Intermittent Noise

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Over the past month and a half, I've had three separate occassions where a prominent clanking noise (almost like an old diesel firing when cold) has come from the engine bay and lasted 2-4 seconds. Each time I have been cruising at 70 mph or so down the highway. There doesn't seem to be any loss of power or smoke or other noticeable differences. It just starts and stops without any warning.

Any thoughts on what this may be? I'm leaning towards something with the injectors just because the noise didn't happen until these injectors were installed.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
It's done it on both gear head and dyno proven tunes. All tunes have been changed for the injectors.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I'd agree with it sounding more electrical to come and go like that. Possibly something related to the idm?

I will say that I'm not completely satisfied with the way the truck is running right now. Idle and partial throttle are choppy in all tunes. I'm not sure how much is related though.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
It might be a bad ipr. I had an ipr that would hang up and get stuck causing the pressure to stay high when it shouldn't have been and it caused a knocking noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PABowhunter

Reaction score
It might be a bad ipr. I had an ipr that would hang up and get stuck causing the pressure to stay high when it shouldn't have been and it caused a knocking noise

How long would that last for? Sounds like it may be the culprit.

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
If I remember it would last maybe between 5 to 20 seconds at the longest but that was a year ago when I had that problem

Latest posts

Members online