Couple Questions Before I Tear Apart My 6.4

BrendanWhat

Reaction score
I think I've got a game plan finally settled on and wanted some feedback and input before I drop the cash and hours out of my life on this build.

Aside from new pistons, rods, and head studs, I was looking at doing 30-50% over injectors combined with RCD's work stock turbo. That's my first combination I'd appreciate any input on. Also still not entirely sure how big I want to go on those injectors. Thanks again in advance for your advise.

My second question is if anybody would happen to know if *******'s Phalanx tuner can accommodate those mods or if there's a better route to go? I haven't been able to really lock down a solid tuning place around the Chicagoland area.

I don't have a specific number in mind I'd like to see on the dyno, although I think 750-800HP would make me pretty happy. Kind of more or less trying the waters to find the right combination of track and street use.

Appreciate it, gents.

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
Your going to need dual high pressure fuel pumps for any injectors bigger than stock. Also the work stock turbos don't need big injectors. I'd look for a set of turbos in the 76/59 size range for the injectors you listed. But adding dual pumps isnt cheap. As far as I know there isn't custom tuning on the *******. Best option is to get a H&S minimaxx with mcc. Multiple tuning options from there.

sootie

Reaction score
If you plan to run larger nozzles than stock you will need dual fuelers. A 59mm high pressure turbo and a 75 or 76mm atmosphere charger will break 800 with dual fuel and 60% nozzles.

I would very much recommended an H&S tuner with custom MCC tunes from Gear Head or other reputable tuners.

Are your rods bad? Stock ones will be fine at 800 with good tuning. I would spend the money on air upgrades like ported intake manifold, cam & valve springs , no limit intake, hot and cold side pipes.

I'm sure you are aware but make sure you get your heads magnafluxed and decked even if your gaskets didn't blow.

If your truck still runs and is saleable it would be waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to buy Andrews truck that's for sale in the classifieds. It makes almost 900 and has nothing but the best parts on it. Nice wheels to boot. BlackAoD is his screen name. You coildnt hope to build the truck for the price...

BrendanWhat

Reaction score
Yes I will definitely be doing dual fuel. Forgot to mention that. My rods aren't bad, but I figured since I'm in there, might as well swap them out for some extra insurance. You guys think they can hold up? Also that RCD turbo I'm looking at is 59/71, but I'll keep my eyes open for a 75mm

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Yes I will definitely be doing dual fuel. Forgot to mention that. My rods aren't bad, but I figured since I'm in there, might as well swap them out for some extra insurance. You guys think they can hold up? Also that RCD turbo I'm looking at is 59/71, but I'll keep my eyes open for a 75mm

You need 73 or bigger to hit your goals, no sacrifice at all-onky gain in power

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm pretty set on building my own :)

I made that mistake as well.....very very costly. I will never build my own six four again. It's not the big money parts that get you, it is ironing out the kinks and small issues as you go along.

sootie

Reaction score
Elite diesel, RCD, side action diesel, barder turbo service they all make them. Might call Midwest Diesel and auto and see what they have on the shelf. Top notch company.

Black AOD

Reaction score
If you plan to run larger nozzles than stock you will need dual fuelers. A 59mm high pressure turbo and a 75 or 76mm atmosphere charger will break 800 with dual fuel and 60% nozzles.

I would very much recommended an H&S tuner with custom MCC tunes from Gear Head or other reputable tuners.

Are your rods bad? Stock ones will be fine at 800 with good tuning. I would spend the money on air upgrades like ported intake manifold, cam & valve springs , no limit intake, hot and cold side pipes.

I'm sure you are aware but make sure you get your heads magnafluxed and decked even if your gaskets didn't blow.

If your truck still runs and is saleable it would be waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to buy Andrews truck that's for sale in the classifieds. It makes almost 900 and has nothing but the best parts on it. Nice wheels to boot. BlackAoD is his screen name. You coildnt hope to build the truck for the price...

Who's Andrew? :pimp:

Black AOD

Reaction score
I think I've got a game plan finally settled on and wanted some feedback and input before I drop the cash and hours out of my life on this build.

