Very slight surging at idle early 99 7.3

JO9816

Reaction score
Recently my truck has started surging at idle. It still runs and drives very smooth and the engine has no misses whatsoever while I'm driving. The idle on the other hand isn't quite as smooth. It varies +/-50 rpms so it's very slight, but I still noticed it. I first noticed it about a week or two after I put a php hydra on my truck and removed my dp tuner. Thanks for any advice.

tubular031

Reaction score
long story short.... its probably related to injectors.....

Mine idled perfect till I put in rebuilt injectors. It ran like doodoo because of bad injectors. As I replaced them 1 by 1 it got better and better till the builder would not replace anymore because the problem can not be many bad in a set and it must be my truck.... f&*k them, I bought another set from another vendor and guess what.... no more problems... So my guess is you have probably a sticky injector that needs a little more ICP to un stick or you have an injector that is bleeding off a little ICP causing it to fire late or a little weak. When you get moving and the ICP is higher all is good.

JO9816

Reaction score
That sounds like it's probably my problem. According to my edge insight, at idle the ICP is only 450-475 which did result in a quieter idle, but as you stated, the ICP is probably a little too low to unstick the injector. Is it something I should fix or will it be fine? I'm sure php could bump the ICP up a little.

stroker_colony

Reaction score
Had this on my late 99. Checked all connections and under valve cover harnesses everything was fine. Turned out to be an injector. Installed new injector problem solved

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tubular031

Reaction score
Is it something I should fix or will it be fine? I'm sure php could bump the ICP up a little.

My advice is if all other things are OK (power, drivability, EGTs, smoke and so on), I would just drive it till you need new injectors. Its not a question of if you need injectors, its when. Swamps says 200k ish is when the injectors start to get weak and start to ware. Mine were still just about perfect at 275k but the orings failed and I was drinking a gal of oil every 50 ish miles. I pulled them and decided to replace them since they were out and they had almost 300k on them.... I wish I did not replace them because of all the issues I had with the remans. oh well its all in the past now and I learned a bunch.

JO9816

Reaction score
My advice is if all other things are OK (power, drivability, EGTs, smoke and so on), I would just drive it till you need new injectors. Its not a question of if you need injectors, its when. Swamps says 200k ish is when the injectors start to get weak and start to ware. Mine were still just about perfect at 275k but the orings failed and I was drinking a gal of oil every 50 ish miles. I pulled them and decided to replace them since they were out and they had almost 300k on them.... I wish I did not replace them because of all the issues I had with the remans. oh well its all in the past now and I learned a bunch.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking too. The truck has 188k and definetily feels a little weaker than it did when I first bought it at 159k. On the bright side new injectors means time for a power upgrade :D

tubular031

Reaction score
Remember that bigger injectors means more power and more parts to "beef up" or you will have problems. turbo, fuel system, transmission, hpop (probably since you are in e99), springs, head studs (if you go real big) and so on. those $1700+ injectors turns into 10k more in parts!

Have fun!

I am heading the same way with TOT. First will be the trans then the power comes.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking too. The truck has 188k and definetily feels a little weaker than it did when I first bought it at 159k. On the bright side new injectors means time for a power upgrade :D

Biggest mistake I made with injectors was going too small. I went with a 160/stock nozzle. After driving the truck for a few years and towing/daily use, I'd say if I had to do it again I'd be in the 180/200cc range 100% nozzles and go from there. I know alot of guys were ragging on the 100%'s saying there was no need for them and jump right to 200% but I'm not sure if that was ever really proven. I guess it' depends on who's tuning them. IMO unless you're an asshat or your truck has abnormal wear, you shouldn't be breaking parts at this power level. Depending on turbo from there tho :thumbsup:

Remember that bigger injectors means more power and more parts to "beef up" or you will have problems. turbo, fuel system, transmission, hpop (probably since you are in e99), springs, head studs (if you go real big) and so on. those $1700+ injectors turns into 10k more in parts!

Have fun!

I am heading the same way with TOT. First will be the trans then the power comes.

agreed... at the minimum you'll need a hpop. Not sure if I'd worry about springs and head studs depending on power level, but it's always a good investment if you have the cash. Same as a fuel system. Regulated return is always a benefit but you can also improve the stock fuel system by doing the "hutch & harpoon" mods. Transmissions I know nothing about, I just slapped a new clutch behind my zf and haven't had problems yet.

Last edited:

JO9816

Reaction score
Yeah an hpop for sure since I can only hit 23-2400 icp when I'm WOT on the 140 tune on my hydra tuner. At first I was set on the 160/30 from PIS, but then I read a little bit and definitely don't want to be disappointed with the power from a $1700+ investment. However, I'm on a pretty tight budget so something like a 160/30 is probably my best bet. Now I'm contradicting myself...stupid voices in my head :poke:

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
I love my 160/30s. Ive never thought I needed more power. I mainly tow with mine and I love it. Plenty of power and no egt issues or excessive smoke.5 Also no need for studs, pr, or vs at this power level so its a bit more affordable. I would highly recommend spending some money on your turbo setup though. It makes all the difference. If your gonna do it then pony up the cash and do it right the first time.

Latest posts

Members online