD-F-150-SET-OF-2-/222492999005?hash=item33cd9dbd5d:g:UTsAAOSww9xZBPKJ&vxp=mtr

I sold a NOS tailgate panel years ago. I shipped it between two sheets of 1/4" plywood and a layer of foam sheet and strapped it together so the corners didn't get dinged in shipment. Have your shipper do the same.
There should only be 3 of them.

smcox1

Reaction score
Just be glad it's 6 holes and not 50 like the new trucks have LOL Can you use any other type of fastener(3M tape/RTV)? I've never removed mine but I thought that the panel sits off the tailgate with a space in between it.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
Just be glad it's 6 holes and not 50 like the new trucks have LOL Can you use any other type of fastener(3M tape/RTV)? I've never removed mine but I thought that the panel sits off the tailgate with a space in between it.

As I recall, that's a sign that one or more brackets have snapped. With good ones the panel flush mounts.

The mounting brackets look like something that can be made out of steel strap with the spacers welded on to the strap.

smcox1

Reaction score
Well the panel can't mount flush if there's a bracket behind it. I'm saying that even if you lay the tailgate flat, put the trim panel on it without brackets there has to be a space between the tailgate and the panel. The panel doesn't touch the tailgate except on the edges.

old man dave

Reaction score
Well the panel can't mount flush if there's a bracket behind it. I'm saying that even if you lay the tailgate flat, put the trim panel on it without brackets there has to be a space between the tailgate and the panel. The panel doesn't touch the tailgate except on the edges.

Well, where else would you think it would lay flat since you can't see the backside of the panel or the tailgate section? I didn't think I had to explain it any further.

smcox1

Reaction score
Go ahead and fasten it however you would like you're not understanding what I'm saying. To the op if you use 3M tape it'll have to be at least a half an inch thick, unless you put it around the edge of the panel and in that case it won't sit completely flush. if you rtv it in place you will have to put some big globs for it to grab both the tailgate and the panel and I wouldn't put sand bags to hold it down because you will probably cave it in.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
Go ahead and fasten it however you would like you're not understanding what I'm saying. To the op if you use 3M tape it'll have to be at least a half an inch thick, unless you put it around the edge of the panel and in that case it won't sit completely flush. if you rtv it in place you will have to put some big globs for it to grab both the tailgate and the panel and I wouldn't put sand bags to hold it down because you will probably cave it in.

I can see your point since a guy like you would use 50# sandbags....

I'm on my 3rd set of brackets so I know whats under there.

smcox1

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't stop a flood with a 5 pound sandbag. Maybe that's how you do things in California but here in Colorado I wouldn't call a sandwich baggy full of sand a sandbag. I'm also not going to continue to fix something the same way that has failed two times before. No need to act like a douche because someone questions the information you're giving.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score

I guess you just don't understand how to use either double backed tape or RTV.

I use sandbags to sight in my rifle and they sure don't weight 50 lbs. I guess your experience is just too limited to comprehend what others say.

old man dave

Reaction score

I guess you just don't understand how to use either double backed tape or RTV. I just used the factory mounts since it was quick and easy. Now I'm thinking about an alternate method.

I use sandbags to sight in my rifle and they sure don't weight 50 lbs. Maybe you guys in Colorado do? I guess your experience is just too limited to comprehend what others say.

Last edited:

smcox1

Reaction score
Well I do know how to post in a forum without posting the same thing multiple times.

old man dave

Reaction score
Apparently one of the few things you can do.

If you think flush mount means there is no space behind the panel, try removing a flush mounted manhole cover and then step into where it was.

Already said that sandbags don't just come in big sizes but I guess you just don't have much experience with them.

If you think using RTV results in the use of GLOBS of it, then I guess if you have resealed either a pan or intake plenum your engine is a mess.

Already had said I was exploring using a different method to mount the panel but I guess you have reading difficulties and illogical thought jumps.

I may be a douche but I'd rather be that than a DUMB DOUCHE.

Latest posts

Members online