Aside from new pistons, rods, and head studs, I was looking at doing 30-50% over injectors combined with RCD's work stock turbo. That's my first combination I'd appreciate any input on. Also still not entirely sure how big I want to go on those injectors. Thanks again in advance for your advise.

My second question is if anybody would happen to know if *******'s Phalanx tuner can accommodate those mods or if there's a better route to go? I haven't been able to really lock down a solid tuning place around the Chicagoland area.

I don't have a specific number in mind I'd like to see on the dyno, although I think 750-800HP would make me pretty happy. Kind of more or less trying the waters to find the right combination of track and street use.

Appreciate it, gents.

OP,

Ron and Shane have already given you a great lengths of info on what you'll need....my .02 is this.

To make 750-800HP you will need dual fuelers. Period. That's been stated. Your best bet is to do stock appearing 75/59 from RCD or 76/59 from Elite Diesel and some 60% Injectors also from RCD would be my recommendation.

Heads need decked and magnafluxed, period. O-ring them while they are apart, do a set of new never torqued studs, I personally would make sure the torque spec is 230 or below on a set of nice high tensile strength studs. OEM gaskets are my preference. Pushrods and valve springs are a must, if you can find a good reputable machine shop, doing hardened valve seats is a very good idea. Porting the heads out a bit will also significantly benefit the top end airflow, you just need to make sure if you go this route that your machinist knows a thing or two about 6.4 head porting as the chamber walls are inconsistent across different sets of heads and sometimes can be very thin in spots.. A ported manifold as was said earlier will greatly help. Im a fan of Elites ZMax for the airflow it creates but the price is a littlew higher. I personally own an RCD as I wasn't as knowledgeable at the time but better yet O'Dawgs Diesel is releasing his 1 piece casted 6.4 manifold any day now and honestly I can say looking at his 6.0 manifolds I'd probably go with his new 6.4 manifold over any of the others.

HD pistons that are coated and delipped are a must, stock pistons crack even on stock trucks on 6.4's. You can fly cut them but that's only advisable if you have a large grind cam.

New rockers are a good idea as well as the HD lifters with added oil bearing. You will need a trans with a good converter with some billet parts to hold the power, there are many good reputable builders out there including Tadd @ Elite Diesel, Morgan with Midwest Diesel, Suncoast and a few others.

For a 6.4, you really cant beat an H&S Unit with MCC tuning. If you are near Chicago, Josh Davis @ RCD isn't too far away and he now has a superflow dyno I believe and I guarantee could live tune your truck for you. That would be my recommendation.

My last piece of advice.....People say you don't need rods at this power level. I personally feel like it's a gamble. I've been getting away with stock rods now for about 2 years. Granted mine are cryo treated and have custom machined wrist pins and ARP rod bolt and cap bolts...and I don't have nitrous on the truck either. Also my truck does not run a single charger, it is compounded (so i really took a bigger risk) single trucks don't make the torque that compounds do so more single turbo 6.4s are common with stock rods. Mike Corsilli was making some serious power on his blue crew cab 6.4 with a big single s476 and stock rods and I believe it was making 1000+ for 2 seasons before his let go. He really liked to spray his truck too

That being said, if you want to make 800HP and do it right, I STRONGLY suggest if you have the $ to get a set of Wagler or Carrilo rods. Compounds make low end torque and torque is what kills rods. If you want to have a peace of mind in doing this build for that power level and not have to worry about your bottom end ever, I strongly suggest billet rods being put in. I wish I had done it to mine now.

FWIW if you were interested I'll make a you a good deal on my truck if you were interested. Turnkey 850+ HP

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
RCD doesn't make the 75 anymore due to shaft supply i believe, they were a wicked turbo though and finding one on someones shelf would be a bonus.

Black AOD

Reaction score
RCD doesn't make the 75 anymore due to shaft supply i believe, they were a wicked turbo though and finding one on someones shelf would be a bonus.

First I've heard of this. In that case, Elite 76/59 Workstocks are proven to make 800-850 with twin pumps and 60%

Latest posts

Members online