Can I eliminate some or all of the boots that connect the piping?

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
NY, not the urban cesspool, the part that sticks o
I don't understand engines very well to begin with so pardon my ignorance but with all the problems with CAC boots blowing off I just have a hard time believing that guys making high horsepower have the same set up. Am I wrong? Either way is it possible to eliminate some or all of the boots in favor of a more robust clamping/connecting system? I know there are those vibrant clamps, is that an option? I think I can practice and learn to weld good enough to make some pipes...maybe. Anyway, it just seems like there is a better way, am I wrong? Suggestions are wanted and welcomed!

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
A good boot and a properly fitting pipe will hold 80+psi and provides the flex necessary for engine roll.

A common problem is oil in the cac system from the crankcase vent, that will break down the boots and they will fail over time. This can be fixed by adding a catch can/baffle system or routing the vent somewhere besides the cac system.

Only v band I like on the 6.0 would be the case of an non vgt turbo being installed utilizing a v band compressor housing with a new hot side intercooler pipe. All the other connections are straight boot connections and can handle just about all the boost you can throw at them provided you use a high quality boot and clamp. (And you replace the plastic cold side cac with a metal one)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. I don't know what psi boost I will be dealing g with down the road but I probably won't exceed 80. I think I will try to use the v band housing on the turbo when I switch to my non vgt set up. If I can find someone to build a mild compound d set up that would work well instead of the boots.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The problem you may be overlooking is that the intercooler is mounted to the body of the truck, and the turbos are mounted to the motor. The motor is moving separate from the body so there is flex there. There needs to be something to allow movement, or you will simply break the CAC tubing. Vibrant clamps are definitely one of the best designs out there, but probably not needed for a mild 6.0 build. Certainly nothing negative about using them, other than price.

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
The problem you may be overlooking is that the intercooler is mounted to the body of the truck, and the turbos are mounted to the motor. The motor is moving separate from the body so there is flex there. There needs to be something to allow movement, or you will simply break the CAC tubing. Vibrant clamps are definitely one of the best designs out there, but probably not needed for a mild 6.0 build. Certainly nothing negative about using them, other than price.

Ok cool, appreciate the info! My truck will be set up with a 71 mm vgt and small injectors(250/100 hyb.) until we get the engine and trans bugs worked out and then after that I'm going to have someone lucky fella build me a nice compound set up with whatever injectors & oil pump setup are appropriate. I will have it waste gated but I'm thinking it will still be significant psi. Just trying to learn as much as possible. I'll be ok on stock head bolts right?.......🤔

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Big fan of vgt compound setups myself but from my understanding there's some major challenges tuning a vgt 6.0 because of how they control the veins.

I know there's threads out there where someone has tried it, try finding one of those. Maybe someone figured it out, idk.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I still haven't seen anyone successfully figure it out either.

MPD was making a big push a couple years ago on it again, and then it went silent again.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I think once Charlie's new VGT controller is out and more tuners become proficient at tuning that we will see VGT compounds on our 6.0's become more common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
I don't. There are the few and far between, freak of nature 6.0's that'll go 300k with very minor work. Then there is the majority, that seem to have constant problems, injectors seem to wear out SUPER quick on them, even changine oil on time, and with good fuel pressure. Obviously i can't speak for fuel quality, but the injectors are flat out finicky. Ficm's, hpop's, heads cracking, lifters dropping beedle bearings like flies, wiping out cams and lpops, etc... I've worked on a close ratio of fleet and privately owned trucks, seen em babied and abused. Don't even get me started on 6.4's.

sootie

Reaction score
I feel like that's a bit of a false statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agreed
I don't. There are the few and far between, freak of nature 6.0's that'll go 300k with very minor work. Then there is the majority, that seem to have constant problems, injectors seem to wear out SUPER quick on them, even changine oil on time, and with good fuel pressure. Obviously i can't speak for fuel quality, but the injectors are flat out finicky. Ficm's, hpop's, heads cracking, lifters dropping beedle bearings like flies, wiping out cams and lpops, etc... I've worked on a close ratio of fleet and privately owned trucks, seen em babied and abused. Don't even get me started on 6.4's.

of all the trucks in our fleet the six ohs need the least...

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Irrelevant anyway, v-bands are no more difficult to remove than a boot...

thewrubelator

Reaction score
I still haven't seen anyone successfully figure it out either.

MPD was making a big push a couple years ago on it again, and then it went silent again.

A guy i work with has a stock 03 charger and 475 compounds with 205/100s. Pulls extremely hard and runs great! Made 635hp and runs mid to low 12s.

Mdub707

Reaction score
A guy i work with has a stock 03 charger and 475 compounds with 205/100s. Pulls extremely hard and runs great! Made 635hp and runs mid to low 12s.

That seems like a really small high pressure paired with a fairly large low pressure LOL. I like it.

who handled the tuning on it? It seemed like the VGT was always an issue. What is he seeing for overall boost and backpressure #s?

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
Man I just want to get up to between 8-900 and play with it on the weekend. I'm realistic about reliability or lack thereof and I know it will always be a work in progress but I still want it. I think I know what I need but I need the help of a talented mechanic/fabricator to realize it. I'll do the crazy **** like....oil changes & even the brakes. **** once I got wild and changed an alternator. Best 2 hours of my life!�� Yes, 2 hours..

scparrish

Reaction score
Out of curiousity which vibrant clamps are yall running specifically? They make a ton of clamps, including factory style clamps.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
That seems like a really small high pressure paired with a fairly large low pressure LOL. I like it.

who handled the tuning on it? It seemed like the VGT was always an issue. What is he seeing for overall boost and backpressure #s?

It rips for what it is! We got a tune from MAtt and a tune from Eric, both have a differences, but both run really good!