364.5 SXE vs stock turbo

jvc1990

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any improvements with 364.5 SXE,compared to stock obs turbo with stock injectors?im sure it would get rid of leaky up pipes & compressor surge.other than future mods just wondering if worth the money.seems like Carson Stauffer & irate have good kits.thanks

Swaan

Reaction score
I have run the stock turbo and know what a stock obs is like. I also have a 364.5 on my truck now.

You will notice a lot faster spool up and cooler running egts with the borg. Yes , it will also eliminate the leaks on the stock up pipes. If your not going to up grade injectors and just run a chip just get a 362sxe. It will be even better. Should also see a big improvement in fuel economy.

Dzl1691

Reaction score
I how would it run with stock injectors? Will eventually up grade to larger injectors in a later date.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Get the 364.5 then. With those injectors I would get a new hpop or one of the proven upgraded ones. Or you could just go with a hybrid like the 200/80 and probably be golden with your existing hpop.

Dzl1691

Reaction score
How would it run with the stock injectors? It would be at least 9 months before I can get injectors.

superpsd

Reaction score
Should work better than a stock turbo. The stock turbo is a TP38 with a 1.10 turbine housing. It's a very loose housing to keep backpressure low and turbine speed down. There are two different turbine sizes for the 364.5. The larger 74/80mm or the smaller 68/76mm turbine. Also you will have turbine housing sizes to pick from for both turbine wheel sizes. The .91 or the 1.0 housing. The smaller housing is going to have a quicker spool. Housings are cheap so you can always bolt in the 364.5 with a .91 since you still have stock sticks and then swap to the 1.0 latter if needed. Turbine housings are pretty cheap about 150-170$ a housing. Swaan above is running the 364.5 with the injectors you are considering. I think he said his 364.5 was the smaller turbine. I'm sure he will chime in.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Correct. I'm running the 364.5 with the 68 tubine and 1.00.housing.
The new sxe 74 turbine is the one id run on a 7.3 now thou.

Dzl1691

Reaction score
By going from 68 to 74 turbine, how does that effect the turbo? With stock injectors is there any concerns with it running hot? What rm range would the turbo be efficient at? ( Low,Mid,High)?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I haven't run the smaller exhaust size, but I did come from the smaller exhaust size of a 38R that had the gate too tight. The difference is it won't feel as choked up above (in my situation 2k rpm) and with the sxe it's probably not noticed until after ~2500. If I had to take a guess, and that's assuming you have enough fuel to get into this condition.

Before it pulled hard and felt like it hit a plateau around 2000-2200. Now it just runs like it's got something to prove up until it hits the rev limiter. It's a similar experience when you run out of high pressure oil. And then one day you upgrade that.

At least in my opinion. You're results may vary.

Latest posts

Members online